WineXpert What the hell is this!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Well I racked my eclipse cab into my carboy. It's in the secondary fermentation about 3 days. Yesterday i saw this. What is it?

image-1968976657.jpg

Nothing to be worried about. The wine is still going thru's transformation

Thank you! This is the first time I have not topped up from a primary racking! It looks like mold. What is it?

Looks to me like gas bubbles of some sort..can't quite tell looking at the photo on my phone. I get them all the time when I first rack into carboy.

Are those streaks on the inside or the outside? A better picture would put my mind at ease. If that is froth, OK, but it might be something more serious. Keep an eye on it closely. As soon as the SG is around .992-.994 for a couple days I would rack it,add sulfite and top up.

I cleaned the glass right before I took the picture. It looks like a film.

It looks like it is just little grouping of gas bubbles, I have had them in my wine. I can't see how if would be infected. What is the sg?

Well I have not taken one but I tasted it tonight. Smells good and tastes fine ;) so maybe no worry?

It looks like trapped gas to me also but I know where grapeman is going with this and that could get bad but IMO its way too early for that to be forming unless you were very unsanitary. Also, if it is streaks and you used a no rinse cleanser those tend to build up on glass and look like what your seeing and it usually only dhows when gilled with a liquid .. If your still fermenting I highy doubt you have any type of problem at all.

Well I have not taken one but I tasted it tonight. Smells good and tastes fine ;) so maybe no worry?

No worries and take a reading, this will let you know if your wine is done fermenting.

If you want an idea of what an infection can look like, just do a Google image search of 'homebrew infection' (only because there are so many of them), and you'll find many pictures of infected homebrew beer. Beer is usually a more hospitable environment for bad things compared to wine, but it gives you an idea.

Latest posts

Back