Wine conditioner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
What is a good formula for making a simple syrup to back sweeten wine? bk

Make sure you stabalize the wine before sweetening. Otherwise you will be in the ball park waiting for a referment. Good luck with it, Arne.

Homer, I use a slightly different recipe which is two parts sugar to one part water. I heat the mixture but not to a boil to completely dissolve the sugar and then let it cool.

I do the exact same as rocky...2 to 1, and not boil.. if i want to add a fruit i do that also, then strain....

Why not just add plain sugar straight from the bag?

That's what I did for my last DB batch... Would it cause any issues later on down the road? I didn't seem to have any issues but all that wine got drunk within 3 months.

Why not just add plain sugar straight from the bag?

I had the same question so did some research and found an answers from the bartender realm. Apparently bartenders use SS for a lot of mixed drinks ans find that in cold liquid and in alcohol sugar crystals have a hard time dissolving. If I got it right with SS the crystals are already fully dissolved so less mixing is needed then if regular sugar is used.

My guess with wine is that you'll need to stir/mix more to get the sugar disolved, as opposed to simple sugar. Maybe run greater risk of introducing O2 into your wine?

Bartenders have to take into account the water in SS and it is the reason why many prefer the 2:1 vs the 1:1 SS recipe. Guess us wine makers have to also give a little though to the water in SS.

Last edited:
Ya of course you must mix vigorously and need enough room in your carboy to do so... But I don't think that oxidation would be too much of a problem if you're only doing it once... Just my thoughts

My method is course filtering stabilize wine wait 24hrs back sweeten to liking let sit 24hrs then final filtering. This way no crystals or anything...I hate adding any water to my wines. Granted a 2/1 ratio is not bad but your still adding water....

No problem adding solid sugar. Bartenders use a syrup because it instantly dissolves. Since we usually sweeten and let the wine sit for a some time before bottling, there's no rush for the sugar to dissolve. I add it, give it a good careful stir and then come back a week later and stir it one more time. Or just wait to rack and bottle at a later date. The sugar gets plenty mixed up and dissolved.

Another alternative is to take a portion of your wine and us that to gently heat and dissolve your sugar (2:1 sugar to wine), then add that syrup back. I wouldn't heat it too much. That way you don't dilute your wine by adding water.

Latest posts

Back