What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out to dinner w/ some family that's in town from a temporary overseas assignment and went out for a nice steak dinner (hard to come by in certain parts of Africa, so you jump on them when you get the chance, I guess). I started w/ a nice, dry Provence Rose, then onto a 2015 Daou Cabernet from Paso Robles. Nice fruit with good body, but a little light on the tannin. Good wine overall though, I was happy with the choice. Stumbled on the link below when researching it after we got home. I'll have to look for it at Costco.

http://costcowineblog.com/2015-daou-paso-robles-cabernet-sauvignon/

Here's what WA had to say about it in August 2016, barrel tasting I believe:

2015 Daou Vineyards • Cabernet Sauvignon

Rating
(90 - 92)

Reviewed by
Jeb Dunnuck

Issue Date
30th Aug 2016

Source
226, The Wine Advocate

The straight 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon should be another outstanding vintage of this cuvee and it has full-bodied richness, beautiful concentration and lots of dark chocolate, plum and smoked herb aromas and flavors. It has more obvious structure than the 2014 did at this stage as well.

This was a massive tasting with brothers Daniel and Georges Daou, who have a large estate located high up off of Adelaida Road. While they release a terrific Syrah blend, their focus is on Bordeaux varieties, and along with l'Aventure and Booker, they make the finest Bordeaux blends from Paso Robles. To give some perspective on how good these wines are, I did a blind tasting of top 2012s and 2013s from Napa with three wines from Daou, their Patrimony, Soul of a Lion and Estate Cabernet. I’m thrilled to report that all three Daou wines showed beautifully. My scores/ranking from the blind tasting were 2012 Hundred Acres (100 points), 2013 Scarecrow (99 points), 2013 Daou Patrimony (98 points), 2012 Schrader CCS (98 points), 2013 Daou Soul Of A Lion (96 points), 2012 Dominus (95+ points), 2012 Schrader RBS (95+ points), 2012 Chappellet Pritchard Hill (95+ points), 2013 Daou Estate Cabernet (93 points). In short, these are beautiful wines that readers shouldn’t miss.

Left over of Pinot Grigio from Costco and some leftover of the Blueberry Lemonade, the wife really likes this one a lot; I should've bought 2 kits.

Drinking one of my last bottles (have 3 left) of Bohemian Pilsner, brewed on February 4th of this year. Clearer than the image indicates (need to clean up the glass a bit), nice body and bitterness, but not overly bitter (35.6 IBUs, OG 1.050). Smooth as silk. Need to make up a "cold box" for fermenting lagers this winter. On the bottom of the list since summer just started, but if I don't get 'r done now it ain't gonna happen.

6-30-17_bohemian-pilsner.JPG

Last edited:
2016 Martin Ray Rose' of Pinot Noir. Costco impulse buy. Cherry with hints of white pepper, wild strawberry and blood orange. The finish is very dry and refreshing. Went well with some left over Brisket that I have almost killed but still enjoying it a slice or two at a time!

Martin%2BRay%2BRose.jpg

Round robin of Rose yesterday. We started with some bubbles, then enjoyed the Charles and Charles, some Sofia from Coppola, and Cotes de Roses. Was nice having Sofia - I hadn't had that in a long time, but many years ago, it was the Rose that started it all for me. Both that and the C&C were dry, but fruity. The C&C felt a little flat to me - could be because I had that right after the bubbly though. All in all, I enjoyed every one of them, but the Cotes de Roses was my favorite - a Costco buy as I was told.

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5485.jpg

2015 California Viognier from Harford Vineyard juice. Pretty good!

You guys are posting such lovely photos of pink wine, that I'm going to have to hunt through my cellar for any remaining Grenache Rose or White Zin. I made them both dry.

2015 California Viognier from Harford Vineyard juice. Pretty good!

You guys are posting such lovely photos of pink wine, that I'm going to have to hunt through my cellar for any remaining Grenache Rose or White Zin. I made them both dry.

If it is the white zin from last fall it surely isn't "pink". Love that wine and one of my wife's favorites. Did back sweeten to SG 1.003. Has enough up front fruit that I imagine it makes a nice dry wine. If I get a more "normal" white zin bucket in the future, it will be a let down.

If it is the white zin from last fall it surely isn't "pink". Love that wine and one of my wife's favorites. Did back sweeten to SG 1.003. Has enough up front fruit that I imagine it makes a nice dry wine. If I get a more "normal" white zin bucket in the future, it will be a let down.

Craig, you are correct that the white zin is not super pink. Funny thing is that it's a kit, not a juice pail, so there must have been something going on with the harvest.

Broke out another bottle of the Godello I recently got from WTSO. Liking this one very much this time. Crisp and dry with hints of lemon. Rather enjoyable.

Dumpster Diving tonight. :) Getting rid of the remnants from the last few days. Starting with some Prosecco from last night, then onto some Godello left from Sunday night; finishing with some 2014 Echelon Pinot Noir also from last night.

The other night I had a 2015 Orin Swift Abstract. (red blend consisting of Grenache, Syrah, and Petite Sirah)

Very nice for it's price point. Good body, silky smooth, nice balance. Not overly bold, but just a very good easy drinking red blend. It won't knock your socks off, but you will take notice.

Out to dinner tonight and started w/ an Albarino (Spanish origin, though I don't recall the other details), then with my crab cakes had a Suduri Pinot Noir from Willamette Valley, which was very nice.

Latest posts

Back