What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why cut off all that beautiful fat? I like to smoke mine with 1/4" of fat on the top for about 12 hours at 250. My rub is the same as Franklin, the King of Brisket, uses. 50% coarse salt 50% coarse black pepper.

Gosh I'm hungery.

Cheers- e

So, what's the verdict, @geek?

Did you see the pictures 😊
Peppery, nice smoke ring, flavorful throughout.
Next time I will try cooking for the same day instead of overnight, maybe start very early and go hotter close to 400F.
Fire management is key and I still need to master it, I did well but need to make some improvements

Did you see the pictures 😊
Peppery, nice smoke ring, flavorful throughout.
Next time I will try cooking for the same day instead of overnight, maybe start very early and go hotter close to 400F.
Fire management is key and I still need to master it, I did well but need to make some improvements

Excellent! Yes, saw the pics, but wanted to be sure it was as good as it looked.

Pretty easy dinner tonight. Hardest part was remembering to marinate the chops and cut the Swiss chard and kale from the basement planting. Marinate was a simple garlic, OJ, rosemary, salt and pepper concoction. Swiss chard and kale had added onion and a pat of butter with sesame oil. Whole pot cooked down to about nothing as usual. Son loves it and usually leaves no leftovers, but there were some so I can have that for lunch tomorrow if he doesn't raid the fridge tonight. Wifey cooked up some diced tater which were very good. Would have been better with some bacon but the midnight raider took care of that last night. I apologize for the somewhat fuzzy images, must have to clean the camera lens.

All in all a very good and simple meal.

5-3-20_dinner-1.jpg

5-3-20_dinner-2.jpg

5-3-20_dinner-3.jpg

5-3-20_dinner-4.jpg

Excellent! Yes, saw the pics, but wanted to be sure it was as good as it looked.

The flat came out just a tad drier than what I wanted and I know why, but all in all good eating, wife and kids really liked it, even my wife who hasn’t had meat for some time (pretending as half-vegan).

That salad looks great! So does the salmon, I'll have to look for some this week, my Son loves it!

Looks like a plate you could get at a fine dining establishment, if we were allowed to eat at one...

That chicken sounds delicious, Paul.

It is a really good combination of flavors. You may think that the vinegar would be too much, but it isn't because the acetic acid is what we winemakers call VA (volatile acidity), and it largely boils off (it's "volatile"!).

This may be behind a paywall. A friend sent me the pdf, which I copy below. As indicated above, I made liberal additions/substitutions. The fish sauce and lime ingredients are from a family friend from Manila.

Chicken Adobo Recipe

Chicken Adobo By Sam Sifton
YIELD 4 servings
2 hours, plus 2 hours' refrigeration
It is the national dish of the Philippines, and the subject of intense and delicious debate across its 7,100 islands whether made with chicken, pork or fish. Whichever, the protein is braised in vinegar until pungent and rich, sweet and sour and salty at once, then sometimes crisped at the edges in high heat, and always served with the remaining sauce. Its excellence derives from the balance of its flavors, in the alchemy of the process. Cooking softens the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the meat to enhance it. Whether consumed in Manila’s heat or on the edge of a New York winter, adobo holds the power to change moods and alter dining habits. It is a difficult dish to cook just once. The recipe that follows derives from one given to The Times in 2011 by Amy Besa, who runs, with her husband, Romy Dorotan, the excellent Purple Yam restaurant in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup coconut milk
1⁄4 cup soy sauce
11⁄2 cup rice vinegar
12 garlic cloves, peeled
3 whole bird’s-eye chilies or other fiery chili
3 bay leaves
11⁄2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 to 4 pounds chicken thighs
PREPARATION
Step 1
Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
Step 2
Place chicken and marinade in a large lidded pot or Dutch oven over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, around 30 minutes.
Step 3
Heat broiler. Transfer chicken pieces to a large bowl, raise heat under the pot to medium-high, and reduce the sauce until it achieves almost the consistency of cream, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and chilies.
Step 4
Place chicken pieces on a roasting pan and place under broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, until they begin to caramelize. Remove, turn chicken, baste with sauce and repeat, 3 to 5 minutes more. Return chicken to sauce and cook for a few minutes more, then place on a platter and drizzle heavily with sauce.
Adapted from Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan, Purple Yam restaurant, Brooklyn

I wish I had the coconut milk, about to grill up a tuna steak for my son and he loves spicy food.

I did not have coconut milk either. I made the marinade without it. After cooking (simmering) the chicken, I reduced the marinade into a sauce as directed. At this point, I added some heavy cream to make a richer, thicker sauce. (I have used milk for this purpose in the past, too, but then it needs more reduction to thicken.)

I did not have coconut milk either. I made the marinade without it. After cooking (simmering) the chicken, I reduced the marinade into a sauce as directed. At this point, I added some heavy cream to make a richer, thicker sauce. (I have used milk for this purpose in the past, too, but then it needs more reduction to thicken.)
Thanks for the hint (now that the tuna is done). I'll get some cream because my kids usually use 1% milk which will take a week to reduce (T1D kids need to watch their fat). I showed the recipe to my Son and he said "ooooooh", so I think it is worth a try. Thanks for the tip Paul!

Back