What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also wondering if the flavor of barbecued bread would be a turn off?! In the oven, I bake it with the lid on for 30 mins and the lid off for 15-20.... I am suddenly worried about smoky bread.

I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. Lot's of great bread made in wood fired ovens.

Has anyone baked bread on their grill?

Since the Great Unpleasantness started, I have been doing a lot more baking of bread. I bake in my oven at like 450F in an enameled cast-iron dutch oven. As the weather has (finally) started to warm up, I have been grilling a lot. I am tempted to start the grill earlier, throw the dutch oven on there (indirect) to preheat, and give it a go. I am worried about gauging the temperature (and sooting up my dutch oven! :) ).

Anyone ever try this, and/or have unfounded opinions to share! :D

I've never done the grill bread, as I also fear maintaining temps would be a challenge over charcoal or wood. I can lock the gas grill down to a temp for a good while, but am not sure there's much benefit over an oven. I also use a method similar to yours with the DO. One thing I'm starting to think though is that the DO might just be a great heat regulator and would help to maintain temps. Heck, I've seen people make DO bread over a campfire, so it must be doable on a Weber.

Bread turned out nicely. I was able to get the grill to hold near 450F, trailing off a little, for the ~50 minutes bake, Honestly, not much difference discernible from doing it in the oven. I was hoping for a little smokey flavor, but it was not to be. I think I will keep this in my back pocket for those hot summer days when I don't want to run the oven, but I don't think I will go out of my way to bake bread this way.

View attachment 62814

Looks great! My thinking is that being in the DO minimizes any charcoal or smoke flavors.

Baseball on Tuesday and Wednesday nights means low to no cooking. But, unemployment means I can cook in the afternoon. :). I made up a batch of meatballs this afternoon in between lawn mowing and our baseball game. Most will be frozen and used later. The rest will be consumed with some sauce I made over the weekend in the next few days. I have a pork butt purchased last week that I need to get cooked, so that'll be my Thursday.

Took it off not too long after that 186F pic. The bone pulled right out. I double wrapped in HD foil and a towel and put it in a cooler for about an hour while I made the sauce and cleaned up. This one came out great - super moist and flavorful. The sauce I made was one I haven't done in a few years at least - a combo of 'Thick-n-sweet' and NC vinegar based sauces. Overall, it's pretty thin, but the flavor profile works really well on the rich, smokey, pulled pork.

1593129899477.jpeg

1593129929493.jpeg

1593129989807.jpeg

It took about 12 hours?

~7.5lbs. It was almost rock steady at 240F from 8:10 this morning until about 5:45. I probably could have taken it off half an hour earlier with the same result, but I wasn't ready. I'm finding that pork shoulder in the 250 range comes out just as good as in the 200-225 range, but a lot faster. I don't have to do overnight anymore. I used to buy larger butts and start them around midnight, maintaining 200-ish for 12-16 hours. I don't think the result is any better/worse at the slightly higher temps.

We had orzo with sauteed red onions, parsley, and basil. Charred (grilled) broccoli with preserved lemons, butter, garlic, and parsley. Grilled snow peas and scallions. And grilled wild-caught Alaskan Pacific cod, marinated in lemon juice, and topped with tarragon-lemon butter.

Washed down with a Cline Viognier, which was more than adequate!

IMG_3057.JPGIMG_1567.JPG

Last edited:
~7.5lbs. It was almost rock steady at 240F from 8:10 this morning until about 5:45. I probably could have taken it off half an hour earlier with the same result, but I wasn't ready. I'm finding that pork shoulder in the 250 range comes out just as good as in the 200-225 range, but a lot faster. I don't have to do overnight anymore. I used to buy larger butts and start them around midnight, maintaining 200-ish for 12-16 hours. I don't think the result is any better/worse at the slightly higher temps.

Yeah, those overnight cooks are a bit nerve breaking for me with briskets. This is why sometimes I’d like a pellet grill.

I have a 16lbs brisket in the freezer that I need to plan on how to tackle when I cook it in a couple weeks or do

I usually do 275-325 for Pork Butt. Results are excellent as long as you reach 200 IT. If I need the grill space I have taken them off the grill after 4 hours smoke and then finish off in the Dutch Oven in the stove (with the lid on). Perfect pull.

My Son wanted a salmon fillet, I'm sort of fished out a bit, needed a break. So at my 10 am run to the local market, found some spicy snausages, they looked good (never go food shopping when hungry). Now what to pair it with? Bud Light didn't quite fit the bill, wouldn't be able to taste the beer at all, which is the most important food group, in my opinion, for any meal (unless drinking wine, same goes for that). Grilled it up and yum!

Now to not drink another beer and get the rest of the lawn done. Beautiful day in central PA. Some days I'm happy when I'm basically part time at work, I'm free to do things after about 10 am...

6-26-20_sausage-1.jpg

6-26-20_sausage-2.jpg

I gave blood today, so I wanted to grill a steak. However, the rain gods did not cooperate: I got rained out. Accordingly, everything was made on the stovetop.

We enjoyed fried potato wedges with Montreal steak seasoning; sautéed/braised lacinato kale from my CSA with and slices of garlic; stir-fried CSA snap peas with red onions, with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar; sautéed Portobello mushrooms and scallions; and a grass-fed NY strip steak (dry-brined, seared on cast-iron pan)IMG_4442.JPGIMG_0127.JPG.

Mrs. IB's choice. Lemony Garlic Shrimp with Pasta. Lots of Vitamin G as well as Lemon. Served over angel hair pasta. Very light for a warm Summer night. If only I had a cold white wine to go with it.......

View attachment 62909View attachment 62910

I make essentially that same dish frequently, but I gotta say that yours looks REALLY good.

Got half a pork belly in the sink, vac sealed and froze the other half. Think I’m gonna get it seasoned with sweet and hot spices, let it sit overnight, and smoke it slow/low on the Primo tomorrow.
Didn’t you do something similar recently @Boatboy24 ?

I just cured mine and made bacon.

Latest posts

Back