What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna try out my new Sous Vide rig tonight. Filets for the wife and kids and a NY strip for me.

Grilled Filet Mignon with Creamy Gorgonzola
Time: 2 to 4 Hours Temperature: 131°F / 55°C Serves: 4

For the Steak 4 portions of filet mignon, about 1 to 1 ½ pounds
4 thyme sprigs 2 rosemary sprigs Salt and pepper

For the Blue Cheese

¼ cup gorgonzola cheese
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the water bath to 131°F / 55°C.

Salt and pepper the steaks then add to the sous vide pouches. Add the thyme and rosemary then seal and place in the water bath. Cook the steaks for 2 to 4 hours.

Finishing:
To make the gorgonzola cheese sauce place all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Take the steaks out of the pouches and pat dry. Sear them on a very hot grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Place the steaks on a plate and spoon the blue cheese sauce over the top and serve.

Annual holiday guys night out. This year Waldwick NJ Andreas restaurant.
Pounded veal chops. Grilled lamb chops. Home made wine(BYOB)

That looks awesome!! (But you can keep the dessert -- not a fan of the after-dinner sweets! I know, I know, I am the weird one here.) The meal, on the other hand, keeps looking better and better!

I have boneless prime rib smoking away in the smoker nice and slow. After letting it rest, I will put it on the grill at 600° and do a reverse sear on each side.

I'm a big fan of the reverse sear. I love doing tri tip that way.

Just under 3 hours at 130F. Then seared on the Weber. I realized after deciding on the gorgonzola recipe that I didn't have any fresh thyme or rosemary. So I went with a simpler, herb based rub. Yep, I'm gonna like this little rig.

DSC_0034_zpsiqes2jvb.jpg

Looks good but seems like a waste of T&E to fire up the Webber for a couple of minutes of sear. :?

Did I miss the pic of the Make and Model of your Sous Vide Cooker?

Just under 3 hours at 130F. Then seared on the Weber. I realized after deciding on the gorgonzola recipe that I didn't have any fresh thyme or rosemary. So I went with a simpler, herb based rub. Yep, I'm gonna like this little rig.

DSC_0034_zpsiqes2jvb.jpg

Looks good but seems like a waste of T&E to fire up the Webber for a couple of minutes of sear. :?

Did I miss the pic of the Make and Model of your Sous Vide Cooker?

It might be a bit much, yes. But while I enjoy a steak seared in a CI pan, I get much, much more enjoyment from one seared over charcoal - you just can't duplicate that flavor. I have a little Weber gasser as well, but that's not the same either. I guess I'm just a wannabe artist who appreciates his craft.

The SV cooker is the original Anova. They had a great $99 deal a week or two ago. The newer one has wifi and the model right before it was bluetooth. I think you can still pick up the BT one for $129. IMHO you don't need wifi or BT on something like this. Coo? Yes. But completely unnecessary.

Couldn't agree more on the charcoal/wood flavor but then why not just cook it over charcoal and be done? What does the Sous Vide bring to the table other than precise temp control? Does it make your steak (more) tender cooking it low and slow? More flavorful since its in a sealed pouch?

Sell me one! LOL

It might be a bit much, yes. But while I enjoy a steak seared in a CI pan, I get much, much more enjoyment from one seared over charcoal - you just can't duplicate that flavor. I have a little Weber gasser as well, but that's not the same either. I guess I'm just a wannabe artist who appreciates his craft.

The SV cooker is the original Anova. They had a great $99 deal a week or two ago. The newer one has wifi and the model right before it was bluetooth. I think you can still pick up the BT one for $129. IMHO you don't need wifi or BT on something like this. Coo? Yes. But completely unnecessary.

Couldn't agree more on the charcoal/wood flavor but then why not just cook it over charcoal and be done? What does the Sous Vide bring to the table other than precise temp control? Does it make your steak (more) tender cooking it low and slow? More flavorful since its in a sealed pouch?

Sell me one! LOL

For a tender cut, which does not need low and slow, there are still a few advantages. Did you notice that his steak was med-rare RIGHT OUT TO THE EDGES? You cannot get that uniformity with conventional cooking. Another advantage is control, as you allude to; it is dead easy to deliver the desired degree of doneness (alliteration not intended, honest to God!). I think you have a point about the flavoring. You can obviously put some aromatics in the pouch; I think, just like in brining, the liquid initially is released from muscle tissue, but then there is time for diffusion to bring some of the flavorings back into the tissue (instead of sitting on the outside).

Not to mention that you DO get some enzymatic tenderizing happening even during a few hours cooking at moderate to low temps. I sometimes cook a rack of lamb to rare for 8 or so hours, and it becomes almost too tender. (I did say "almost"! :db)

I might just give this a go!

Sous Vide Cooker for Less Than $40

For a tender cut, which does not need low and slow, there are still a few advantages. Did you notice that his steak was med-rare RIGHT OUT TO THE EDGES? You cannot get that uniformity with conventional cooking. Another advantage is control, as you allude to; it is dead easy to deliver the desired degree of doneness (alliteration not intended, honest to God!). I think you have a point about the flavoring. You can obviously put some aromatics in the pouch; I think, just like in brining, the liquid initially is released from muscle tissue, but then there is time for diffusion to bring some of the flavorings back into the tissue (instead of sitting on the outside).

Not to mention that you DO get some enzymatic tenderizing happening even during a few hours cooking at moderate to low temps. I sometimes cook a rack of lamb to rare for 8 or so hours, and it becomes almost too tender. (I did say "almost"! :db)

That is essentially what I did. I don't think that PIDs were available for $25 back when I did mine, but I had a nice Eurotherm controller sitting around, so I used that. (Yes, it was my personal property -- long story involving a stupid colleague!)

Here it is:

SousVideController small.jpg

I have 2 very nice @JohnT Porterhouse steaks for tonight that fell out the back of the truck. Got em for $7.49/lb in the close to expired meat case.

Trying to decide between:

A) Weber with charcoal and pecan
B) Gas grill
C) Stove top using new Lodge castiron pan

Lodge-Cast-Iron-Grill-Pan-Costco-4-640x480.jpg

Back