White Grape cranberry startup mistake...advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I got my SG at 1085 for jack kellers recipe for welchs concentrate wine.

Normally, I add all ingredients including campden except yeast nutrient.

This time I added yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme first...

Should I wait a while to add campden or just add campden now and add MORE pectic enzyme later?

The juice was not heated up first so it should have its standard amount of sulfite.

Perhaps there are enough sulfites (plus some from sanitizing the carboys with Na-meta) in the concentrate already and I should just add my yeast starter after 12 or 24 hours?

Last edited:
I added campden. So in 12 or 20 hours I will add a few more drops of enzyme and proceed as usual.

The point is that dried yeast does not take sulphite well.
They will soak up anything they encounter and are still weak.
So when using dried yeast pitch thye campden, wait 20 hours and then add the yeast.

A yeast starter is strong enough to not be affected by a normal level of campden.

Enzymes have no harm from campden, again unless campden is present in large quantities.

The enzymes will however not work in an environment where yeast is present.

You can read a detailed story on that here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/01/avonturen-op-het-pecto-pad-deel-2.html

So the right procedure is:

- add nutrients, sulphite and pectic enzymes
- wait 24 hours
- pitch yeast.

So if you are pitching more enzymes, wait 24 hours before pitching the yeast otherwise there is no use in adding extra enzymes.

Luc

I guess I always thought that the enzyme could not function properly under campden if you put it in with it instead of waiting 12 hours or so? Interesting.

I will add my activated yeast in 24 hours or so when I get a chance. I always make a starter solution.

Yeah - but like luc said - in large quantities it will affect pectic. Usually waiting allows the initial addition of k-meta to dissipate a bit - giving the pectic a better chance to work.

Back