What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guilty of oversharing on pictures again. I had been having trouble with my ho-made bread (too often too rustico), so tried a different approach (same-day, lots of yeast). Worked out very well.

View attachment 62341

Paul, any chance on sharing the full recipe for your bread. It looks magnificent and takes me back to days in Italy. I can make a meal on bread, cheese and wine. Thanks.

What’s the method you follow for baby back ribs?
This may be my next cook for the week once back home.

These were center cut spares. ~275 for about three hours, or until you get that pullback of the meat from the bone. BBQ is just a 'feel' thing. It's done when it's done. ;) . Basic rub that I had leftover from the last time I did a pork butt. Then some homemade sauce about 10 minutes before I took them off.

What's that, coleslaw? I'm not a cabbage fan, but those look good, I might try it!

Just used this recipe. It was good. A little heavy on the mustard for me. But my wife, who also is not a fan of cabbage, liked it; saying it covered up the cabbage flavor. :D It needed a little salt and pepper, but I didn't modify otherwise.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/coleslaw/

Guilty of oversharing on pictures again. I had been having trouble with my ho-made bread (too often too rustico), so tried a different approach (same-day, lots of yeast). Worked out very well. I found some lamb shoulder/rib chops, and brined them then marinated in garlic, EVOO, and thyme. Also made sauteed kale with kohlrabi leaves and onions, braised in ho-made chix stock. Grilled corn-off-the-cob with garlic, EVOO, and asorted seasonings from Mrs. S_G. Mushroom caps grilled in a cast-iron pan with soy and EVOO. Mrs. S_G also made roasted radishes (smoked paprika and garlic -- basically the seasoning on BBQ potato chips!) And a lovely salad, again, courtesy of Mrs. S_G, with Romaine, radish greens, turnip greens, radishes, avocado, kohlrabi, etc., and a never-to-be-replicated dressing of random liquids that tasted mighty fine. (Everything from soy milk to white balsamic vinegar -- who knew?).

All washed down with a Sonoma red blend called "Judge and Jury."

View attachment 62341View attachment 62342View attachment 62343

View attachment 62345

How was the wine?

Guilty of oversharing on pictures again. I had been having trouble with my ho-made bread (too often too rustico), so tried a different approach (same-day, lots of yeast). Worked out very well.

View attachment 62341

Paul, any chance on sharing the full recipe for your bread. It looks magnificent and takes me back to days in Italy. I can make a meal on bread, cheese and wine. Thanks.

Sure. The yeast treatment I describe below is not my usual one, as described later. Also, I prefer to measure my ingredients by weight, but my scale broke; Amazon has been telling me the replacement will ship "any day now" for about 4 weeks. So I am using volumes below. All mixing is done by hand, i.e., I do not use an electric mixer.

Timing: I started this about 10 in the morning.
I used 1.5 cups bread flour, and 1.5 cups whole wheat. Added 1.5 tsp salt. I proofed 2 tsp of quick-rise yeast in 1/4 cup of ~110F water with 0.5 tsp sugar for 10 minutes or so, until nicely foaming. Mixed that in to the flour, then added another ~1.25 cups warm water. (I do the water addition by feel and appearance. It is easy to add too much, but I got it right this time.)

After mixing, I cover the dough with a plastic bag, to prevent the surface from drying out. After a half hour or so, I "fold" the dough: pull the dough from the side up over the top of the ball, then turn the bowl 1/4 turn and repeat, all the way around. This leaves you with a nice ball. I do that every so often, like maybe once an hour.

Yesterday, I did that last at about 1 pm, then went out for a walk for 2.5 hours (not all walking!) . When I got back, the dough was WAY overinflated, and I feared it would be "wholly holey." I removed the plastic bag, and the dough deflated before my eyes. I punched down, and folded again.

Shortly thereafter, I shaped the dough. Here, you throw the doughball onto a floured surface, and fold one more time, so most of the outside is now floured lightly. Then turn it upside down on a non-floured surface. You grasp the ball, with your pinky fingers against the surface, and pull the dough ball toward you, stretching and tautening the surface. Give a quarter turn and repeat 6 or 8 times. The surface that is now "up" will be the bottom of the loaf. Then put more flour in a bowl (as a release agent), put your doughball upside down in the bowl, and let it rest for another hour (if you have the time -- I think I cut it to 1/2 hour yesterday).

Preheat your oven to 450F, and put your enameled cast-iron dutch oven there to preheat. When hot, place your dough on a piece of parchment paper, plop it in the dutch oven, cover, and bake for 1/2 hour. Then remove the lid and bake for another 15 minutes.

This basic procedure is from Flour Water Salt Yeast, which @Boatboy24 turned me on to. (He is a much more experienced baker than I am, so listen to him, not me.) However, where this batch differed was that I had been making the bread the night before, and using far less yeast, just a pinch of regular (not quick-rise) yeast (as directed). But the size of my holes were hit-or-miss, often with huge cavities. So I decided to make same-day bread, and then used a more traditional amount of yeast (according to the instructions on the yeast jar).

Last edited:
By the way, the texture (I think that bakers call this "the crumb") of this loaf was not entirely to my liking. It was a little too soft, a bit more like storebought white bread than I prefer. My past efforts came out a little chewier. I always thought that the softness of white bread came from the typical shortening used in white bread, which was absent here.

Can Jim @Boatboy24 tell me why? Does better crumb develop with the overnight process? Or was it the heavy yeast? I have more experimenting to do!

By the way, the texture (I think that bakers call this "the crumb") of this loaf was not entirely to my liking. It was a little too soft, a bit more like storebought white bread than I prefer. My past efforts came out a little chewier. I always thought that the softness of white bread came from the typical shortening used in white bread, which was absent here.

Can Jim @Boatboy24 tell me why? Does better crumb develop with the overnight process? Or was it the heavy yeast? I have more experimenting to do!

I'm clueless there, Paul. I've not gotten too deep into that book, to be honest. I started out making the "Saturday White Bread", which I liked and only modified by using ~10% whole wheat flour. That worked well for me for quite a while. It wasn't until COVID that I started trying out the multi-day methods. Thanks for the reminder - I haven't made any in a while. It seems the more the weather warms up, the less interested I am in bread. Maybe I'll start a batch today.

I'm clueless there, Paul. I've not gotten too deep into that book, to be honest. I started out making the "Saturday White Bread", which I liked and only modified by using ~10% whole wheat flour. That worked well for me for quite a while. It wasn't until COVID that I started trying out the multi-day methods. Thanks for the reminder - I haven't made any in a while. It seems the more the weather warms up, the less interested I am in bread. Maybe I'll start a batch today.

It "helped" that it was in the mid-50s here yesterday! :)

Inspired by all of the WMTers pizza-on-the-grill efforts, I thought about trying to bake it in a dutch oven on the grill. But I chickened out, not wanting to risk losing the loaf!

With plenty of leftover toppings from the other night, it's pizza here again. Made up a new batch of dough - it is supposedly ready in 1 hour, but gets more flavor from the extended ferment in the fridge. We'll see. Also cooking in the oven tonight and trying a slight mod on the dough recipe. "Nearlypolitan" as a member of The Virtual Weber Bullet calls it. Same recipe I used the other night, but using a 50/50 blend of 00 Caputo and AP flour, which apparently accounts for the lower cook temp (don't ask, I don't understand, but am willing to try it out).

I think the 00 Caputo is a higher gluten flour. From what I've researched they need an extended ferment and do better than AP flour with a higher cook temp. If you mix 50/50 with the AP flour, it should lower the overall gluten content and cook better at a lower temp than the 100% Caputo dough. Just what I heard, can't say I understand it either.

Grass-fed ribeye on the grill (dry-brined, oiled, grilled, then seasoned with tarragon and marjoram); Swiss chard sauteed with onions then braised in ho-made chix stock with a little crushed red pepper for some heat; red potatoes on the grill with EVOO and Montreal steak seasoning; Romanesco broccoli, microwaved then finished on the grill, sauced with garlic/EVOO/butter/capers. A salad by Mrs. S_G again. Enjoyable!

IMG_0627.JPGIMG_0629.JPG

Grass-fed ribeye on the grill (dry-brined, oiled, grilled, then seasoned with tarragon and marjoram); Swiss chard sauteed with onions then braised in ho-made chix stock with a little crushed red pepper for some heat; red potatoes on the grill with EVOO and Montreal steak seasoning; Romanesco broccoli, microwaved then finished on the grill, sauced with garlic/EVOO/butter/capers. A salad by Mrs. S_G again. Enjoyable!

View attachment 62360View attachment 62361
That ribeye looks perfect!!! In fact the whole meal looks great!! 🏆

So, the "Nearlypoltan" dough was a success for the family. I felt it was lacking - probably the 3 difference between it and the one that was fermented for 3 days that we just had. This dough was mixed up, rose for an hour and then used. These I just did in the oven to have a little more control over the heat. I let the oven and the stone preheat for an hour while the dough rose. Next go, I may do 60/40 Caputo or 75/25 and give it a multi-day ferment. All in all, no complaints - it's pizza, right?

Pepperoni and sausage to start things off:

1592221384662.jpeg

Then the Margherita that somehow came out square. 🧐

1592221459932.jpeg

And finally, another pepperoni and sausage - the best of the 3:

1592221511066.jpeg

Attachments

• 1592221440495.jpeg
    1592221440495.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 1

View attachment 62360View attachment 62361

:HB :HB :HB

steamed and sautéed artichokes. (I finally found a sale on them, 2 for $3, which is less than half price around here.)

View attachment 62212

This is for the artichoke man @sour_grapes

View attachment 62326

Okay you guys, I found some beauties. I did have to pay $2.50 instead of my normal $2, but these are the size of a Chicago-style 16" softball! I am preparing them "Rocky-style": I simmered them in a few inches of water, and will later sautee them.

I was planning to grill them, but plans changed. I am having landscaping done, and they just showed up this morning without warning to start the work. Unfortunately, as a result, I had to I harvest my garlic. I say "unfortunately" because it was not ready yet, but I had to dig 28 plants up today. I was really looking forward to having those heads... Oh well. The bulbs are very small, and I am going to treat the plants like ramps or scallions. Tonight we will have roasted green garlic bulbs, and I put a lot of greens in with sauteed/braised bok choy.

carciofi.jpgIMG_0639.JPGIMG_0640.JPG

Latest posts

Back