when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Never again

NEVER AGAIN:dg

my friend KITO was beside himself,backesweeten a Shiraz which he loved before hand just to satisfy his wife love of sweet wine,NEVER AGAIN:tz he stated no matter what :w I will not do that again,once the sugar is in deep theres no getting it out,so I said to him make two kits one for you and one for her:f you know that old adage( never say never),lessons learned:try

RACKING AWAY:db

MS.T WAS OVER LAST NIGHT RACKED HER CHARDONNAY ,AND HER PEACH ICE WINE,SO FAR THE CHARDONNAY IS OK (FROM JUICE) AND THE ICE WINE (FROM KIT)NOT SWEET ENOUGH,SHE IS TRYING TO DUPLICATE A COPPOLA CHARD,BLENDED FROM TO DIFFERENT BATCHES OF CHARD ..NOT GOING TO BE EASY ,AND SHES HARD TO PLEASE AT THE SAME TIME......THE PEACH I CAN BACK SWEETEN BUT NOT TO MUCH ORR I'LL LOSE THE TASTE ,THE CARD ,WILL HAVE TO TAKE ITS TIME AFTER RACKING THEN I WILL ADD SOME LIQUID OAK LET IT SET ..SEE WHAT TRANSPIRES.....ALL GOOD THINGS COME IN TIME.:b

Plum wine

i'M GOING TO TAKE THIS STEP BY STEP MY WAY ON MAKING A REGULAR PLUM WINE AND A SPICED PLUM WINE.

wash and quarter plums discarding the stone,place in frig. for the night ....was to tired to carry on ...to be continued:tz

i'M GOING TO TAKE THIS STEP BY STEP MY WAY ON MAKING A REGULAR PLUM WINE AND A SPICED PLUM WINE.

wash and quarter plums discarding the stone,place in frig. for the night ....was to tired to carry on ...to be continued:tz

you should try doing one with wild yeast like I do now that would be out there for you I'd think. I've played some with my plum but only blending with other wines so far I'll find my niche so to speak.

plum wine revisited

And a way we go:tz

I started today making my plum wine ,remember,35lbs,of costa rican plums,destoned and quartered,then I placed them in a quesanuart (processor) and pureed them down, after they were nice and smooth I placed them in 3 different pots to cook to distribute the cooking time added sugar about a cup and a half to bring out the plum flavor then reduced it , after it cooled a little I added pectin enzyme 1teaspoon per gal. ,now I should have came out with a 6 gallon batch but what I wanted was a denser plum taste I can always dilute after (not a chance)...tomorrow we will add the yeast till ,the final color was unbelievable in intensity,vivid reddish color,full of taste .......yeast tomorrow.. :b

plum wine continued

A YEASTING WE WILL GO:i

Today I added the yeast- RED STAR Montrachet,its characteristics are good for fruit wines and this fruit wine will be rich in body and taste.........when you plan to make a wine or create a fruit wine its a good investment in time to think what the main characteristics of your wine is as compared to the type of yeast your using to start the fermentation process,its not the best or the most beneficial yeast you get with the kits ,especially if your making fresh juice take the time to investigate which yeast will produce the best results for the wine your making ,I know I'm repeating myself but its worth the time and effort and I know you do...right...to be continued:try
PS.sirs....I don't want fate to take a part in this dance...but I DO understand fully...

My caps over runith

HOUSTON WE HAVE FERMENTATION:r

All three wines are in lift off mode the plum is excepticial the aroma hit me in the face when i walked down the stairs this morning,just awesome,the other two are hot straight and normal,,,Houston we have lift off:tz

Settling in

THE RACK ATTACK:fsh

WELL ALL THREE ARE IN SECONDARY GLASS TO ALLOW THEM TO SETTLE OUT ,ALL THE CHEMS AND FINDING AGENTS HAVE BEEN ADDED, THE LOUNGE AND CAB/ORANGE WILL BE READY FOR FPACS,WITH IN A WEEK OR SO THE PLUM HAS TO SET AND FILTER DOWN ,GOT MY LABELS IN FROM GINO PINTOS,HAVEN'T TALKED ABOUT THEM BUT THEY ARE GREAT(BEEN USING THEM FOR THE LAST 8 MONTHS) IT MAKES A FINISHED WINE ,JUST COMPLETE AS LONG AS THE WINE IS WORTH THE EXPENSE,YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN,GREAT LABELS AROUND 22.50 FOR 30 PRIME LABELS AND THEY HAVE A VINYL FINISH AND PEAL OFF ,MAKES ALL MY EFFORTS WORTH WHILE,i THOUGHT TO MYSELF "WELL JOE IF THE VOLUMING IS LESS THEN THE FINISH PRODUCT WILL BE BETTER"AT LEAST THAT WAS THE PLAN,WILL SEE.:gn

Fruit wine uprising

MAKE A CHANGE:i
WINNER AND STILL CHAMPION

WHITE ZIN /POMAGRANET WINNER AND WAS CREATED BY THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX ...i STATED WAY BACK THAT IF YOU CAN THINK IT OUT YOU JUST MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO IT,,,,CONTESCE OF THE WINE WHITE ZIN FROM CAL. 1.5 YEARS FINISHED BODY OK ,TASTE NOT BAD,COLOR EXCELLENT ABV. 11.5 ALL IN ALL A SO ,SO WINE,.

ALONG COMES THE KIT OF THE SAME NAME

MADE IT AND MY WIFE AND HER FRIENDS SWALLOWED IT DOWN..THEN COMES POMAGRANET FRUIT VERY HARD TO WORK WITH ,THAT WASN'T THE ROUTE,NEXT TRIED TO USE SOME JUICE DRINKS AND i REALLY DON'T EVENKNOE WHY I TRIED..WRONGE WAY ALTOGETHER..THE CAME POM JUICE JUST THE RIGHT EVERY THING BUT WHAT FLAVOR TO DOMINATE ??:re

THAT WAS A EASY CHOICE ,THE HARD PART THERE WAS HOW TO BLEND THE FRUIT AND FINISHED WINE SO THAT NONE OF THE FACTORS LOST ANY GROUND..AND STAND ON THERE OWN .

AND THERE LIES THE TAIL OF TWO WINES:i

Wine blending

WINE BLENDING MY STYLE:try

;) ten years ago when i started this craft i was all eager to make my first wine of italian decent why shouldn't' i make a good wine after all i helped my grandfather enough times...oh well:d

:slp fast forward 10 years later and i think i got some of it right,but why do we blend and what do we hope to achieve in the end from it,did i know in the beginning what the charistics of the wine i had started out to make was,and the difference at the end?

:dg rule number one,in the beginning know the charistics of the wine your making and the yeast that best applies,know the make up of your wine is critical in blending ,it stands to reason if you wine is say a merlo then you would want to add to its structure with maybe a cabin:d

or if you have a viognier then maybe a reisling would be a nice complement to each other,there are so many great combos where to start or which ones do you start with,thats what this thread is all about.

my greates pleasure is blending fruit wines to grapes wines and thats were i would like to start.....:gn

RULES OF THE ROAD

WHY DO WE BLEND
WHAT ARE THE RULES
WHO ARE THE PLAYERS
WHAT AM 'I TRYING TO ACHIEVE

NOW WE CAN START

Last edited:
A blending we will go

REMEMBER THE RULES THIS APPLIES TO THIS FIRST ONE VERY WELL....i had made a great tasting raspberry wine and started to wine some local competitions with it ,i also had in my possession a find and upstanding Shiraz waiting to met his final reward,,I started to think how would the two of them pair up the name sounds right RASSBERY SHIRAZ..CAN'T BE BAD ,(KNOWING YOUR PLAYER),WHICH ONE WOULD BE THE DOMINENT FACTOR AND THE OTHER THE COMPLEXITY BRINGER,the rass would lead and the shiraz would follow but in a balanced manner creating a new overall taste profile.....:slp

:hug REMEMBERING THE RULES ,why do we blend to create a new flavor profile or to correct a correctable problem. :D

my wife and i started ,together we laid out wine glasses and begun to pour,after two hours of hovering around this glasses and getting half bombed,we finally can up with the proportions ..35% raspberry and 65% Shiraz,this allow the raspberry to be the first to greet your nose and tongue and the follow up of the fruity and smooth shiraz ,we had a winner and to this day i still have some left .....not much:f

but what if you had a wine say a red zin and it had good color and some flavor,,,,,good abv. but not much else...this the becomes a fixable problem very solvable by blending

Last edited:
A nice touch

MY FIRST STAB A WHITE ZIN WASN'T BAD NOT GREAT EITHER,BUT NOW I WAS IN THE BLENDING MODE FOR BETTER OR WORSE,HAD A GOOD YEAR MAKING DIFFERENT FRUIT WINES AND WAS MOVING FORWARD ,BUT WHAT TO DO WITH THE ZIN i WAS GOING TO MAKE A STRAWBERRY WHITE ZIN BUT THAT DIDN'T SOUND TO GOOD AND THEN IT HIT ME,i LIKE MUSCATO AND HAD 6 GALLONS ON THE SHELF AND IT WAS TASTY AND HAD NOSE ,IMAGINE THAT IT ACCUALLY SMELLED:)

BECAUSE IT HAD ALL I NEED BY IT SELF MY WIFE ASKED ME TO BOTTLE SOME OF IT FOR HER AND i DID,one bottle, NEED TO HAVE ALL I COULD TO FINISH THIS PROJECT THEN THE BALANCES COULD BE BOTTLED OUT (if any),75% MUSCATO AND 25% ZIN,BEAUTIFUL COLOR AND GREAT AROMA,WITH DECENT BODY....A REAL WINNER WE DID NOT GIVE ANYWAY.i FOUND OUT MUCH LATER THAT THEY ARE GOOD PARTENERS....:pic

SOME TIMES YOU CAN HIT IT LUCKY BUT IT AWAYS PAYS TO
KONW YOUR PARTENERS:gn

Well guess I can jump in on this one I've seemed to have found a blend that everyone seems to think is really good including me it's about 75% wild plum and 25% a blend of mixed wine grapes (3 different wine grapes picked and fermented together) it has a look of a really good bourbon and have been told it is really smooth on flavor and mouth feel. I like to make it at times where there's more grape and if you don't know what it is you get stumped or at least those that I've had taste it have.

Wild plums

The plum should carry the partnership do to the complexity they can bring and the tart sweetness associated with them,that was a good choice of partners,SIRS,it can make all the difference between a good mix and another bad decision.....:db

Geetting to know you

:pic

GETTING TO KNOW YOU GETTING TO KNOW ALL ABOUT YOU..REMEMBER THAT SONG....WELL HERE SOME PARTENERS TO REMEMBER.:)

MAJOR.......MINOR

CAB.SAUVIGNON.......MERLO OR ZIN JUST A TOUCH

ZINFENDEL..........BARBARA,PETI SHIRAH..JUST A TOUCH

SANIOVESE...CAB..MERLO..BARBERA..JUST A TOUCH

CHARDONAY....SEMILLOM.....RESILING.JUST A TOUCH

RIESLING............MUSCATO...JUST A TOUCH/

i'M SURE THERES MOR BUT HAY ,SEE YOU ON MONDAY..

:gn

the fine poiints

blending in harmony:gb

things to watch for when blending grape wines at the finish ,filter before blending,watch the acidity level,blend wine s from the same year blending wines with the same characteristics,using fruits like peaches with riesling and viognier,take the time to have a plan and idea on what you want to achieve...

when blending fruit wines no what each partner brings into the game as far as strengths and weakness are- and use them.

to me blending berries is the cats meow,raspberries ,black berries ,straw berries ,elderberries and blueberries to mention a few are spot on when it comes to blending either with grape wines or with another fruit wine.Take a look at the mix fruit wine industry its a kaleidoscope of flavors 10 years ago would of never been have thought of,but these beauties opened up a whole different world for the adventurous winemaker,and a whole new market.

in my cellar I have ,raspberry sharaz,blackberry pinot noir,white strawberry merlo,zin/pomegranate,seville orange cab,rassberry cab,blueberry ,raspberry ,blackberry wines by them selves,peach and i know there's a few others I can't think of that are down there,the blending possibilities are endless,all's it takes the development of good wine making skills and the 3/ps of wine making.......next we will go back over fpacs....and fruit wine making...

Last edited:
you can't forget the older ones also like pear,apple

the minds a terrible thing to waste

I agree and plum of witch i have two types of,pear cellos,cranberry melbec,and I probably still have miss some that I currently have but what can i say?:d

Latest posts

Back