Which bottle filler is best?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, those do sound like worthwhile advantages. I will scan the forum for homemade fillers to use as an example.

I do have a vacuum pump, one I got from Harbour Freight, but I really dislike it. It seems to exude a smelly superfine mist of oil into the air. Not enough to coat anything, but enough to turn your stomach with the odor. I throw a paper towel over the air outlet to filter it, but I find it really disagreeable to use it in the house.

Are there any better type of vacuum pumps? By better, I mean that pull enough vacuum for bottle filling and degassing, but which don't emit the oil vapor and stench?

Yep, you bought an pump that is not oiless and needs maintained. I dont like those as like you said they smell and also spray a very fine mist unseen to the eye if there isnt a filter to catch it. If I were you Id look into the Allinone pump in the banner above^ right in the center of the page. You might have to refresh the page a few times as its a rotating banner system so there are a few advertisers here with banners.

Last edited:
Well, now I don't know what I'm going to do. I thought it was going to be a simple "one or the other", but now I have other options to consider. I don't need another pump, so that narrows the field down a little. I'm re-working my "winery" so I don't need another do-it-yourself project. I'll probably end up "buying may way out"---more money but less stress. Anybody have a coin?? :?:?:?:?

If it were a choice between the Enol or the Boun Id go Enol any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For people looking for gauges, or regulators - check Grainger.com I found a small brass vacuum regulator I use when I rack - keeps the pace manageable and lets me turn up the vac. when I degas. (My pump is a craigslist oilless compressor/vacuum w/ more power than I need - $20) Grainger is usually pretty affordable and have a ton of fittings, etc..... of course check the LHBS first, then the suppliers here.

The above post is the way to go IMO!!!! Let me tell you that going around trying to find all the right stuff is a total PITA!!!! This place has this part but not that and when yopu go to that place they ran out so you end up with 12 reducers to get down to that size and spend 3 times as much doing so not to mention driving around and driving yourself nuts.

When I was selling all the stuff to make up the complete kit for racking degassing and filtering believe me it took some serious effort to find all of them and at a gooid price for all so as to be able to sell them at a decent price to you guys.

Well, I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Enolmatic when I received a PM from vacuumpumpman. After a few PM's, I decided to go with his bottle filler attachment. :br I didn't need the pump since I already had one. I tried it out today and man, was it slick. Didn't spill a drop. And I saved well over $200. If anybody is looking for an inexpensive and effective bottling system, give Steve a call.

Glad you went that way especially since you already had 1/2 of it. I do believe I told you to go this way!!! LOL, told you so!!!!!!!

Flem, Glad you took our recommendations, it works great & clean up is so easy. I just started storing mine in a sealed 5 gal. bucket with K-meta in the bottom. After flushing with a K-meta mix & cleaning all my other goodies, hoses,funnels,etc. I put them all in my bucket [I don't put the metal vacuum release in there]. that way they should all be ready to go next time. Roy

Hey guys. What about for a commercial application? I have the AIO that I use for racking and degassing but it's not ideal for customer bottling sessions. I'm looking at the Enolmatic (which I have now but it's started 'squealing' and doesn't fill properly unless you have the bottle in a precise position even after replacing gasket and sanitizing after each use) or the Buon Vino table top filler. I like the automatic nature of the Enol - not having to push a button each fill) but the Buon looks sturdier. Any opinions?

Pulled the trigger on an enolmatic today. Dependable and easy to use for my customers.

Back