White Grape Peach stoped off dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Junior
Reaction score
I have a White Grape Peach Wine thats been going for about a month, OG of 1.096, racked to secondary after a week at 1.02 and 1.005 after 2 weeks, week later right at 1.005 still. was going to be a sweet wine. should I let it sit longer? or would racking and stablizing be a good idea right now? Yeast was Cote De Blanc, fermentation temp was around 18-20C

I have a three gallon batch of White Grape Peach that I started on 3-22-13. It seemed to be fermenting slowly & I began to worry. A friend advised me to feed it less than a cup of simple syrup. Well it did the job ! Tasted and tested it today, will rack it after Easter, breaking it into three , one gallon jugs that I will top off if needed.it will then set for a week to ten days with airlock then I will stop fermentation with a camden tablet then 24 hrs later a 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate. Totally a sweet country dessert wine... the way we like it !

I have a White Grape Peach Wine thats been going for about a month, OG of 1.096, racked to secondary after a week at 1.02 and 1.005 after 2 weeks, week later right at 1.005 still. was going to be a sweet wine. should I let it sit longer? or would racking and stablizing be a good idea right now? Yeast was Cote De Blanc, fermentation temp was around 18-20C

Sounds like its "stuck" to me... If it was at 1.005 for a week, its not going to move any farther without help.. It's too late to add more nutrient or energizer as there'd be too much leftover for microbes/nasties to feed on.. You could try warming it up (75F) for a week or so, and see if the SG moves..

Might check for gross lees to have formed though, you'd want to rack off that as it'll produce off-flavors in the wine if left too long.. If its been sitting and hasnt moved for a week, you might find a good-bunch of it gathered at the bottom of the carboy already

You *could* stabilize it now, if you're in a hurry.. I usually let my wines bulk age, and clear most of the way before i stabilize / backsweeten.. Gives me time to see if im going to have any haze/smell/taste issues before i add the flavoring (because that will cloud things up in itself, but i like to know what causes the haze)

I cant find the info for cote de blanc off hand, but im pretty sure its a 14% ABV-tolerant yeast; in which case, it had the potential to eat all that sugar, just didnt for one reason or another - you're at about 12% right now

I have a three gallon batch of White Grape Peach that I started on 3-22-13. It seemed to be fermenting slowly & I began to worry. A friend advised me to feed it less than a cup of simple syrup. Well it did the job ! Tasted and tested it today, will rack it after Easter, breaking it into three , one gallon jugs that I will top off if needed.it will then set for a week to ten days with airlock then I will stop fermentation with a camden tablet then 24 hrs later a 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate. Totally a sweet country dessert wine... the way we like it !

Just to clarify....the addition of Campden and sorbate does not EVER stop a ferment. If you still have live yeast and sugar available, and add Campden/sorbate, the yeast that are there will just continue to eat the sugar--they just will not reproduce.

You need to allow this ferment to reach its natural FG, then serially rack until degassed, clear and no longer dropping sediment for preferably sixty days and then stabilize with Campden/sorbate and then backsweeten. Rack one final time before bottling if sediment has dropped. This typically is done over six months from the time ferment is dry to ready to bottle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Only a novice to this but have some accomplished elders in our French Village area that are assisting. Have fallen in love with this hobby after starting a new career at a winery.

Latest posts

Back