Wine was clear then added finings..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoenix

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
I'm making a wine kit wine.
My house wasn't very warm so the 7 days turned into a month before it stopped bubbling.
I transferred it into demijohns for another two weeks and it was really clear
Read 998
Then I realized I hadn't added the flavor thing and so did that and added the first finings and stirred vigorously as instructed.
My wine went cloudy.I added the other thing after 3 hours and the second finings after an hour.
It's my wine going to be ok??
It actually tasted pretty good before all the chemicals???
I'm wondering if time is just better than chemicals or whether it will recover and taste better eventually it have I messed the whole thing up?
Wine is SG Sauvignon Blanc

Hi
My house wasn't very warm so the 7 days turned into a month before it stopped bubbling.
Read 998
Then I realized I hadn't added the flavor thing and so did that and added the first finings and stirred vigorously as instructed.
My wine went cloudy.I added the other thing after 3 hours and the second finings after an hour.
I'm wondering if time is just better than chemicals or whether it will recover and taste better eventually it have I messed the whole thing up?
You are doing fine. I recommend knowing what the chemicals are and why they are included. I’m a little surprised that a SB uses a flavor pack. If it is a flavor pack, then the packet of chemicals and fining agents also includes the appropriate dosage of potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate. Both are required whenever you back sweeten a wine or add flavorings. The two used together prevent and residual yeast from starting up more fermentation. Before bottling you want to make sure of this, otherwise you might encounter exploding bottles.

Keep your carboy topped off to reduce the amount of airspace. Even if you have to use some store bought white wine, any will do. Then let it sit for 3 months.

And last of all, welcome to WMT!

Welcome to WMT!

I agree with Bob on all points.

A while back I wrote a post describing the contents of a kit. This may help you understand everything.

One additional thought -- activity in an airlock doesn't tell you anything useful, as it can be the result of fermentation, degassing, and/or temperature or barometric changes. Always trust your hydrometer to tell you when fermentation is complete.

Flavor packs are typically added to wines that are backsweetened. Both Bob & I are surprised, as Sauvignon Blanc is not typically backsweetened, although obviously your kit does it. This is perfectly fine, it was just not what we'd expect.
I actually liked it before! I have another exact same pack. Maybe I will do it and not back sweeten it.
Thank you both.

Learning lots. 🥰

I actually liked it before! I have another exact same pack. Maybe I will do it and not back sweeten it.
Thank you both.

Learning lots. 🥰
Wines with flavor packs may be more acidic, as sugar and acid balance each other. Experiment a bit before you make a decision to exclude the flavor pack.

One option is to put a bit of syrup in a glass, then add 4 oz wine to it and other glass. Stir well and taste test.

I have a suggestion
get a note book and record the entire process you did
during and after the next batch you do keep records on it
After a while you will have a base of information on how stuff affects the process

these guys around here are probably tired of me keep talking about records, but that is how you learn

and also, behind every success, is a bunch of mistakes. Or at least questions on technique. As long as I have been doing this, each batch gets recorded.

THis is a great hobby, as I sit here going over this weeks postings, I am drinking a Rusty StrawBerry, one of my favorite half white grape and strawberry wines I do. I can honestly say that years of records have gotten where I can get the results I want for a style I am doing. I am no way a professional, just a hobbyist.

I have a suggestion
get a note book and record the entire process you did
during and after the next batch you do keep records on it
After a while you will have a base of information on how stuff affects the process

these guys around here are probably tired of me keep talking about records, but that is how you learn

and also, behind every success, is a bunch of mistakes. Or at least questions on technique. As long as I have been doing this, each batch gets recorded.

THis is a great hobby, as I sit here going over this weeks postings, I am drinking a Rusty StrawBerry, one of my favorite half white grape and strawberry wines I do. I can honestly say that years of records have gotten where I can get the results I want for a style I am doing. I am no way a professional, just a hobbyist.
My ex partners dad did this. Every "recipe" recorded. He did make lovely wine. ❤️

Hi
Read 998
Depending on the kit and what was included, the >order< of adding the materials may be the issue and not the ingredients.

My first wine was from a kit. I followed all the instructions on it and the end result was okay for me. It was too much grape flavor figured out I am more for Fruits.

So I started another from a wine making book and it was Blueberry. That one turned out great. I learned how to infuse the blueberries into it from beginning to end results.
Now I'm in the middle of a pineapple mango wine just waiting on it to clear.

I found this site looking for more ideas on other flavors to try. 😁

Hi
Read 998
What exactly is a "flavor thing"? Not familiar with that terminology. Also, fermenting for an entire month doesn't really ring true. Most kits are done primary within a week. What kit were you working on?

What exactly is a "flavor thing"? Not familiar with that terminology. Also, fermenting for an entire month doesn't really ring true. Most kits are done primary within a week. What kit were you working on?
The flavor thing is an add back there's a picture of the packet in previous reply.
Mine was fermenting for a month. I think because the house is cold circa 10°C / 50Fand gets up to 12° C /53F maybe 14°C / 57F on a really good day and when the radiators are on (3 hours a day) the yeast seems to bubble fairly frequently when the radiators are on and allies down when they are off. I rotate the tubs when the radiators are on and my tubs are wrapped in two down duvets and a foam exercise mat to keep in any heat.
I set a red wine off three weeks ago and it's still really active (I now have temps of around 17°c and no radiators on so figured I would give the red a go.
When I opened the lid off the white in question it was still really frothy.
I'm now at the two month mark and just bottled it.
Btw. It tastes fantastic. Really clean and crisp. !!

Wines with flavor packs may be more acidic, as sugar and acid balance each other. Experiment a bit before you make a decision to exclude the flavor pack.

One option is to put a bit of syrup in a glass, then add 4 oz wine to it and other glass. Stir well and taste test.
Thank you. I did add it and it tastes lovely now.
Thank you and everyone for their encouragement and advice 😊

Do you have to add K-meta? I'm new and have no idea what this is?
I made an elderflower wine 7 years ago with nothing except yeast and elderflower.
I only lost one bottle that leaked out of 20.
I found a few bottles in the cellar last week and it still tastes like elderflower. Albeit not as sparkling (I used a champagne yeast) as it was the first year after it was made and considerably (probably too dry) dryer.

What did k-Meta do and why is it better than finings and the other thingy that comes with the finings in a kit. ??

Do you have to add K-meta? I'm new and have no idea what this is?
I made an elderflower wine 7 years ago with nothing except yeast and elderflower.
I only lost one bottle that leaked out of 20.
I found a few bottles in the cellar last week and it still tastes like elderflower. Albeit not as sparkling (I used a champagne yeast) as it was the first year after it was made and considerably (probably too dry) dryer.

What did k-Meta do and why is it better than finings and the other thingy that comes with the finings in a kit. ??
K-meta and fining agents are completely different entities with completely different purposes and effects.

K-meta is an antioxidant, anti-microbial, and preservative. It neutralizes contaminants (including O2) by combining with them and rendering them harmless. It kills or stunts many hostile microbial lifeforms, including wild yeast, and generally acts as a preservative. Wines made without sulfites typically have a shorter shelf life.

Fining agents are various types of charged ions that attract particles in the wine and cause them to precipitate. Most wines clear with time, although not all.

Kits contain fining agents because of the short timeline, typically 4 to 8 weeks. Very few wines will clear in that time.

Back