What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An ok wine but has a sour finish that I am not liking it much.
View attachment 33832

FWIW, Parker didn't rate the 2014 vintage, but he did rate the 2013 at 86 on first tasting, 88 next time he tasted it, recommended drinking 2016-2020. Following suit, seems the drinking time for the '14 would be '17-'21, so if you have any more of it, it may settle down in another year or two......

FWIW, Parker didn't rate the 2014 vintage, but he did rate the 2013 at 86 on first tasting, 88 next time he tasted it, recommended drinking 2016-2020. Following suit, seems the drinking time for the '14 would be '17-'21, so if you have any more of it, it may settle down in another year or two......

This is the only bottle, given to me on a wine basket (with another white wine) for my bday last month.

Thanks for the info though.

We had a Don Amado Italian Barolo tonight. Awesome! This is a bottle that Varis (Geek) left with us over the Holidays. We had it with homemade Spinach Manicotti also awesome. Varis your wine truly is excellent, can't wait to try the others. Roy & Dawn

image.jpeg

Finally got around to opening a 2013 cabernet franc from Damiani Wine Cellars. They are on the east side of Seneca Lake (Finger Lakes Region) in New York. One of my top 5 places in the region. A nice dark fruit and black pepper taste. While 2013 being an "eh" vintage, this is still a solid effort.

20170204_144426.jpg

Back from a few days of tubing and snowboarding. Definitely enjoyed our share of adult beverages. Enjoyed two Terrapin IPA's with lunch every day - hey, I needed the carbs to snowboard through the afternoon. We had dinner in the house each night. I brought along some WS Super Tuscan to go along with the Barefoot Contessa lasagna I made. Both were tremendously well received. Also brought some Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc, Columbia Crest Cab, and the bottle of 'A Hot Mess', I mentioned in another thread a week or two ago. That was the remnants of the 2015 bottlings all shoved into a single bottle. Cab, Syrah, Petite Syrah and some Zin from 2014 to top it up. Was really good and enjoyed by all. Other beverages enjoyed over the last few days were Dogfishead 'Namaste' - an excellent Belgian white ale, Blue Moon, a Russian Imperial Stout whose name I don't recall, and we topped it all off watching the end of a fantastic Super Bowl with a little Dogfishead World Wide Stout.

Last edited:
A 17 month old dry Dornfelder from local gapes (batch 18b). Haven't tried this one for quite some time, it's really changed for the good. Plan on a glass after I get home from my meeting tonight (which may turn into another, then another...). All the herbaceous aromas and flavors have really died back, I almost didn't think this was the same wine for a minute. Still very tannic, should age well. Reminds me a little of a young Malbec.

Edit: Oh darn, no meeting tonight. Now what will I do with all of this spare time?

Edit2: Nice harvest of wine diamonds. Luckily I only bottled 3 of the 8 gallons I had of this. The rest is still in a 5 gallon carboy, hopefully dropping it's diamonds before I bottle it here pretty soon. Good reason to let it sit through two winters in the basement (I read that somewhere, maybe Mike ( @ibglowin )).

2-7-17_Dornfelder.jpg

2-7-17_wine-diamonds.jpg

Last edited:
Just opened my WinExpert Selection International Amarone, which I did as a Joeswine tweakfest! (Lots of alcohol, lots of tannins.) It is now 26 mos. old. It is very pleasant. It has good fruit, and a certain zing to it. Tastes kinda like a Negroamaro. I will be interested to see what it tastes like after breathing a bit. (DW is off C2H5OH temporarily, so it will certainly last until the morrow!)

Latest posts

Back