Winemaking bench ideas?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. I have inserts on order, so I can screw in feet or casters on the bench. I'd like to do a rustic, rusty type finish on the metal, then clear over it. For the top, I found a guy in the Sierras that will mill a tree right in front of me. He has fir and pecan. I don't know anything about wood, so trying to figure out what would look good and be functional.

I bought ten foot long laminate counter and built a frame to hold it. It cleans easily and gives me a work surface I can sanitize.

I decided to go real rustic on the frame. I cleaned the surface with alcohol (no, not that type) then spayed it with vinegar to cut the surface. This was followed by hydrogen peroxide salt solution that created instant rust. I spayed it last night, this is what it looks like this morning. I'll repeat until I get the darkness and texture I want, then clear over it.
Vinegar Spray in the eve.
CFCF2E8C-AED1-4B70-B06F-BCE69AD1D78D.jpg

Followed by hydrogen peroxide
96238083-E59A-4C4C-97AA-FA181C07E68B.jpg

Wow, I remember back in the day when we tried to get rid of rust. How things have changed. ;)

Yea, I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love old things and the patina that comes with it. I hope to clear coat and have the finish last for a while. The good thing is that it is reversible if I change my mind in the future or if the clear coat peels off.

I think it's going to look good with a rustic top. I've used vinegar on new galvanized hinges that I wanted to look old. It ate the coating off in a couple of days and rusted right away, I coated with a brushed matte varithane and they've held up great. I know you've already talked about someone milling rough wood for you but here's another idea for your tickler file. I went down to my local used industrial racking company and offered to buy some of the used 2x6 boards used as shelving slats in heavy duty racks. They let me take as much of the beat up stuff as I wanted. Picture attached shows one I made using different widths. I dowelled the boards together and used hand wrought nails to dress it up then stained and multiple matte clear coats to protect it. A 2 x whatever top and that steel base will hold up anything you can throw on it.
Looking good,
Mike

accent.jpg

Kraffty, love it. I definitely want the rustic look, so I'm not worried about spilling or dropping anything on it. I'm still trying to figure out how much of the rust will stay adhered to the metal, versus being able to brushed off. I want what remains on the metal to be pretty solid, before I clear it.

Yea, I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love old things and the patina that comes with it. I hope to clear coat and have the finish last for a while. The good thing is that it is reversible if I change my mind in the future or if the clear coat peels off.

I was just messing with ya. I love irony and watching the pendulum swing back and forth with trends is fascinating to me. I have no doubt your project will be beautiful.

Who knew you could create rust so easily! Looks great so far Norcal. Can't wait to see the top. WineMaker magazine?

Adding some color with a few different colors of paint / texture from left over spray paint from the garage and received the inserts for the feet. I plan on clear coating it this weekend and getting the wood the following weekend.
DD8B222F-A324-44D6-91C5-E98356624FA4.jpg

73e173cec9e2615d9fb444810ecb9786.jpg

You can cut up a 0000 steel wool pad and stuff it in a gallon of vinegar....a week later you wil have a non toxic wood stain...very cheap....will darken wood. Vinegar is great stuff!

That table is stout.....don't hurt yourself moving it around. As I've gotten older, my fondness for wheels has grown stronger!

I thought vinegar around wine making equipment was bad, does it evaporate to the point it doesn't hurt anything?

Out with the old. I'll save the wood for an upcoming project ($29 laser label alignment fixture). I have a appointment to drive up in to the Sierra Foothills and meet a guy with land and his own mill on Friday. He said he has a few species to choose from to mill the boards for the top.
28CC1931-3D05-46A6-8109-03FED0A1DD23.jpg

A9C8E02A-F5AE-4633-8DA4-CFB0975EB43B.jpg

Latest posts

Back