What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started my wine dec 8 with an SG of 1.095 before pitching the yeast. Dec 20 siphoned into a carboy. SG was 1.0175. Dec 31 it was 1.008 and no activity seen. January 1 siphoned some off and added 1/4 cup sugar and heated slightly to dissolve the sugar. Added it to the wine and stirred. SG went to 1.01. 24 hours later no change. I kept the lees when I put it into the secondary to make some skeeter pee. Have 2 quarts in the fridge. Should I bring 1 out to warm up and put everything back into the primary to leave it finish dry?

So whats the problem? You should have had enough yeast to finish it off but they gave up and now you have a sweet berry wine, its probably pretty good tasting right? Crackedcork

Started my wine dec 8 with an SG of 1.095 before pitching the yeast. Dec 20 siphoned into a carboy. SG was 1.0175. Dec 31 it was 1.008 and no activity seen. January 1 siphoned some off and added 1/4 cup sugar and heated slightly to dissolve the sugar. Added it to the wine and stirred. SG went to 1.01. 24 hours later no change. I kept the lees when I put it into the secondary to make some skeeter pee. Have 2 quarts in the fridge. Should I bring 1 out to warm up and put everything back into the primary to leave it finish dry?

Like C.C. says, you should have a sweet berry wine at this time. If you did not add sorbate before you put the extra sugar in, you stand a chance of your ferment starting back up again. If the yeast has reached its alcohol tolerance, you should be good, if not it will probably start fermenting again especially if it warms up some. I would let it sit in bulk at least for a while and see what happens. Arne.

That is real close to 12%. When you warm it up it has a good chance of fermenting again. Let it warm up, degas it and give it 3 or 4 days and check the SG again.I would not be in a hurry to bottle because Strawberry seems to drop sediment for a long time. Do add some K meta to protect against oxidation. That small amount I would add about 1/2 f a 1/8 teaspoon (I know its 1/16th but I have never seen one of those spoons)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back