What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My VDub... we have three in the family. But, only mine is turbo. The other two - non turbo 2.0L.

I'm not saying that wouldn't look adorable though - two middle-aged dudes riding top down in a robin's egg blue convertible bug.

...with the passenger sipping on a glass of very dark red wine... (enhances the egg blue color)

And I'm almost 55, I'm getting out of the realm of middle aged. I'm becoming older, soon to be of "advanced age". But my mental age is 19, or maybe 13, just ask my wife and kids (or better yet my sister, case closed).

Last edited:
Need some suggestions, please.

Two of our four kids are not eating with us tonight (one working, one at Hershey Park). So it's me, my bride and the two boys. I'm making smoked salmon for the boys (not telling them until the last minute, they'll be ecstatic), and was thinking a chicken with basil based pesto meal. I'll charcoal grill the chicken breast before slicing and am about to make the pesto so it can "age" a bit in the fridge. Would you add other veges (I have a zucchini I just picked, lot's of maters and a few red/green peppers and some arugula I was going to add when making the pesto). I could grill the zucchini and smoke the peppers and add those? Just doesn't seem "fancy" enough since I'm sure we'll eat alone and enjoy a glass or three of wine, which we rarely get to do. Oh, my wife doesn't like "hot/spicy" very much, so I have to take that into consideration too.

Sounds like you have the making s for a nice summer salad!

So just do the chicken pesto straight up and a summer salad on the side....I'll have to do some bacon for bacon bits and whip up a batch of ho-made blue cheese dressing. Though a fresh Italian vinaigrette would probably pair better. Maybe I'll tip a carboy and we could serve it with some Pinot Grigio.

So, bought some basil in Hanover only to find plants for sale at the Weis in E. Berlin. So I picked the top half of the potted basil, potted it, then added the expensive stuff from the Giant in Hanover. Pesto turned out really well. Was strong enough I had problems detecting the charcoal flavor in the chicken. Used a red pepper and shallot plus the pesto. Was very flavorful (wifey had seconds which is always a good sign). Cut the piece of salmon in half and the boys devoured, along with some salad. No one left the table hungry or unhappy, and that is all I ever strive for. Tomorrow a beer can chicken on the smoker, sans the beer (needs to be Gluten Free).

8-19-17_basil.JPG

8-19-17_pesto.JPG

8-19-17_salmon.JPG

Costco find yesterday. 26oz for $8.79. No sugar at all so I will be blending some in to cut the salt down. Number one seller on Amazon but a few reviews say it was too salty for them. Others say its great as is.

bad-byrons-bad-byrons-butt-rub-xl.jpg

Tonight I am serving short ribs and pork ribs, both done sous vide for ~48 hours. But the interesting catch is that the heat source is geothermal water at 155F. I'm just letting the water flow into a cooler where I have the ribs stored; there is no temperature control, but the water is a steady 155. We'll see!

Hmmmmm........

86a230ebd9d169f4ffe8ec29e5df5b783ef1e48b0767b72ef3ec96a5f9eaee42.jpg

Tonight I am serving short ribs and pork ribs, both done sous vide for ~48 hours. But the interesting catch is that the heat source is geothermal water at 155F. I'm just letting the water flow into a cooler where I have the ribs stored; there is no temperature control, but the water is a steady 155. We'll see!

While I reject and contemn your lack of faith in me ( :) ), I do thank you for reminding me to take a picture of this getup! I would have forgotten! I just stuck my camera in my pocket, and off to the hot springs I will go for the next meat-check!

I just decided (when it was nearly too late) to have blackeyed peas with chipotle, so I got that quick-soaking now.

Smoke cooked a chicken on the Weber bullet this afternoon. Bought some cheaper charcoal and paid for it later in the process. Was using the Minion method and it didn't keep a high enough temperature. Finished the chicken off on the grill, only took 15 more minutes but just a step I hadn't planned on. Made up some chicken sandwiches with maters and ranch dressing, some fries my wife baked in the oven, then a salad with lot's of tomatoes marinated in Italian dressing. Very nice Sunday meal. Burpppp, I think I'm rather full (of it).

8-20-17_dinner.JPG

Here is the end result: pork ribs in foreground, beef short ribs behind (already slid off their bones and cut into chunks). Both were fall-off-the-bone tender. Not many good pix as I was fighting off the hungry hordes. Also showing what I washed this down with -- not bad for roughing it!

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

Back