What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the notion that there is a slight declivity from outside to inside, so that juices run INTO the fire.

I don't know the price of this. Craig ( @ceeaton ), what was included in the price you mentioned? On another front, I am scheming to see if there is a way I could fabricate such a bad boy... I could probably make a square version, given enough motivation.

http://www.westontable.com/holiday/ofyr-outdoor-cooking-grill

Looks like the "classic" version with nothing else (ie. no grill etc).

SCORE! I pound Guanciale made in house! They had everything we needed including the real deal tomatoes and pasta. We had a late lunch at the market and Mrs IB fell in love with the home made "tomato jam" so some of that came home as well. We will give this a shot tomorrow night!

Nice, dinner at Mike's place. I went to three butchers and 4 stores this morning, struck out. One of the butchers said they use to make it but didn't have much demand at $15/lb, so they stopped making it. He said I could make it myself or order it from Parma in Pittsburgh like he does.

You can substitute thick sliced pancetta or even thick cut bacon that has not had smoke or flavoring added. I called whole paycheck in Santa fe. No luck. They said try one of the Mexican carniceria's of which there are several they do carry pork jowls!

You can substitute thick sliced pancetta or even thick cut bacon that has not had smoke or flavoring added. I called whole paycheck in Santa fe. No luck. They said try one of the Mexican carniceria's of which there are several they do carry pork jowls!

I used the pancetta and made it for lunch, it smelled wonderful and tasted very good, nice depth in the tomato flavors. I'll be curious to see how the flavor differs using the real McCoy. Couldn't find any non-smoked bacon, even at the farmers market, though I could find double smoked.

4-1-17_lunch.jpg

I imagine your missing an extra dose or two of.......... bacon fat! :sm

Looks like you can make ho-made pretty easily if you can find the pork jowls.

To cure your own guanciale at home:

1 pork jowl
1 oz whole black peppercorns 1 oz red chile flake
12 oz kosher salt
4 oz brown sugar
1 oz instacure #1

Trim the pork jowl of any undesirable glands, skin or excess fat. With a sharp knife, score the guanciale halfway through the meat. You want the scores to run parallel with the natural striations of the meat.
Mix the remaining ingredients to make the guanciale cure. Liberally rub the meat with the cure, using your fingers to press the salt into the grooves and pockets of the jowl. Any remaining cure can be saved indefinitely in the refrigerator.
Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 month, but up to 6 weeks.
Prior to using, rinse the guanciale under cold running water to remove the cure, taking care to get all of the peppercorns.
Your guanciale is now ready to slice.
Extra guanciale can be saved in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped in plastic, for 4 to 6 weeks.

Last edited:
I'll be curious to see how the flavor differs using the real McCoy.

I imagine your missing an extra dose or two of.......... bacon fat! :sm

Yeah, I think Mike is on target here. The way I have heard it described, and I will concur with this vague descriptor, is that the guanciale brings a strong porkiness to the party. I have to agree.

Trim the pork jowl of any undesirable glands, skin or excess fat.

When speaking with the butcher at one of the stands in the market this morning, I mentioned not knowing quite what to expect with the "glands" and which were undesirable, he said, and I quote "they're all good".

Onto another topic, it stopped raining and the wind is coming from the correct direction to still attempt a smoking session (without beer so it ain't the same), so I fired 'er up and put on some cured salmon, two fajita flavored chicken breasts, and a small (5 lb-ish) whole chicken, minus the guts and head and feathers. The fajita flavored breasts are for my wife's salads this week, the salmon is for the boys' (youngest one in particular) lunch tomorrow, and the whole chicken (without some parts) is for dinner tonight. Now just have to figure out what to serve with it since I'm quickly running out of time before dinner.

4-1-17_dinner.jpg

I just had "Niños embueltos" cooked by my in law.
Basically cooked ground beef with rice wrapped in cabbage and slow cooked in some special seasoning.. Delicious...!:HB

I had a nice meal with no work to speak of! In the freezer, I had 3 ribs off of a prime rib roast. That is, just the ribs and the intracostal meat in between them. Heated that up in a 250F oven, along with previously made sauteed Brussels sprouts, and microwaved some previously cooked Wehani rice with nice spices, and we had a ready-made dinner!

Why doesn't somebody here with metal working skills mock up an insert to fit the 22" Weber grill and turn it into one of cool grills from Denmark! Seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to do if cut to size to fit onto the Weber's internal grill inserts. ::

You have a Weber kettle. One of the most capable pieces of patio hardware out there. ;)

Latest posts

Back