When should I see grapes forming?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXfanatic

Reaction score
Last year I had to thin out an acquired concord grape vine. Whoever owned the house prior must not have pruned it for a while. After doing some reading and watching some videos I thinned it out. There is plenty of foliage but as of 7/15 I don't see any grape clusters. I don't think I stressed it so much that it's trying to heal and not reproduce but I may have.

Also

The wife and I have been checking the wild grape vines on another piece of land and we have only found a few clusters. This is a very small amount of clusters for the amount of vines growing.

BTW I live in central WI

Thanks Steve

clusters should have been forming in the spring, you should have grapes by now. Grapes only form on new growth. I have a wild vine next to the house, lots of leaves and only saw one set of blooms this spring, but nothing now. In some varitals there are male and female plants, one has grapes the other not.
If you have nothing now, doubt you will see anything this year.

That's what I was afraid of. The vine needed to be brought back into control and probably again this winter too. It was a mass of vines that were all tangled into a canopy. The wild ones on the other property have a few small clusters that look very young. Oh well. There's plenty of other fruits available use.

Thanks for the reply

Steve

Back