What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a friend over tonight, and I made a "crowd favorite.": Bucatini all'Amatriciana. I used half traditional guanciale, and half ho-made bacon. I also made a salad of hearts of Romaine, then broiled until charred, and bathed in a dressing of lemon juice, macerated shallots, tarragon, and olive oil. :HB

:d:d:slp:slp

I need to start using Google more frequently...:)

86a230ebd9d169f4ffe8ec29e5df5b783ef1e48b0767b72ef3ec96a5f9eaee42.jpg

That's right. Pics or your "spaghetti" dinner never happened!

We had a friend over tonight, and I made a "crowd favorite.": Bucatini all'Amatriciana. I used half traditional guanciale, and half ho-made bacon.

You made what now?

Do you really not know that dish? You are in for a treat! You owe it to yourself to give this a try. It is super simple.

Traditionally, you use guanciale, which is bacon made from the jowl of a hog. However, pancetta makes a good substitute, or even plain ol' bacon. Cut this into lardons, fry it up, then fry onions in the fat. Add a tsp (or to taste) of crushed red pepper flakes. Then put in tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) and simmer for 1/2 hour.

Cook the bucatini, stopping a minute early, then finish cooking the pasta in the sauce. Serve with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Pecorino.

Traditionally, these are the only ingredients, and denizens of Amatrice get snippy on this point. However, I add garlic, too.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bucatini-all-amatriciana-2

http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/bucatini-amatriciana/

Where do you guys find Guanciale locally? I think I would have to go to a specialty store in ABQ to find it unless Whole Paycheck carries it in Santa fe.

Yeah, it is not easy to come by. My late, great mom-and-pop grocery store carried it. When they sadly closed a few weeks ago, I bought their last ~3 lbs of it. There is another place a few miles from me, a venerable mom-and-pop store in a former Italian neighborhood, that carries it. I don't know of a mainstream source for it...

As luck would have it we are making a Costco run today and I found an Italian restaurant with a small market attached to it only about 5 miles away from Costco (wish they carried it but have never seen it there) Called and they have plenty for sale for $17.99/lb. Not sure if that is good price or not. M'tucci's

As luck would have it we are making a Costco run today and I found an Italian restaurant with a small market attached to it only about 5 miles away from Costco (wish they carried it but have never seen it there) Called and they have plenty for sale for $17.99/lb. Not sure if that is good price or not. M'tucci's

That's about what I pay. When I got the "closeout" on the 3 lbs, I got it for a lot less, like $10/lb.

Last edited:
So it looks like about an ounce per serving, so that only ads a bit more than a dollar a serving and I'm assuming it "makes" the dish what it is, so that really isn't too bad. I may hike over to our local farmers market and see if the two Italian meat guys know where I can get some. Just hope the Wikipedia pronunciation is correct.

Doing a google search there are a couple of places in Pittsburgh that carry Guanciale, might be worth it to me since that is 1 day shipping either FedEx or UPS.

Last edited:
Probably impractical, but I want this grill!

It's only impractical if you don't use it. Loved that video though. My only concern would be what keeps juices (or all that butter in the case of those lobsters) from running all over your deck/patio?

I watched one of the video choices that came up after that video and they had an iron grate that stood up over the middle of the grill and they had a Dutch oven perched on top...that would open up all kinds of possibilities! A relative bargain at $2995.

Last edited:
SCORE! I pound Guanciale made in house! They had everything we needed including the real deal tomatoes and pasta. We had a late lunch at the market and Mrs IB fell in love with the home made "tomato jam" so some of that came home as well. We will give this a shot tomorrow night!

IMG_2089.jpg

SCORE! I pound Guanciale made in house! They had everything we needed including the real deal tomatoes and pasta. We had a late lunch at the market and Mrs IB fell in love with the home made "tomato jam" so some of that came home as well. We will give this a shot tomorrow night!

Why can I like this only once!?!!?!?!? :HB

My only concern would be what keeps juices (or all that butter in the case of those lobsters) from running all over your deck/patio?

I have the notion that there is a slight declivity from outside to inside, so that juices run INTO the fire.

I don't know the price of this. Craig ( @ceeaton ), what was included in the price you mentioned? On another front, I am scheming to see if there is a way I could fabricate such a bad boy... I could probably make a square version, given enough motivation.

I trusted this Zagat produced video. The guy pronouncing italian foods sounds like he is the real deal and knows how to say it perfectly. Look for Guanciale at about the 20 second mark.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC22MOJ08T4[/ame]

Just hope the Wikipedia pronunciation is correct.

Back