white wine concentrate vs grape wine concentrate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I am making corn whiskey and the recipe calls for 40 oz of white grape concentrate and I don't have it but I have grape concentrate - can I substitute? Would it make much difference and how?It is a 5 gallon batch. Thanks

what do you mean by "grape concentrate"? Like welch's purple grape juice concentrate or the silver bags called "grape concentrate" from your homebrew shop?

TENNISTOWINE

This is a wine site, we can not discuss how or what you need to do with corn whiskey. Sorry, but this discussion can not continue.

:slp It is a wine. I got the recipe from a winemaker's recipe handbook. That is just the name he calls it. I am referring to Welche's white grape concentrate vs Welche's grape concentrate.

Last edited:
Could you write down the recipe for all to see then we can help you better when you ask for advise

2 # corn
1/2 pt wht grape conc.
3 oranges
12 peppercorns
1 gal water
3 1/2 # sugar
3 tsp acid blend
1 tsp energizer
1campden crushed
1 pkg sherry yeast
starting SG 1.110-120
1. wash off ears, cut off and weigh out kernals. Using nylon straining bag, crush and squeeze out juice of kernels into primary fermentor. If used , grate rinf of oranges and add peppercorns into bag. Sqweeze out juice from orange (discard pulp). With corn pulp in bag, tie top and place in primary. @. Stir in all other ingredients EXCEPT yeast. Cover primary. 3. After 24 hours. add yeast. Cover primary. 4. Stir daily, check SG and press pulp ligghtly to aid extraction. 5. When ferment reaches 1.04 (about 3-5 days) strain juice lightly from bag. Syphon wine off sediment into glass jug secondary. Attach airlock. 6. When ferment is complete (about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. Reattach airlock. 7. To aid clearing syphon again in 2 months and again if neceassy before bottling.

for this recipe I would use the white grape concentrate

Here is the recipe that one of our other members posted on this type of wine

2lbs cracked corn
1lb. Chopped raisins
3 lbs. sugar
4 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
½ tsp tannin
Water to 1 gallon
1 crushed Campden tablet
Champagne or Sherry wine yeast, …………I used LALVIN EC-118

Instructions said to put in Primary and cover with plastic, I covered with cheese cloth. I used a starter( boiled a cup of orange juice and after it cooled added the yeast ). Waited over night and added ,didn’t take off so I made another starter and after 4 or 5 hours added it too. The S.G reading was 1.110 and 1.120( two different 5 gallon buckets).
Instructions said to leave in primary for two weeks, after 1 week(today) I had a reading of ( S.G. 1010 and 1.020) I moved to secondary. I have 5 (1 gallon) jars and two of them are bubbling at a fast rate, the other three are not doing much. The instructions say to leave in Secondary for 6 months ,racking every 2 months until S.G is 0.990. Don’t think it is going to be that long before it is at this reading.
Do you think I screwed this up? Only my 4th batch of wine to make so wasn’t sure to leave it in Primary another week, it would have been completely dry don’t you think? Anyway , any feedback would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back