Which type of yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypsy509

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
We live in Florida and have been making wine for about 25 years now. We have a self contained and temperature controlled wine cellar with our equipment and make about 100 gallons total of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Syrah each year.
Up until now we have never added any sulphites, yeast or additives. We learned from my Italian father-in-law who had been a winemaker for over 50 years and that is how he made his wine.
I have been doing research and would like to try and add some yeast this year but there are so many strains to choose from that it is very confusing. I was thinking of either ICV-D254 or RP15 for making 70 gallons of Petite Syrah.
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,
Gypsy509

I’m on opposite end. Attempting the old school way for the 1st time this year.

D-254 is a proven winner. And part of a popular combo (maybe the most popular) of d254 and d80. And then blending together later. Tried this on a Malbec split into 2 ferments in May. I’ll be Blending in a barrel shortly. But so far The d254 has much stronger and more desirable bouquet. Haven’t tasted yet.
I’m unfamiliar with RP-15

John - are you blending your Cab this year or just 100% Cab?

I'm doing 100% Cab this year. Have my order in for the premium cab, but won't know whether or not it's available until harvest, it just depends upon the yield in the vineyard as to whether or not they can fill my order. If it's not available, I'll be doing the Lodi Cab that I did some of last year. In either case, the ferments will be separated with different yeasts and blended together once MLF has completed and the wine goes into a 60 gallon barrel. I'll probably crush and destem a few lugs into a third, smaller vessel to do a ferment with natural yeasts as well, and that will be blended into the mix if it works out.

I'm doing 100% Cab this year. Have my order in for the premium cab, but won't know whether or not it's available until harvest, it just depends upon the yield in the vineyard as to whether or not they can fill my order. If it's not available, I'll be doing the Lodi Cab that I did some of last year. In either case, the ferments will be separated with different yeasts and blended together once MLF has completed and the wine goes into a 60 gallon barrel. I'll probably crush and destem a few lugs into a third, smaller vessel to do a ferment with natural yeasts as well, and that will be blended into the mix if it works out.

That sounds good.

My grapes are from Lodi. I'll be doing a Cab/Cab Franc/Merlot blend this year (dominantly Cab). BM4x4 and VP41 for yeast and malo.

That sounds good.

My grapes are from Lodi. I'll be doing a Cab/Cab Franc/Merlot blend this year (dominantly Cab). BM4x4 and VP41 for yeast and malo.
I like merlot and cab franc, the real cab. not cab sav. cant stand it.

I don't have a favorite yet, there are too many I haven't tried. There is one that noone seems to ever mention which is Vintner's Harvest R56 I don't know what it's like on it's own because I always blend. I also like to use yeasts known to be compatible with MLF. 71B-1122 is one I keep on hand as one of my blenders for this reason. But I've always had luck with D254, D80, RC212, BM45, BM4X4, Clos, Syrah and Rhone 4600. I have 2 packs of PR15 I will be using for the first time this fall.

I like merlot and cab franc, the real cab. not cab sav. cant stand it.

I’m callin BS! You can’t stand Cab? But like merlot and cab franc? Bold reds. And grow 100 other varietals at your joint?

What’s your beef with Cab Sav?
Because it just so happens to be the grape that gets the most focus- the most TLC- and made into some of the biggest boldest wines around. Often with all kinds of things going on in a good one.
And some of the good ones— the really good ones, but not necessarily the most expensive ones, I find myself blown away by he powerful bouquet. And first taste can think “Now THIS is the gold standard. This is what a big bold dry red is supposed to be like!”

Maybe you just haven’t had a good one. [emoji6]

That sounds good.

Sounds like a nice blend. My last year batch was all Lodi as well, 66% Cab, 16.5% Merlot, 16.5% Petite Sirah, BM4x4, VP41, been in a new St. Martin French barrel for almost a year now. The edge is starting to come off now, but not much oak yet, hoping to leave it in for another year.

I’m callin BS! You can’t stand Cab? But like merlot and cab franc? Bold reds. And grow 100 other varietals at your joint?

What’s your beef with Cab Sav?
Because it just so happens to be the grape that gets the most focus- the most TLC- and made into some of the biggest boldest wines around. Often with all kinds of things going on in a good one.
And some of the good ones— the really good ones, but not necessarily the most expensive ones, I find myself blown away by he powerful bouquet. And first taste can think “Now THIS is the gold standard. This is what a big bold dry red is supposed to be like!”

Maybe you just haven’t had a good one. [emoji6]

Cab Sauv is the most planted grape in the world. Someone must like it.
https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/01/cabernet-now-worlds-most-planted-grape/

Sounds like a nice blend. My last year batch was all Lodi as well, 66% Cab, 16.5% Merlot, 16.5% Petite Sirah, BM4x4, VP41, been in a new St. Martin French barrel for almost a year now. The edge is starting to come off now, but not much oak yet, hoping to leave it in for another year.

John, what size barrel is that? Must be a large if there's not much oak after a year.

John, what size barrel is that? Must be a large if there's not much oak after a year.

His Frenchie is a 30gal. Apparently these Saint Martin french barrels take a while to give off the essence. Which is intentional so ya can reap the microO2 benefits in a smaller barrel just as ya would in a full. They toast their non-fullys to a “medium long” i(smaller flame over a longer time period) instead of med-plus to counter the “smaller volume/ less time needed” aspect that is typical of most smaller barrels.
I know this because when I did my research Saint Martin was the only undersized french barrel I could get in the US and spoke with their US rep multiple times.

It’s a 30 gallon barrel with a fairly big wine in it. Still super fruity and tannic, but the oak will eventually shine through........at least that’s the plan!! This year I’m doing a 60, hopefully Alain Fouquet if I can get it...

Its more of everyone lemming training onto the bandwagon than really enjoying it. I don't like it and think its overproduced junk. And it tends to be the same or not very good.

Just remember That wagon didn’t form from nothing. Was a legitimate reason the lemmings hopped on.
Plus Your generalizing all the cabs produced as a whole. But not all grapes are grown the same. And not all wine is made the same. That is blatant Grapeism. #CabSavLivesMatter

Its more of everyone lemming training onto the bandwagon than really enjoying it. I don't like it and think its overproduced junk. And it tends to be the same or not very good.

I purposely ignored the first anti-cab comment, as you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect your right to your opinion. I, however, don’t share it. It would be nice if you were respectful of others preferences instead of characterizing everyone who likes cab as “lemming training onto the bandwagon”.

My opinion is that Cabernet Sauvignon is the king of wine, and is what I prefer over all other varietals, though Petite Sirah gives it a hard run in my book. I buy and consume some of the finest cabs produced and make a fair amount of my own from grapes, and will continue to do so.

Cabernet Sauvignon makes great wine. No lemmings needed to figure that out. It sounds like "Sideways" where the protagonist doesn't like Merlot for no good reason.

I also agree that Petite Sirah is almost always interesting and worth a try and second look. Even a little bit blended into Zinfandel makes a much better wine, but it stands on it's own just fine too. I want to make some of my own this year and hopefully a source and an open Saturday will coincide!

@CK55 I actually think your "opinion" is a weird bias with no thoughtful basis. Making categorical statements is not credible. In fact, I'll bet you can't blind taste a Cabernet vs a Merlot vs a Cab Franc or even a Zinfandel! (and not sure I could either, but happy to try!)

As for "overpriced" sadly, you are right. The Napa cabs I drank 30 years ago in my poverty 20s, are now so expensive that it demands an occasion. But wines from the foothills around here are top flight-Amador, El Dorado etc have fantastic wine at reasonable prices. It reminds me of Napa 30 years ago. And for me, it's a 40 minute drive on a Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, to paint with such a broad brush, that all Cabs are "overpriced junk" only suggests to all that you are an uninformed and inexperienced wine consumer. Sorry to have to say that, but it's so. I hope you will open your mind a bit and experience what's out there.

I purposely ignored the first anti-cab comment, as you’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I respect your right to your opinion. I, however, don’t share it. It would be nice if you were respectful of others preferences instead of characterizing everyone who likes cab as “lemming training onto the bandwagon”.

My opinion is that Cabernet Sauvignon is the king of wine, and is what I prefer over all other varietals, though Petite Sirah gives it a hard run in my book. I buy and consume some of the finest cabs produced and make a fair amount of my own from grapes, and will continue to do so.

Well said.

Back