Why do you need fruit in your wine? How come you can't just add water, yeast and sugar? Or can you???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody didn't do their homework! There are threads here for "water wine". Detention! 😄
I think the answer to your thread question is because we like things to taste good. Once something tastes good, we want it to taste better. Once it tastes better, we want it to taste great. Once it tastes great......

Simple answer to how much fruit? You decide. It's just like cooking - a wine recipe is merely a proven and successful starting point.

That's why I would rather ask. That is the best advice I've been given ever. Much more confidence now. Thank you.
Somebody didn't do their homework! There are threads here for "water wine". Detention! 😄
I think the answer to your thread question is because we like things to taste good. Once something tastes good, we want it to taste better. Once it tastes better, we want it to taste great. Once it tastes great......

Simple answer to how much fruit? You decide. It's just like cooking - a wine recipe is merely a proven and successful starting point.
That's why I would rather ask. That is the best advice I've been given ever. Much more confidence now. Thank you.Screenshot_20220325-210512_Chrome.jpg

Unless you are making coconut water wine. Then you use coconut water, sugar and yeast. Coming soon.
I only put the coconut water from 4 coconuts in. I did research here and it said only use the flesh if it's soft so that's not in there. It's more for the title. "90 per cent of taste is presentation", is a chef's motto. Mango and Coconut sounds so yummy doesn't it.

How do they work out how much fruit to put in the fermentation?
Experimentation. Many years of experimentation. WMT makes it easier, 'cuz we can share old knowledge plus new practical experimentation. @BigDaveK's explanation is a great guide for "how to experiment". :)

Generally speaking, heavy fruit like elderberry need less fruit, light fruit like strawberries need more. Acidic fruit like blueberries need less fruit OR should be blended with lower acid fruit.

H E Bravery wrote home winemaking books in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and his recipes are low fruit as he wanted the country wines to taste more like grape wines. Today? Most folks on WMT want country wines to taste like the fruit -- when I make apple, it smells and tastes like apple ... with a bit of a kick.

If you're trying something new, search for recipes and read a bunch. Some are good, some are bad, and some are brutally ugly. Ask questions here, as it's almost certain someone else has tried to ferment it. I'm a big believer in living vicariously through the mistakes of others (which means I've made enough mistakes to not want more!).

Years ago we were using a couple of drops of everclear on a cottonball after our kids had gone swimming to get their ears dry or some reason (As recommended by out AF Base doctor).
Told a co-worker about it she asked me to pick up a bottle for her too.
Back at office (Yes during work hours) I handed her the bottle and said, whatever you do don't try sipping that stuff straight.
Yeah, she didn't want anyone telling what she should do. So she cracked the bottle open and took a good swig straight.
The entire office got to hear her gasping for breath etc for several minutes.
Some folks just have to learn the hard way.

Last edited:
Mmakes total sense. Thanks for that
Experimentation. Many years of experimentation. WMT makes it easier, 'cuz we can share old knowledge plus new practical experimentation. @BigDaveK's explanation is a great guide for "how to experiment". :)

Generally speaking, heavy fruit like elderberry need less fruit, light fruit like strawberries need more. Acidic fruit like blueberries need less fruit OR should be blended with lower acid fruit.

H E Bravery wrote home winemaking books in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and his recipes are low fruit as he wanted the country wines to taste more like grape wines. Today? Most folks on WMT want country wines to taste like the fruit -- when I make apple, it smells and tastes like apple ... with a bit of a kick.

If you're trying something new, search for recipes and read a bunch. Some are good, some are bad, and some are brutally ugly. Ask questions here, as it's almost certain someone else has tried to ferment it. I'm a big believer in living vicariously through the mistakes of others (which means I've made enough mistakes to not want more!).

Latest posts

Back