What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, they are a little more $$, but you can taste the difference! If you have some fresh basil growing in a window sill or grow tent, that kicks it up a notch as well, especially if you use the sauce as a pizza sauce...
The recipe only calls for 1 can so you are not paying that much more.

It's going to be a tossup between who eats more asparagus (me), or Artichokes (you), in their day to day meals.

I have made an effort to find and make whole artichokes. I watched Julie and Julia and wanted to make Julia Child's recipe. Do you grow them or are they just readily available?

For me it is a specialty item on 'Fancy' pizza, canned, and occasionally available whole and raw. Nothing I would be able to enjoy daily, although your variations intrigue me.

No, I don't grow artichokes. We like them (obviously), and they are readily available at my local grocery store. I don't know Julia Childs's recipe; I realize they are usually boiled or steamed, but I usually cut them in half and roast them with lemon and EVOO. Or I speed this up by cutting in half, steaming them, and then roasting them.

I also eat a lot of asparagus, at least in the spring and summer. I only buy asparagus from North America, so it is a treat for us come springtime!

where are you BTW?

I am in the country! I live an hour and a half north west of Edmonton. It's about 20 minutes in either direction to the closest towns. The population of one is about 1200, and the other is about 9000. That's why I am so impressed I managed to find yucas, plantains, and chayote.

I watched a video of putting together a traditional recipe, but I could only pick out portions of the words. It's easy enough to translate add water as you are watching someone covering the meat in water. She made bollito de platano, which I thought interesting, plantain dumplings, but I couldn't tell exactly what she was using. Now I can look up a recipe for that too. I MIGHT, possibly add that in if everything is going smoothly.

It's gonna be a feast.

Turnip greens with lots of Vitamin G and EVOO; roasted cauliflower with butter, cumin and sesame; roasted asparagus for @vinny with Parmigiano-Reggiano and balsamic vinegar; baked Pacific cod with lemon, thyme, and shallots; a simple side salad.

IMG_3363.JPG
IMG_3364.JPG

Last edited:
And the verdict?

I had a lot of fun with this. I was so excited to eat it I barely got pictures. It was delicious. Presentation is lacking, but there is also only so much you can do with a mountain of food you are ready to jump on and devour.

I have no idea how it is supposed to taste, but it changed a lot over the cooking time. Once it had plantains and squash in the broth the flavours totally changed. It really opened it up.

There are so many variations I was scooping small amounts into a bowl and adding things to see how it tasted. I didn't add any smoked meat and liquid smoke really brought it all together.

I served it with an adobo based hot sauce which added some heat and a little more smoke and it kicked it up that much further.

Totally worth it. Next time I think I would tone it back then it wouldn't be such a production to make it, and I only ate the one bowl pictured there was so much food stuffed in there.

Thanks for the inspiration, Geek.

I had a lot of fun with this. I was so excited to eat it I barely got pictures. It was delicious. Presentation is lacking, but there is also only so much you can do with a mountain of food you are ready to jump on and devour.

I have no idea how it is supposed to taste, but it changed a lot over the cooking time. Once it had plantains and squash in the broth the flavours totally changed. It really opened it up.

There are so many variations I was scooping small amounts into a bowl and adding things to see how it tasted. I didn't add any smoked meat and liquid smoke really brought it all together.

I served it with an adobo based hot sauce which added some heat and a little more smoke and it kicked it up that much further.

Totally worth it. Next time I think I would tone it back then it wouldn't be such a production to make it, and I only ate the one bowl pictured there was so much food stuffed in there.

Thanks for the inspiration, Geek.

Sancocho is my fav stew for sure, once you "dial in" on how to make it and master it, you're golden.
I applaud you for taking the "challenge". :try

Well, it's not dinner yet! But I opened up the butcher shop tonight and got 14 1-inch thick boneless ribeyes out of this and 4 beef rib segments. Mmmm... Not bad for $6.99 a pound, I think. Might grab another one tomorrow. Steaks go fast when ya grill three every Sunday!

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2655.JPG

The store butcher's eyes just lit up when I started talking primals. They love that stuff. :D Time for some wine...

Haricots verts with butter, chopped almonds, and Cambazola; roasted fennel; roasted Brussels sprouts with herbes de Provence and Parm; "lamb Bourgignon," meaning I cooked some lamb shoulder chops nearly as one would make bouef Bourgignon; and lettuce/spinach salad with shredded manchego and pepitas.

IMG_3371.JPG

Back