Winemaking bench ideas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I haven't done anything with wood except cut and screw boards together, so this will be new for me. Im meeting a guy tomorrow up at his property to pick out a fallen tree and mill the boards on site. Not sure what species of wood, this will be a game time decision.

The trip to the Sierras was somewhat anticlimactic. Being a novice, I didn't realize that the wood will need to dry for up to a year. Heck, I wait long enough for wine, I'm not waiting for a bench top. That lead us to the cut pile where we found 2X10x16 white pine. Done deal, cut the boards down for transport and the process begins. I'm not a woodworker and didn't care to buy tools that I may not use again, so I used what I had. I did buy a biscuit cutter for $10 on Craigslist.
9A20596E-5D3A-4554-AA1D-6C2A9C062F6C.jpg

C2CCEDE0-A6D3-490D-87CD-839353178B61.jpg

AF3DE551-E38D-4E84-9702-16CE357B3388.jpg

8B503AF3-FFEB-4043-82B8-32D18F03A8E8.jpg

09A025BC-2450-4146-8E3A-F8EB8CDD58E0.jpg

I'm not a pro woodworker either but how many biscuits on each seam?? I'd have one every 12"-16". Might consider some 2x2 bracing across the bottom side too. Sure going to look nice finished

G,

I have 6 of the biscuits in the 63 inch long length. I hope to attach the third board for the top and the two bottom boards today. I can see where having a planer would have been nice to get the boards nice and square.

Looks like a great choice. I guess it's too late to run them through a planer. My wine table top is slate. I covered the entire table with Super Glaze from Home Depot. It turned out awesome looking and gave me a smooth work surface.

I got the boards glued together and attached to the frame. The center board has an 1/8 of an inch crown in it. Not sure the best way too take care of it, or whether to mess with it all. I have to square the ends off still. Not sure the type of finish to put on it, keeping with the rustic theme in mind.

A6091E81-8BC9-46D7-96E8-8E4A34C7F47C.jpg

I got the boards glued together and attached to the frame. The center board has an 1/8 of an inch crown in it. Not sure the best way too take care of it, or whether to mess with it all. I have to square the ends off still. Not sure the type of finish to put on it, keeping with the rustic theme in mind.

A6091E81-8BC9-46D7-96E8-8E4A34C7F47C.jpg

If you have a cabinet / finish shop local, you can call and ask if they will run it through their large belt sander for you. I have a shop that will do that for me on the rare large project like this. You come out with a flat, sanded surface without purchasing expensive equipment. I think I paid 30 or 35 dollars last time I needed a large piece leveled on both sides.

Although this might be a little late (advice wise)...

Every board will have a cup. It is best to alternate the cup when doing your biscuit joining (one with cup up, then one with cup down). This way, the cupping will "cancel" each other out.

Looks great; I dont know how I didnt see this thread sooner (okay, okay, I know, but good luck getting me to admit it)..

I'd second the 'take the torch to it'.. But there's an art to it..
My grandpa, I know this sounds horrid, but he'd also take an old hammer to it and beat the hell out of it.
Sounds counter-intuitive, but he always polyurethane'd things until they reflected like a mirror.
"You kids can tear up a crowbar;" I can still hear him lol.

The polyurethane is/should be self-leveling, and after enough coats he'd get those hammer marks to smooth out. With the torch, the stain.. He made some beautiful pieces.
I'll be making a winemaking bench in this fashion, at some point, myself.
Thanks for the quick trip down memory lane

You've got a beautiful piece, there

Back