Whats Next?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackspanish777

Reaction score
Good morning everyone! I just bottled a six gallon batch of DB and am trying to figure out what I want to do next. Everything I have done so far is a sweet grape or fruit wine and I want to try something different. I am looking for a good kit wine that has both oak and grape skins. I would like to make a Cab/Merlot blend eventually so I would prefer it be one of those varieties. Any suggestions????

One of the first that comes to my mind (maybe because I just started it two weeks ago) is the Wineexpert Eclipse Lodi Cabernet Sauvignon. Grape skins, oak and quite a bit of it. So far it smells great. I did swap out the included EC-1118 yeast for RC-212 and added Fermex three days after start of fermentation.

For oak, there is oak chips in the primary (you probably want to put these in something to contain them for ease of first racking, like old panty hose or a fermenting bag) and then three bags of oak cubes that go in after clearing, or maybe at the same time, I forget timing exactly.

There is also a CellarCraft Cab/Merlot blend which probably fits your bill. Cost is about the same for both.

I've read very good things about that Cellar Craft Walla Walla Cab/Merlot, though I haven't done it. If you're interested in a straight Cab, the CC Red Mountain Cab is on special this month at FineVineWines. I had a bottle of mine a couple weeks ago - just shy of 18 months old, it's already great.

I have a CC Walla Walla cab merlot in bulk now. Shows great promise at only about 8 or 10 weeks. Also a Red Mtn Cab fan. I have read reviews here that rank it above RMC and that's why I decided to try it. Don't think you will be disappointed in anything from showcase line.

My vote goes to RJ Spagnols Winery Series Super Tuscan. RJS WS goes for $125.00 US @ my LHBS.

Latest posts

Back