What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Juan Gil.jpg

An old friend... I used to buy this from my regular wine shop in San Francisco, and now that I live out in the country I found it in my 'local' Costco. Big and jammy but supported with supple tannins, thumbs up from me 👍

From the Jumilla region in Spain, a blend of 45% Monastrell (Mourvedre), 45% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Syrah. @winemaker81, perhaps one to add to your list of red blends?

I think that goes for ~$6.99. Always seems to be a 5 STAR QPR wine and hard to beat at the price point.

View attachment 103724

Plums and blackberries framed by lively acidity and grippy tannins. Great value (not sure exactly but I'm pretty sure it was under $10).
I might try a Malbec myself this year if I can source grapes...

How’s that Zinfandel Jim?

You started early today 😂😂

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning! And besides, there's fruit in there - part of a healthy breakfast.

I really like the Zin. Funny thing though, it's actually a 2019 - I just screwed up the label. :D

Last edited:
A 3 way blend in the glass

1/3 Marechal Foch/Regent/Washington Syrah (slight burnt rubber smell (potassium carbonate deacidified for tartaric acid)

1/3 Black Cherry (pitted cherries no acid added)

1/3 Balckberry, Marechal Foch, Regent, Wild Balck Cherries, bit of honey

The purpose of the cherries is to drop the acid of the post malolactic (high tartaric acid) Foch and Regent

I'll make something like this in the current year to salvage 45 bottles (in carboy) of high alcohol low acid Sheridan Syrah (slight burnt rubber nose) to boost its acid, and drop the tartaric acid on the Foch/Regent with only cold stabilization (no potassium carbonate) to drop some tartrates and use either wild cherries and or commercial black cherries to improve the smell, drop the alcohol, increase the complexity to try to make a first of a kind Fusion Red 2023.

What is this combo like right now:

Colour: inky
Smell: cherry overpowers the slight burnt rubber smell
Tannin: good
Acid: okay
Flavour: complex decent. Not fantastic but certainly drink able. I think leaving out potassium carbonate (i.e. leaving in grape tartaric acid could improve it a lot)

I have never made this before. Everything in this blend is organic and grown or handpicked by me except the commercial black cherries. The wild cherries and blackberries are frozen. I'll use RC212 yeast on everything.

Latest posts

Back