Other What would you do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codeman

Reaction score
So I bought a WE Pinot Noir kit, it came damaged, luckily the UPS driver left a note about it.
Called the distributor and no problem getting a replacement. (They said throw it away since it's very obviously leaking juice)
I opened the kit to see if anything is salvagable so I took the yeast and clearing agent.
Now I'm left with a bag of Pinot juice, I suspect it's about 70% left. Is this juice completely useless?

So even though the bag has been opened the bentonite and whatnot should kill off any nasties that are in there?

I'm going to respectfully disagree with dralarms. If the bag was open and leaking, I'd toss it. Especially since you are getting a replacement. You have no idea what may have gotten in there.

I agree with Jim and dralarms, and I would dump the open juice. I would not risk the good Pinot Noir for the larger batch of unknown quality. You could end up losing the whole thing for really no reason as the supplier made good on your original order. Keep any unopened additives, e.g. yeast, oak, bentonite, etc. and pitch anything that is open would be my advice. Good luck with the wine.

I'd ferment it... in a heartbeat.
Not with the new kit of course, but I would do a 3 gal. Without seeing the damage, I can only assume that it is a rather slow, small leak or you wouldn't have any juice to call in question. Making wine using fresh grapes is not the cleanest process so I doubt anything of serious harm could get IN to a leaking bag.
That's just me though. I like to experiment. Especially on someone else's dime.

I like Lori idea the best -
Just make sure to keep them separate -
You never know what you may end up with unless you try !

I recently took a very old kit wine that someone gave me (very out of expiration date ) and mixed the 2 together and only made 6 gallons and added everclear and made some nice tawny port out of it. It was that or throw it out - I am glad I made the right decision this time -

On second thought, I tend to agree with Lori and Steve. It is worth your time and effort to give it a try and ferment it separately. I still would not mix the two wines unless and until you are sure that both are okay. Never can tell what might happen. You may make the best wine ever!

Ok what about this:

Use the pinot and add appropriate amount of water, reserve 1/2 cup for F pack.

Add 2 tablespoons of oak chips.

Replace yeast with? ??? (I want to experiment)

Wait until fermentation is done, add stabilizing agents. What do I use? I don't want to use the included stuff.

Add F pack juice with 1/2 cup blackberries.

Use sparkolloid to clear.

Yep, after thinking about it, it makes no sense to toss it without at least trying it out. Separately, of course. ;)

Would this be an appropriate time to add camden/k meta to the juice for a day or two then pitch the yeast?

Yeah I would use k meta to kill anything before pitchig the yeast.

How do I stabilize after fermentation, before adding the homemade F pack?

Same as always. Use the Kmeta and sorb that came with the kit. You can either adjust the kit chemical amount by the % reduction in must or follow the label directions if you have kmeta/ fresh sorb laying around. Basically follow step 3 on the directions.

ok great! Any recommendations on the yeast? Remember I want to experiment, but not drastically like bread yeast lol.

I got nothing on yeast. What came with the kit? I'd use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Well Premier Cuvée came with it, but since I have a Pinot kit coming (with the same yeast) I thought I'd use something different to see how much influence the yeast will have on flavor.

Back