when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diablo rojo kit

lets run this one thought from top to bottom so far looks good and smell great, follow the process and watch the tweaks along the way.:mny

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4 (2).jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Kate's chilean cabernet /merlo

FOLLOW THE FLOW..:HB
Reserve Du Chateau Kit (approx.. $55.00 off Amazon.com)
Kate’s Chilean Cabernet Merlot​
This is an fairly inexpensive kit we purchased off Amazon. We used Amazon Prime and the shipping was free and arrived in 2 days! (Yes!)
Contents of the kit: All the usual suspects
Our tweeks:
Oak cubes in the primary
Homemade blackberry F-pak
1 ball jar simple syrup (brought our SG up to 1.092 from 1.082)
We will be adding powdered oak tannins to the secondary
Please see the pictures below for the process.
Starting date: January 28, 2015

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7 boosted sg.jpg

8 ph reading.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Kate's chilean cabernet /merlo cont.

FOLLOW THE FLOW....................:spm

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14 tag with date.jpg

15.jpg

Hi Joe,
what toast level was the oak you used. any particular tannis you used and you seemed to stick to the yeast that was provided?
thank you,
Corinth

Kate's chilean cabernet /merlo

Corinth French oak med.toast,any would do.
this is there short program stuck with their yeast choice.

COLMAN:2/1 mix sugar to water ,2lbs. Makes 1 ball jar (dry mix)

2.jpg

thanks Joe

Thanks Joe for keeping this thread up. I have learned so much and made my wines better. I have a few questions if you will. First, I am currently doing a lower end Chateau Classico Amarone kit. I started the primary about 4 days ago. I have added oak and raisins to primary. I was wondering if you think I should Chaptalize it now and add in some simple syrup to raise alcohol level like the Winexpert kit. There was none included in the kit. If so, how much should I add and when. Initial gravity was 1.090. I have not taken any readings since then. Also, should I add tannin and oak in secondary when i get there. Thanks for all your help.
One more thing. I have ordered that Chilean Merlot kit and will be doing it soon. Do you think adding blackberry jam to it would work. I have some from when I tried a blackberry jam wine. Also, when did you add the blackberry, in the primary and did you put it in bag. Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions. I am just so excited about trying new things.

John

Ramfan13

GOOD to hear from you.YES,add the simple syrup now ,1 ball jars full will raise the abv.1 point, TANNINS in the secondary 1 table spoon will do nicely stir very vigorously.

NO, jam in the base but fresh berries I use about a pint of blackberries you can use frozen if their available, fresh is better ,cook down with a little sweet red wine and let cool a little, place warm right into your fermenter.

TAKE YOUR TIME IT'S ON YOUR SIDE..PLAN YOUR WORK AND WORK YOUR PLAN.GOT IT!

2.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

Inexpensive kits

SO far I believe we've done 3 or 4 of these kits their affordable and come complete,labels,corks and seals along with the base wine at a 6 gallon capacity. HOW can you go wrong ,okay not the best in the world but a blank palate for you to experiment with, come On be creative and THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX.

THESE ARE KATE'S KITS,on average 2 dollars a bottle completed.

2 kit box.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_20140731_200121709.jpg

Last edited:
Joe

I agree. I love the kits to play around with, but I am worried that we may not be able to get any more. In looking at amazon lately, the kits are not available and not sure if they are being restocked. All of them are not available right now. I hope that they come back, but not sure. Interesting thing is that they are available on amazon canada, but cannot get them here in the U.S.

Diablo tasting

FOLLOWING ,up on the DIABLO wine had a taste this afternoon, the wine still needs to degas I'll start that process today but what was interesting is that the first item my nose tasted was the handful of blackberries I place in the mix the body is Medium so far we've yet to add our tannins but the taste is spot on, this is a kit any red wine drinker should make.:mny

started 1/18............today is 2/3

2.jpg

IMG_20150120_115801490.jpg

IMG_20150127_152207678.jpg

I agree. I love the kits to play around with, but I am worried that we may not be able to get any more. In looking at amazon lately, the kits are not available and not sure if they are being restocked. All of them are not available right now. I hope that they come back, but not sure. Interesting thing is that they are available on amazon canada, but cannot get them here in the U.S.

I went searching on Amazon for these yesterday and couldn't find them...glad to know its that they aren't available, not that my Amazon-fu is lacking, lol.

AMARONE King OF THE ITALIAN REDS

Wineexpert Amarone

*UPDATED*

Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit is a Wineexpert Selection Series Amarone. This kit has the following included. (This list is a little different from the usual kit that you receive. This is a top of the line kit.)

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· Grape skin pack (You can actually see that there are grape skins in it!)
· 2 packs of Lavin RC-212
· 2 Chaptalisation Packs (bags of sugar)
· Package #2 (bentonite)
· Package #3 (Metabisulphite)
· Package #4 (Sorbate)
· Package #5 (Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· Mesh Straining Bag
· 3 Packages of European Hungarian Oak
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an italian floor corker.)
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.10.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, here comes all that Hungarian oak! We are adding 3 packets of Hungarian powdered oak (wow!).
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! 2 packets of RC-212 yeast. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).

We would like to thank Winexpert for giving us the opportunity to present one of their finest wine kits they have available. We would definitely recommend this kit to the novice and experienced winemakers alike as it truly is exceptional.

We are looking forward to our next tutorial now that this one is complete. Please give us feedback and recommendations of what type of wine you would like to learn how to make.

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

dextrose pics (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back