WineXpert Wine won't clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s0615353

Reaction score
I am taking a winexpert Pinot Blanc kit and am making it into a 6 gallon batch of sparkling wine. I added the bentonite before fermentation and fermented to 0.092 before degassing it three times and adding the isinglass. No sulfite or sorbate were added so it could go through secondary in the bottle. It has now been two weeks and the wine is still hazy. I tried adding a 1/2 dose of sparkalloid, and it made no real difference. Am I just impatient, or could this be a protein haze or other wine fault?

Protein haze is the number one cause of cloudy wine. I know some folks might be tired of hearing me say that! :hug Hit it with a dose of pectic enzyme (3 tsp of the powder version). It should clear right up, and it won't affect the color or flavor of the wine.

Can you wait a couple weeks more? The three RJS kits I made cleared dramatically in just days but my MM kit took about two weeks to clear the cloudy stuff and is now after about two more weeks slowly loosing its haze. The RJS and MM kits did use, I'm pretty certain, different clearing agents.

How do you know if it is protein haze, is there some way of testing this?

Doesn't the bentonite remove protein haze?

S0615353: You could try contacting Winexpert. Often times they will suggest an extra dose of the standard clearing agent, but contact them to be sure.

Steve

Thanks for the help, I tried the pectic and it didn't seem to clear up the wine. As a last resort I used super kleer and withing24 hours the wine was crystal clear.

I know you've solved this, but now I'm curious too! I've read that Isinglass will not work if not degassed fully. Now, I know you said you degassed it, but I'm wondering... if you didn't k-meta and sorbate it, could there have been enough residual yeast activity to add in just enough gas to screw with operations?

You need to be more patient, leave is sit for a few more weeks

Normally I do not even use clarifiers (except in kit wines) so patience is my middle name. However I was trying to have a finished batch of sparkling wine ready for New Year, so I am a little under the gun. If it wasn't for that I would let time work its magic. There may have some residual carbonation from not using sorbate and sulfite, so this could have definitely been a factor in the haze.

Latest posts

Back