What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I feel like I brought a water pistol to a pillow fight! Lotsa nice-looking pizzas up there.

We enjoyed the second pork chop from post #8288 above, roasted to reheat in the oven and once again served with a lovely salsa verde. We had fresh spinach from the CSA, so I sauteed that with lots of garlic and EVOO and seasoned with pepper and lemon juice. That was delicious, but mostly because of the taste of the spinach itself, not due to any of my ministrations. I made oven-roasted fennel slices in EVOO again, and a starch dish of orzo with lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, shallots, and parmigiano reggiano. But maybe the best part was that I found an error in my winecellartracker.xls spreadsheet. I had accidentally deleted part of the entry for my 6-year-old CC Showcase Walla-Walla Cab/Merlot. I thought it was all gone, but there were two bottles left! One of the best kits I have ever made. Yum!

IMG_0620.JPG

I hear you. I like salmon, but I suppose it and trout are near my limit. I don't exactly go out of my way to have mackerel -- in fact, I go out of my way NOT to have it!

I absolutely HATED fish growing up. That might be because to us, "fish" exclusively meant "Mrs. Paul's Fishsticks," and I kinda generalized from there. I wouldn't touch anything that came out of the water. However, when I was a teenager or young adult, I was nudged to try scallops. I call them "my gateway seafood." That (slowly) opened me up to a whole world of food that I used to find disgusting.

Yup! Scallops and white fish were my only seafood growing up, mostly now too. I'll sample a little lobster when everyone is eating it, trying to figure out why everyone loves it so much (has to be the butter!) Crab in stuffed mushrooms is OK, but what lunatic decided that they could eat a clam or oyster!

Sorry I have no pictures but this evening I did something I often do and that is to go to the fridge and see what leftovers there are and use them to create a dish (mostly not to waste food). Tonight, I found 1 piece of chicken breast which had been dredged in seasoned flour, pan fried quickly in olive oil and then finished in the oven with a de-glaze of white wine, and some hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes and onions that I had served with hot sausage sandwiches. These vegetables had been sautéed on top of the range and then baked with the hot sausages, which had first been oven roasted. It put the vegetables in a small blender and did a few quick pulses, poured them into a frying pan and added the chicken breast, sliced thinly on a bias. In the meantime, I whipped up some linguini and when it was al dente, added it to the vegetables and chicken to finish cooking. Not bad at all and I emptied two plastic containers. There were no survivors.

I do the same, sometimes making some amazing meals. I know a few people that WON"T eat leftovers, their loss!

Spending all that money you saved by flying to Mexico for surgery!

My daughter said the ribeye was “da bomb”

Finally ate like you guys...king style 😊😊
The chicharrones de pollo and guacamole plus some steak tacos with a side of bone marrow......ufffff

I do the same, sometimes making some amazing meals. I know a few people that WON"T eat leftovers, their loss!

And, I truly believe some dishes taste better leftover and reheated.

I am not sure what "vintage" you are, but I am 1942 and when I was growing up, "the poor people in Europe were starving" so we had to finish all of our food. It was not intuitively clear how my eating my meal helped them but in the naivete of childhood, I dutifully did so. I remember "Victory Gardens" and people plowing up their lawns to plant vegetables. There was a large vacant field at the end of our street and the Borough ran a water line so people could have additional area and a ready water supply to grow vegetables. I was only 3 1/2 when the War ended but I remember going to the gardens with my grandfather, who could grow anything anywhere, and working our plot. We would start home with two full baskets of vegetables but by the time we reached our house, they were almost empty. Poppy would give something to all of the neighbors along the way. These plots survived the War by about 5 years until the land was used to build more homes.

Yeah, I was raise in an 'underprivileged' household, and having to eat 'every scrap' on my plate, before I was excused from the table. We had to make every dollar work for us, no, we had to make every cent work, but it was 60's 70's so same 'ol.

Nice looking ribs Boat, I just ate and am a bit hungry again!
What's that, coleslaw? I'm not a cabbage fan, but those look good, I might try it!

3 pieces in the picture, 5 bones on the plate, must have been good!

Last edited:
Guilty of oversharing on pictures again. I had been having trouble with my ho-made bread (too often too rustico), so tried a different approach (same-day, lots of yeast). Worked out very well. I found some lamb shoulder/rib chops, and brined them then marinated in garlic, EVOO, and thyme. Also made sauteed kale with kohlrabi leaves and onions, braised in ho-made chix stock. Grilled corn-off-the-cob with garlic, EVOO, and asorted seasonings from Mrs. S_G. Mushroom caps grilled in a cast-iron pan with soy and EVOO. Mrs. S_G also made roasted radishes (smoked paprika and garlic -- basically the seasoning on BBQ potato chips!) And a lovely salad, again, courtesy of Mrs. S_G, with Romaine, radish greens, turnip greens, radishes, avocado, kohlrabi, etc., and a never-to-be-replicated dressing of random liquids that tasted mighty fine. (Everything from soy milk to white balsamic vinegar -- who knew?).

All washed down with a Sonoma red blend called "Judge and Jury."

61378099983__7D11E407-F068-40B6-B184-9EDEAC57D03E.JPG61378098585__B532C386-243A-4454-9503-1D35EFB02CBE.JPG61378326310__CCC1F7D0-CD01-4477-8C1A-45DFD208C358.JPG

61378491008__16067AE6-CEC0-4878-AC3C-EF13733C478B.JPG

Latest posts

Back