Will too much yeast nutrient cause a stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I put twice as much nutrient than a recipe called for and the ferment has stopped at 1.020.

I was wondering if so much nutrient may have negatively impacted the ability to ferment to the dry point.

I have started a yeast starter with some wine, some sugar and Fermaid K. Hopefully that will kick it off again.

continue to add wine to yeast starter, one cup then wait util ferment is active, then two cups await activity continue doubling wine volume each time until all wine is fermenting

Also after the starter gets going your gonna want to avoid FermK. And anything that includes DAP really.—at least that’s what they say. I think it was when your near 10%abv is when to start avoiding DAP.
Good luck man. Making a proper yeast starter is work. And time consuming. When stuck at a lower SG can be really difficult to get finished. But at 1.020 I think you’ve got a good amount of sugar left to be able to finish it off.
I used Uvaferm43 yeast when I attempted my restart. Was gonna be either that or EC1118.

But to address the question you asked - can you stall a fermentation with too much nutrient? I don't know any evidence for that hypothesis and indeed, I routinely add far more nutrient than the labs suggest but then I generally make mead and honey has no useful nutrients as far as the yeast is concerned. The only downside I can imagine is that with excessive amounts of yeast added after the yeast has begun to flocculate that nutrient is then a haven for any bacteria or wild yeast that is alcohol tolerant.. so they, together with the compounds in the nutrient, MAY result in off flavors.

continue to add wine to yeast starter, one cup then wait util ferment is active, then two cups await activity continue doubling wine volume each time until all wine is fermenting

Should I do this with vacuum in a carboy or dip out of primary and pour in a new primary bucket?

Back