What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea this was waaay back in 2010 and if you shop at TJ's even just a little you know if you find a wine you really like you buy a case of it because the next year it might have the same label but its now complete plonk as they purchase bulk wine on the spot market which is never the same from year to year from supplier to producer and everything in between.

I think it must have been a slightly different one. Mine did not have the bottle embossed with shenanigans, just the label:

Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot. With this and the Winery Series Super Tuscan, I don't think you need any other kit wines. :D

Oh, jeez, what ISN'T in my glass tonight? It has been dribs and drabs!

1. Started out with a nice, fat Menage a Trois Gold Chard as a preprandial, on this first nice spring day, as DW and I sat out back waiting for the grill to fire up.
  2. When that ran out, we opened a Chateau Ste. Michelle Pinot Gris.
  3. With dinner (beef), I switched to the end of the GSM from Languedoc I wrote about yesterday.
  4. After dinner, reading the news out of DC, I felt compelled to have some popcorn. A beer sounded right with that, so I opened a brew from a local craft brewer that I hadn't had before. This forcefully reminded me of one of the few downsides of the microbrew revolution: Everyone thinks they have to outdo each other. This was a "Grapefruit Double IPA" or something like that. I found it basically undrinkable. I had about 4 swigs, then poured the rest down the sink.
  5. Finally settled in on finishing off my CC Showcase Lodi Zinfandel I opened the other day.
  6. Probably have a nip of brandy heading off to bed.

And, no, I know that all sounds bad, but it has been VERY small amounts of all of these fine beverages.

Yes, "why oh why didn't I add the whole F-pack upfront and ferment to dry" ....... :)

nah, this wine has the right acidity as it is and to me not having some residual sugar after fermentation it would then taste too acidic perhaps.

I added 1/2 f-pack up-front and the rest to back sweeten, and it tastes pretty good..:h

Last edited:
From last night. 2014 Sodo Cellars Dead Bird Cabernet Sauvignon WWV. Snagged a few bottles of this last year and thought I would crack one open. Very well made wine, no faults at all, nice nose, right amount of oak, finish is good. 5 Star QPR wine and reminds me of the H3 Cab Sauv from 2009 time frame when it was much higher quality than current vintages. Excellent weekday quaff.

IMG_2202.jpg

So tasting notes please!

Definitely a dry rose, for you dry wine drinkers.. :h

It has some Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault and a bit of Cab Sauv and a couple others.
Light and tasty, really good for summer, very intriguing and nice grapefruit and watermelon in both aroma and taste.
Aroma is very similar to a Sauv Blanc (similar to the Cup Cake from Costco), acidity is right on the money and it has a long finish.

I think It's a winner and really good value for $8.99 :db

EDIT: this long finish is nice, definitely minerals all over your palate.

Last edited:
BTW - This wine would go pretty good with salmon.
And its color is a bit pale compared to the WE LE Sauv Blanc Rose we made last year.

I edited my post above...there's also some watermelon in its taste, is basically a "power" fruit in the nose and this long finish is nice, definitely minerals all over your palate.

Rose' is just so food friendly. It will go with anything off the grill from fish to fowl to burgers and brats. Its cold when its hot outside to boot. :db

BTW - This wine would go pretty good with salmon.
And its color is a bit pale compared to the WE LE Sauv Blanc Rose we made last year.

Started the evening with a Dogfishhead Namaste and a slice of orange. Then moved to the heavy hitter - 2015 Lanza blend of Cab Sauv, Syrah and Petite Sirah. Did 3 different blends of this wine and tonight's was Dad's favorite. He's got about half a case of these but I keep telling him he's not allowed to drink them yet. So I figured I'd give him a sample tonight. Opened it about an hour prior to pouring and his first response was "Wow, this is really good!". My sister had a similar reaction, saying, "what great body - powerful wine. I'd like to have some of this in the collection.". It still isn't ready for prime time, but it is quite good. I'm just holding off, knowing what it will become with more 'dust on the bottle'.

Back