What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put country-style pork ribs in the sous vide machine 45 hours ago. In addition to dry-rub spices, I used a little sodium nitrite curing salt. You can see that the pork is a little rosy (think "bacon") as a result. Meaty and fall-off-the-bone. Also, sauteed brussels sprouts with cheese, thyme, and lemon juice, and simmered/smashed/fried potatoes.

10May17dinner.jpg

10May17dinner2.jpg

I put country-style pork ribs in the sous vide machine 45 hours ago. In addition to dry-rub spices, I used a little sodium nitrite curing salt. You can see that the pork is a little rosy (think "bacon") as a result. Meaty and fall-off-the-bone. Also, sauteed brussels sprouts with cheese, thyme, and lemon juice, and simmered/smashed/fried potatoes.

45 hours or 4.5 hours??????

Forty-five hours. Nearly two days. I should have mentioned that the temp was 141F. This is loooow and sloooow cooking!

Question: Can't harmful bacteria thrive in a 145 degree environment? I was always told that 160 is the "death zone" as far as temperature. If that is true, then wouldn't the water-bath amount to a large incubator?

I like that idea (and yours looks great). Never have the patience to do CS ribs, but this might do the trick. Another one I've been eyeing is a 36 hour brisket, but I need a bigger container. ;)

Question: Can't harmful bacteria thrive in a 145 degree environment? I was always told that 160 is the "death zone" as far as temperature. If that is true, then wouldn't the water-bath amount to a large incubator?

160 is a 'magic' number used by the FDA which goes well beyond what's required in most cases. Generally, it is not just a matter of temp, but time. Also in this case, the curing salt is an added layer of protection.

Last edited:
LOL You know me and weeknight cooking. Easy button please..... Was shopping at the Smiths Marketplace (hypermarket) in Lost Almost a few weeks ago and stumbled on this box of Marion's Kitchen Thai Green Curry Chicken Kit so thought I would give it a shot. I still love the TJ's green curry simmer sauce in the jar. Talk about easy. This was not all that difficult either but a little more involved in the timing of adding of the ingredients. I would have preferred a bit more heat (from the included dried spice packet) but Mrs IB thought it was on point. I added the chicken breast and optional (veggies) red bell pepper, squash, snow peas and chopped scallions.

fullsizeoutput_11cc.jpeg

No, they cannot thrive. The magic number is actually 130F. Above that temperature, the population is decreasing. As Jim points out, you may need to wait longer at 130F than at 160F, but the buggers are being killed, not reproducing. At 160, they are more or less instantly dead (15 s), at 140 it takes 15 minutes, at 130 it takes ~2 hours to reduce their numbers to safe levels.

http://www.cookingissues.com/index.html%3Fp=6.html

low_temp_chart_sous_vide.jpg

Wife is gone, so it's just me and the kids. Boys night in! Frozen pizza followed by movie night with microwave popcorn. Forget that healthy, air-popped stuff.

Oh man, what a dinner we had last night! Had one of our best couple friends down last night for dinner and a documentary (LOL) He is an avid collector of French wines and they had not seen the film "Sour Grapes" so we decided to have our own version of a French Bistro dinner.

Started out the evening with Hors d'oeuvre of some nice softened brie and smoked gouda served with sliced pears, pink seedless grapes, apples and water crackers. This was paired with 2 nicely chilled French Rose' wines. One from Costco, one from TW.

For the main course, we prepared Braised Chipotle Short Ribs in the Dutch Oven. I improvised and added 2 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder which added another layer of complexity and worked out really well. This was served over a bed of Creamy Parmesan Polenta with a side of sautéed Rainbow Swiss Chard.

Braised-Chipotle-Short-Ribs-www.kitchenconfidante.com-4.jpg

The wine was once in a lifetime stuff. Our friends brought 2 different bottles of Burgundy. One 2004, one 2008. I pulled out a big gun that I had been sitting on now for close to eight years. A 2006 Châteauneuf-du-Pape that had everyone at the table swooning over.

A wonderful evening from start to finish and everyone was left shaking their heads wondering just how in the world Rudy Kurniawan pulled that off the con for so long!

Last edited:
Cool wet day around these parts (low 50's) and I didn't want to flip all the vents and turn the heat back on, so I got the oven going all afternoon (ceramic stove top, stays warm and really warms the west side of the house pretty darn well). Middle of last week our local Giant had some off the back of the truck prices on Hotel prepped turkey breasts. They were nearing there limit on age, so I picked one up for $6 (9.5 lbs) and tossed it in the freezer. (Looking at the image it reminds me of a Sesame Street Martian) Thawed last night and this morning and popped it in the oven (started at 250, now at 350*F). Will serve with some smashed taters and a vege of my wife's choice. Nice easy meal so I can get beer and wine duties finished. Rubbed with some oil, kosher salt, pepper and rosemary. House is smelling pretty fine about right now. Able to overcome the lemon oil scent from my wife cleaning all morning (Bill, I need more of that apple wine, it has transformed her into a housewife!).

5-13-17_turkey.JPG

Looks like the poor guy crash landed right into the pan! :)

What is a hotel prepped turkey?

The label says "Hotel style Fresh young turkey breast".

It has wings but they removed the legs (you'd think there is a law prohibiting that). My wife (who has worked in food prep for a small hotel) says that the opened huge cavity on the front is meant for a several pound ball of stuffing to be inserted (which we didn't because we have a GF dude in the family). It is open to ensure that it cooks properly and no one dies of a food illness, which I assume is frowned upon in a hotel. Guess that is why I rarely stay at one, you need some excitement every now and then, especially since they are so expensive to stay a night.

Warm weather, finally! Bringing out the grillista in us. We made baked cauliflower (butter, garlic, cumin, chipotle) that worked out really well. On the grill, we had corn on the cob, then stripped it off the cob for sauteeing with butter and cumin and garlic. Also had a "salad" of grilled romaine hearts, with an herb vinaigrette dressing. The protein was nice chuck steak, dry-brined, seasoned with paprika blend, sesame oil, and garlic. Hit this on a HOT grill for 3 minutes a side. Everything was good! :HB

Back