RJ Spagnols White Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smiley13.gif

I have finally tasted mine and it doesnt resemble White Chocolate IMO, more of a weak Butterscotch. If it was strong tasting it would be better but so far Im not that excited about it. Hopefully time will change this.

Most "white chocolates" taste closer to butterscotch than chocolate to me. There is no standard of identity set by the FDA for white chocolate, but the process is really different than regular chocolate. Mostly no cocoa solids from the chocolate liquor are used in the process, giving it a distinctly different texture and taste than regular chocolate. Hershey's white kisses kind of have that flavor to me. There are a lot of different methods the kit manufactures could use to try and achieve a white chocolate flavor I suppose.

Good info JW. Its not bad just not as god as I was expecting but like I said time may change that like my Ice wine. That Ice wine was disgusting when made and is now awesome.

Is there any need to leave this in secondary any longer than the directions state. It looks nice and clear
smiley1.gif
?

thx

Time is always a good thing as even clear wines can drop out sediment that isnt seen. Every wine will benefit from a little or more extra time in carboy.

Since it's been a few months since the last post in this thread, was wondering if anyone has noticed any changes in taste to this yet? I might be able to get my hands on another one of these, but am hesitant due to the comments so far.

But than if you like butterscotch...
smiley36.gif
...Maybe this is for you...

Some Port kits call for the addition of 375 - 750 ml of Brandy to fortify the wine and give it some bite. Would one recommand to add Brandy to a White Chocolate White Port kit?

JagsroyEdited by: jagsroy

I would taste it first before you add anything. It tastes mor like butterscotch to me though.

Adding brandyto fortify is kind of up to personal taste....Some ports I've made I have fortified others not [didn't feel they needed it]....Give it a good taste test...If you feel a bit of brandy will help, go for it...It's your wine...You only need to please yourself....Good luck..
smiley1.gif

HMMMMMM?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif

I racked mine one more time since Oct. it still tastes more as wade described crem brulee, but still good. I am considering bulk aging for another month or 2 to see if the flavor changes. but i am also considering fortifing a gallon or so. can this be done b4 i bottle or should i split it now and let it age fortified.
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
?
smiley5.gif
?

Doesnt matter o the fortifying. I wish mine tasted like Creme Brulee, I love that stuff, mine tastes more like butterscotch which is ok but not my favorite.

wade said:
Doesnt matter o the fortifying. I wish mine tasted like Creme Brulee, I love that stuff, mine tastes more like butterscotch which is ok but not my favorite.

well wade i was bouncing all over the place trying to find the WCP post. sorry i miss quoted you/someone else.

thx for for the fortify info.

rube

Yep, I just bottled the creme brulee port :) I tastes just like the dessert. I didn't fortify, just bottled as is. I do believe this will be put away for awhile to let it age and let the flavors emerge; if we can.
smiley1.gif

I wish mine tasted more like Creme Brulee to me, hopefully with more time it will or at least white chocolate like its supposed to.

Wade,

I will become worried for you if I see you with some sugar granules and a blow torch near your wine to get that nice creme brulee flavor. :)

- Jim

Back