when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Amarone the king of italian reds

CAN you take a ph. reading? if so what you should be looking for is a ph. of 4.0/4.5 not greater when the time comes and a abv. around 14% do you have a hydrometer? I know this sounds fundamental but I have to ask.:u

Yes I have hydrometer. I also have a brand new vinmetrica 300 but I need to learn how to use it.

Amarone the king of italian reds

THEN THE GAMES A FOOT.................MY LADY WHEN EVER YOUR READY.........................:b

I will be ready tomorrow late morning into afternoon, so this Amarone will have my full attention to detail. Simple syrup is prepared.
I will come back with the PH and OG then. Do I need a TA?

Last edited:
Thanks Craig! That toy is a little intimidating, but I am determined to figure it out, otherwise it would be a expensive paper weight.

I wish kit manufacturers would show what's in the kit as well.

If you get time (from all the transferring of wine from all of those Chilean juice buckets you bought) grab a glass or two of wine and start reading those S300 directions! I'm hoping to get one next year, but this years tax return has been spent. At least I got two spring juice buckets and a few lugs of grapes. Now to save for the fall harvest (I dearly love all my children but I wish they would all go out and get a job and help pay for my growing obsession)!

Here are my readings. Edit: These are pre primary numbers. I wanted to see just what I have number wise from the bag.
PH 3.34
BRIX 30.8
TEMP 68°
OG 1.130

20150520_090045.jpg

20150520_085718.jpg

20150520_084746.jpg

20150520_084519.jpg

Last edited:
@Angelina
You have nice toys...;)

OG 1.030 ?
That doesn't look right, did you mean 1.130 ?

Last edited:
I have not added water yet. These are the numbers straight from the bag. Sorry from the confusion.

That makes more sense, I saw you talking about Simple Syrup earlier and thought you had mixed it up and added more syrup till you got to 1.13!

CAN you take a ph. reading? if so what you should be looking for is a ph. of 4.0/4.5 not greater when the time comes and a abv. around 14% do you have a hydrometer? I know this sounds fundamental but I have to ask.:u

Joe, can you explain the reasoning behind a pH of 4.0/4.5? That seems incredibly high to me. And since this is a kit, why mess with the pH?

Added primary bag to bentonite and adding cool water to the 6 gallon mark.

20150520_154622.jpg

Back