What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week am posting from Belize and the food is EPIC.

I have mostly been too busy eating it to take pictures, but the first night with a kitchen I made burgers. Last night was pork chops.
PXL_20240206_011336128.jpg

I had the best club house sandwich of my life. It was a thin grilled chicken breast rather than the typical processed slices. The picture below is hands down the best thing I have ever been served. Beef filet and lobster tail cooked at the table on a 750 degree hot stone. Super simple and absolutely delicious. Apparently the best burger in the world is just down the road and waiting to be discovered. Loving the place so far. Locals are really friendly and the area is beautiful.. The food is just the icing.

PXL_20240204_021855709.jpg

The place I am staying at has a Weber. Looks like I am getting a new bbq when I get home. :rolleyes:

It's a treat to cook on!

This week am posting from Belize and the food is EPIC.

I have mostly been too busy eating it to take pictures, but the first night with a kitchen I made burgers. Last night was pork chops.
View attachment 110064

I had the best club house sandwich of my life. It was a thin grilled chicken breast rather than the typical processed slices. The picture below is hands down the best thing I have ever been served. Beef filet and lobster tail cooked at the table on a 750 degree hot stone. Super simple and absolutely delicious. Apparently the best burger in the world is just down the road and waiting to be discovered. Loving the place so far. Locals are really friendly and the area is beautiful.. The food is just the icing.

View attachment 110065

The place I am staying at has a Weber. Looks like I am getting a new bbq when I get home. :rolleyes:

It's a treat to cook on!
Where in Belize? An old buddy lives on Cay Caulker 9 months out of the year.

Still eating. Still epic.

Shrimp Tacos.

PXL_20240206_201114600.jpg
They have a thing here called butt bacon. Neither ham nor Canadian back bacon. It's like normal bacon, just off the shoulder. I'm gonna miss it.
PXL_20240207_160953949.jpg
This is not for the feint of heart. Blue cheese bacon pizza. I love me some gorgonzola, but there wasn't much else to taste. I will still be trying the gorgonzola burger, but I need a few days to recover.

PXL_20240208_194717152.jpg
And lunch today was catch of the day fish and chips. I was told it was snapper. The salt of the sea almost makes them tingly on the tongue. Very good, served with some sort of nutmeg/clove garlic aioli.. Not sure what was going on in there, but it paired nicely. PXL_20240208_194720649.jpg

Still eating. Still epic.

Shrimp Tacos.

View attachment 110121
They have a thing here called butt bacon. Neither ham nor Canadian back bacon. It's like normal bacon, just off the shoulder. I'm gonna miss it.
View attachment 110122
This is not for the feint of heart. Blue cheese bacon pizza. I love me some gorgonzola, but there wasn't much else to taste. I will still be trying the gorgonzola burger, but I need a few days to recover.

View attachment 110123
And lunch today was catch of the day fish and chips. I was told it was snapper. The salt of the sea almost makes them tingly on the tongue. Very good, served with some sort of nutmeg/clove garlic aioli.. Not sure what was going on in there, but it paired nicely. View attachment 110124
And to drink?

I started the day off very responsibly... But that soon ended.

Breakfast was bacon, eggs, and toast, with local fresh fruit.
PXL_20240209_154609585.jpg

Lunch was a hard choice. Something new, or back to the menu that had me stuck for choice yesterday. The lobster mac and cheese was just screaming at me, and so were the burgers along with a number of other choices on the menu. It was one of those menu's that you know you will be have to be back. So.. back we went, and this time restraint was not on my mind.

I ordered a Doyle's delight. Vodka, triple sec, and pineapple juice. Very refreshing.

The mac and cheese showed up with just enough time to snap a picture before my burger was dropped in front of me. I knew I had made a mistake right away. I thought, I can take the mac and cheese home, but I have to taste it. There wasn't a morsel left, it was unbelievably good. So much so that I was declaring a new goal to make the ultimate mac and cheese to serve for dinner guests in between bites. I had to skip most of my fries, but I got the burger down in spite of its size. The pictures don't do it justice. It is 4 inches tall.

I felt like I had run a marathon. People should have been cheering and crowding around to witness my victory, but I was the only one that proud of me. 😄

I did discover my new favorite thing though. If no one else, I feel @BigDaveK will appreciate the discovery. Margarita El Fuego. Tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, cilantro, and..... Jalapeno! The margarita of fire! It was just enough heat to make you say wow, that is delicious. Any more and I think it would have ruined it, but it was good enough to order a second.

They are not shy with the spirits either. I was glad I was driving a golf cart. I have spent many a day on the golf course practicing for just this moment! 😂

PXL_20240209_195637629.jpg
PXL_20240209_195817663.jpgPXL_20240209_195914415.jpgPXL_20240209_194145701.jpgPXL_20240209_195639673.jpg

crabcakes.jpg

Crabcakes! This is our traditional New Year's feast, though since crab season was late this year we missed out... this was our make-up dinner. Crab fresh from our local village store (they have a boat that goes out regularly), and washed down with our 2022 Blanc de Noir, which continues to make me very happy...

View attachment 110215

Crabcakes! This is our traditional New Year's feast, though since crab season was late this year we missed out... this was our make-up dinner. Crab fresh from our local village store (they have a boat that goes out regularly), and washed down with our 2022 Blanc de Noir, which continues to make me very happy...
lobster tales.jpg

So.. I know I have some of your attention, but for anyone left wondering if they would enjoy Beilze I present you with the holy grail... On Super Bowl Sunday too.

I have never had a better brisket in my life. The beans? Better than I could have imagined they could be. A little jalapeno spice to raise the bar. Canada needs to get it's smoking game up to par. I have only tried eating it out twice and it was horrendous. All you could taste was smoke, and I felt terrible after eating it.

This was succulent brisket with just enough smoke, and the fat was salted to the brink to accent the beef perfectly with a nice spicy tangy rub and sauce.

Guess I gotta get that smoker when I get home too, now that I know what I am aiming for.

The food here is so good that I actually hit my limit with lunch yesterday. I skipped dinner and had a few pieces of fruit for breakfast to get me back on track.. Glad I did, I didn't know this place was open today and I needed my stamina back up.
PXL_20240211_185050328.jpg

It’s actually a dish that was made for prostitutes easy and cheap ,
In southern part of Italy 🇮🇹 I think
Olive oil , sweet onions , garlic, salt , pepper , graded Reggiano parmigiano , white wine , Greek olives, green pimento olives , crushed tomatoes 🍅 done
And don’t hate me a packet of sugar

Last edited:
Olive oil , sweet onions , garlic, salt , pepper , graded Reggiano parmigiano , white wine , Greek olives, green pimento olives , crushed tomatoes 🍅 done
And don’t hate me a packet of sugar

Yes, Joe. Both sides of my family are Napolitano and, actually from the same village near Caserta.

I have variously heard it was so named for the following reasons:

1. The dish is spicy, hot and easy to make (just like the ladies of the night).
2. It is made from items that a "lady" would have on hand to treat her client after business was concluded.
3. It takes little time to prepare making it an excellent choice for the "lady" to enjoy between dalliances.

I make it with anchovies, garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, capers and basil over spaghetti.
Ya forgot the capers .
I saw a tour show with an Italian chef and was told that’s what it meant , cool.
Ever heard of the term ( putano)?

Back