Winery room AC gone bad, help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Arne& Sammy, Local contractor wanted 2k for the unit plus install, similar prices on line, smallest unit I could find is 9k btu, a little over kill far a 10 X 12 room that is already 76*, going to Lowes now to get the Frig. 5K btu unit, $119, heat wave hitting us, so want to get one before they run out! Going to discharge into the garage for now, & when I'm happy with all will build a plenum so it discharges into the attic, fortunately there is a big roof vent right above where I'm putting the unit. Thanks again for all the responses, Roy

OK, I'm back from our boat trip, set up the 5K Btu Frig. AC in the door way blankets blocking off back flow & it does NOT shut OFF when the compressor cycles off. Temp dropped from 76.2* to 68* in less that 4 hrs, great but,the compressor cycles OFF but the FAN keeps running 24/7. That's NOT what I was looking for, I want the compressor & the FAN to shut .OFF! Seems that the unit exhausts air out of the room 24/7 just like the LG units.So Sammy does your Frig. Unit shut OFF when temp is reached, or just the compressor? & the fan still BLOWS. May have to return this unit also, amazing how little info the store/Internet actually have on their products. NO one could answer the ?? Does the fan shut off when the temp is reached. Roy

Dralarms, sorry to bother you again, talked to cust rep at Frig, they say the 6K btu has the Energy Saver Mode, not the 5K, BUT she said the fan cycles on & off every 20 seconds, it does not stay off. TMI, so my question is does your fan turn off & stay off until the compressor comes back on to cool the room? Because when the fan is on the unit exhausts room conditioned air to the outside, she said that's how they are all designed. Thanks, AC annal, Roy

On the GE unit, if you look at the blown up pic on the website you can see the "energy saver" mode setting. That is the setting I use and it works just like a regular house AC unit with a thermostat. Once the temp is reached the whole thing shuts down.

I think the rep has lost their mind. I don't use the energy saver setting because I'm trying to cool computers but I did try it and it shuts completely down between uses.

Update!

Well it took a while, but GE came thru. 6+ emails to GE customer service to confirm the unit would do what I wanted it to do, emails were quick finding the 6,400 btu unit locally was a challenge, everyone was telling me AC units are seasonal, & season is over in Fl! So I emailed my friends at GE customer service to see if the unit at Wallmart has the same features, they said it did, model # at Wallmart had a "W" regular model had a "M". Wallmart shipped the $148 AC to my door for free, that's $ 20 cheaper than the store, IF they had one in stock. Unit works great, cycles on & OFF totally!! Hey!!! Now I have to blow a hole thru the wall &install it properly. Cool wine soon, not to mention a cool bedroom if there is a big power outage, (unit will run on my Honda 2000i generator) wood floor next, Roy

Latest posts

Back