What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made Orange Chicken tonight. Vacuum marinated the chicken in the orange sauce, then put the chicken in the sous-vide for a couple hours at 134 degrees.

Paired it with jasmine rice, steamed vegetables, and a smoked porter.

Recipe, please?

Recipe, please?

Nothing in the mix was 'from scratch'.

The tenderloins (frozen), vegetables (stir fry mix), and rice (jasmine) were Kirkland brand (Costco) and the sauce was Aldi's Fusia Orange Ginger Wok Sauce.

I marinated the tenderloins in the sauce for about four hours, then laid the tenderloins out on a sheet and froze them. Once frozen - about three hours - I put them in a vacuum pack and dropped them in the sous-vide.

After cooking, I opened the vacuum bag, pulled the tenderloins out, patted them dry, and then seared them in a cast iron pan with olive oil. For the sauce, I emptied the vacuum bag and the left over marinade into a pan and brought it to a boil for a couple minutes while stirring constantly.

Total prep time: about a half hour. Fifteen minutes earlier in the day with the marinade and setting up the sous-vide, and then about fifteen minutes (with my wife's help) right before supper.

For those of us that don't have a sous vide set up. Why (re)freeze a piece of thawed out meat before cooking?

I marinated the tenderloins in the sauce for about four hours, then laid the tenderloins out on a sheet and froze them. Once frozen - about three hours - I put them in a vacuum pack and dropped them in the sous-vide.

For those of us that don't have a sous vide set up. Why (re)freeze a piece of thawed out meat before cooking?

So the vacuum process does not pull the all the marinade out of the vacuum bag. If you use the right size bag, the vacuum pulls the bag around each piece of meat and the marinade surrounding it. This allows each piece to cook in the marinade. If you do not freeze, the vacuum pump just pulls all the liquid out and makes it almost impossible to get the bag to seal.

The meat does not have to freeze solid, just to the point the marinade is firm.

Tonight I made a salmon steak (a cross section through the body). I marinated it in soy/lime/sesame oil first. I made a side of sauteed and braised lacinto kale and onions (braised in chicken stock and sherry), and another side of polenta with some leftover stinky Tallegio cheese. Broiled the salmon, and served with a lemon/butter/caper/parsley/oregano/vinegar/garlic sauce. Delish, if you ask me!

Tonight I made a salmon steak (a cross section through the body). I marinated it in soy/lime/sesame oil first. I made a side of sauteed and braised lacinto kale and onions (braised in chicken stock and sherry), and another side of polenta with some leftover stinky Tallegio cheese. Broiled the salmon, and served with a lemon/butter/caper/parsley/oregano/vinegar/garlic sauce. Delish, if you ask me!

I love Tallegio. :HB

I want to come live at your place, would be willing to eat the leftovers and promise I wouldn't leave a mess behind on the floor, ever.

That sounds too good to be missing a picture....:ft

You may be on to something Varis. I was able to hack in to his phone and just found this actual pic of last nights feast! :)

top-view-of-a-frozen-tv-dinner-of-salmon-spinach-carrots-and-pasta-DEEHC6.jpg

That sounds too good to be missing a picture....:ft

Mein Gott! Why would there be a stock photo of THAT?

Because, as crazy as it seems, someone is willing to buy it. My buddy who sits in the cell behind me makes a living off of finding just the right picture for a customer when they say "we want colorful food" for their frozen food brochure. I'm sure a designer like @Kraffty runs into that situation all of the time.

Not dinner yet....but almost.
Costco pizza and some Gewurtztraminer, hmmm [emoji485][emoji485]ImageUploadedByWine Making1457125206.295905.jpg

Ok Geek, this may top you, lol ! Miss you Buddy. Mexican Lasagne with home made Sangria. Two bottles of my home made Sangria, 2 yrs old, one bottle of a Sangiovese, one yr old, 5 ounces of Brandy, & fruit. All blended in one big pitcher. Son & girlfriend arriving soon from east coast, can't wait! Roy

Last edited:
Back