What's the difference?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doublestorm

Junior
Reaction score
This is going to be an extremely newbie question...so bear with me:

I've only made a few kit wines so far and I'm looking to start another soon. I was flipping through the local wine shops web site to find my next wine to make and was wondering...what's the biggest difference between the kit wines and buying the grape juice? I know one is a concentrate, and one is the actual grape juice...but as far as quality of product goes, is there much of a difference? I also noticed that the wine from juice ones can age longer...there must be a reason for this?

Is one easier/more forgiving to make? Amount of time to make...any other differences?

Thanks to whoever didn't roll their eyes reading this and will reply! LOL

Kits are guaranteed while juices arent because all the balancing is done with the kits. With juices you need to sometimes adjust TA and PH which can mean doing malolactic fermentation. That is a second fermentation where you add a bacteria in to your wine to eat up the malic acid and turn it into lactic acid which is much smoother. Im not to fond of the juices much myself, Ive done a few with not so good results, didnt think the juice was that good to start with and the end result wasnt great either. I tried 2 brands, one was a little better then the other. Ive made wine from kits juices and grapes and the kits and grapes IMO make better wine.

Wade, true.
But, I would also say wine juice is for more experienced winemakers.
Kits have more of a selection that you cant get in wine juice.

I agree Tom, I dont mean you cant make a good or damn good wine out of it, Im just stating that just like kits there are some bad juices out there and the fact that they are guaranteed means you probably better ask someone which brands are good and know what you are doing or you will be making swill. I knew what I was doing but bought an inferior brand and dumped the crap.

You really can't beat a kit (unless your pressing grapes). You can select wines of your taste from all over the world. Anything from a simple mist to a big bad red.

That's what makes these forums so great...nothing like experience from people over what some (not all) sales people at the stores tell you. I was kinda led to believe that all the juices make much better wines.

Being as green as I am to wine making I wasn't about to tackle trying the juice quite yet and am content with the kits...it was only a question I had for future reference.

Thanks for the info guys...appreciated!

Wish I would have asked more questions to start with. I started with white zinfandel from grapes. Had no idea how to do any of it. Thank God it was a pleasure to drink when finished. Started with that as the grapes were a tip from a customer.

Back