Whitegrape-Raspberry stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I used Cotes Des Blancs yeast in this wine. It was started at 1085. It fermented to 1005 in about 2 days and then to 1002 or so....and thats where it sits currently for a week. Is this considered a 'stuck fermentation'? If so, what causes it? Can it be restarted or should it be? I started this off in TWO carboys...about 1/2 gallon of must in each. Then when it got to about 1005, I combined them into one...it was only slightly fermenting at that point and then in a few days began to settle out. Its clearing now.

Is this a problem? I ask because to date, I have not had a wine NOT go to 994-996. My pomegranate, which used the same yeast (and was started at 1100) took almost two weeks to ferment out to 994, but it did. Ideas? I had to top the raspberry wine up with white wine, to get the headspace out of it...

hmmmm....No advice? Its been sitting under air lock for a week now with nothing changing...should i try to restart it? It is still at 1002.

Last edited:
Sorry, never saw this post. Id be happy with what it is and wouldnt try and do anything with it. Some of these concoctions have unfermentable sugars in them making it almost impossible to go below where you are at or even higher. That being said what is the temp of this as if its too cool that will stop a fermentation also and could start up later in the bottle. If its around mid 70's then I stabilize and continue on, if its much cooler Id warm it up and see what happens just to be sure.

Temps are generally mid 70's.

Thanks for the advice...ill carry on. Im going to let it clear a little more, then rack, stabilize, etc.

What is an 'unfermentable sugar'? I know....its a sugar that can't be fermented....but what about it is different than what CAN be fermented? Is it a sugar thing or a yeast thing or both?

Latest posts

Back