What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carraba's Steak (filet) Marsala with a side of garlic smashed potatoes and a caesar salad. Dang this stuff is da bomb!

ProsciuttoSirloinMarsala.jpg

My wife found price reduced two pack of filet mignon at Aldis the other day. She knew I have been wanting to try this cut in the sous-vide, so she bought it. Here is the results of an hour and a half in the sous-vide at 131 degrees followed by a quick sear in a smoking cast iron pan. It cut like firm butter and tasted like a little bit of heaven.

IMG_20160226_183414204.jpg

IMG_20160226_183409065.jpg

We paired it with steamed veggies, baked potato, and a 2007 Tobin James Petite Sirah.

What! How can that be! Especially with the 20% off your entire order coupon they have out! We had one in ABQ until the mortgage economy meltdown in 2008. They closed it down as it was the only store in NM. So every chance I get when I am in SA I try and hit them up. All the steaks are grilled over oak in a wood fired grill. :HB

I suggested Carraba's to the Mrs tonight. Got shot down. :(

Three members of my family have February birthdays. As a celebration, Each February, we meet and go out to dinner. This year it was out to the Hibachi Grill (much like Benny Hannah's where they cook the food in front of you while doing entertaining tricks).

IMG_20160228_170345_905.jpg

One more thing..

I never have time to shop and cook a decent meal during the work week. I usually cook big on the weekends, then live off a leftovers..

Unfortunately for me, may vacation ate up 2 weekends, and last weekend was spent going out with the family.

In short, I have not been able to cook for THREE WEEKS!!!

I feel like I am going into withdrawal! I have been mostly subsisting on crappy frozen foods from the supermarket. Here is what is in store for me this week..

-Frozen tortellini with frozen meatballs and jarred sauce. (I should get 2 meals out of this).

-Digorno's frozen pizza

- Really cheap frozen salisbury steak (I will actually need to "Cook" some fake instant mashed potatoes

- Peanut butter and (homemade) strawberry jelly sandwich with progresso chicarina soup.

PRAY FOR ME!!!

This Saturday, I plan to cook something (anything) special.. I am thinking a nice filet with sautéed mushrooms

Paul,

I give that a "Like" with a 10X multiplier!!!!

Question: Did you break the lobsters apart before you cooked them??

Thanks, John.

Actually, we had ONLY claws! My friend likes lobsters, but loves claws. She asked us, if she brought claws to our house, would we cook them for her for us all to eat? "Ummm, YES!" :HB You can buy claws (separate from the tails) at our local fish-house. We gorged ourselves. I then made lobster stock with all of the shells.

Thanks, John.

Actually, we had ONLY claws! My friend likes lobsters, but loves claws. She asked us, if she brought claws to our house, would we cook them for her for us all to eat? "Ummm, YES!" :HB You can buy claws (separate from the tails) at our local fish-house. We gorged ourselves. I then made lobster stock with all of the shells.

I was wondering about that - that claw meat is to die for!

Actually, we had ONLY claws! My friend likes lobsters, but loves claws. She asked us, if she brought claws to our house, would we cook them for her for us all to eat? "Ummm, YES!" :HB You can buy claws (separate from the tails) at our local fish-house. We gorged ourselves.

What I did not mention was that this was our second-best dinner of the weekend! ;)

On Saturday, I invited some new neighbors and some old neighbors over for dinner. I made a prime rib roast, using a reverse sear (a la Kenji Alt-Lopez). Also made a killer au jus with tons of meaty soup bones and a cabernet reduction. We also had a salad with Savoy cabbage, baked potatoes, ginger/citrus glazed carrots, and a broccoli/cheese/cream puree. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication, and one of the families did not show up. Those of us who remained waited, and waited, and finally contacted the others, who revealed they thought the dinner was NOT scheduled for that night. Sigh....

Partly as a result of the confusion, consternation, and running around, I have no pictures. But trust me, it was gooooood. Needless to say, we have leftovers out the ying-yang, but that is a good problem to have! :) To make this post hew to the topic of this thread, we had delicious leftover prime rib for dinner tonight.

Made Orange Chicken tonight. Vacuum marinated the chicken in the orange sauce, then put the chicken in the sous-vide for a couple hours at 134 degrees.

Paired it with jasmine rice, steamed vegetables, and a smoked porter.

IMG_20160229_182045721.jpg

IMG_20160229_182056101.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back