What temp is optimal to store/age reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyMetal

Junior
Reaction score
Last year I made a cab sav and a Barbera. I let them ferment for a few months then I put them in my garage where they were around 27 degrees F for a few weeks. I thought that would kill any residual live yeast and make it so I didnt need to add sulfur or any chemicals. However some of the bottles became fizzy, and the cork blew out of one of them. I just finished the last bottle of last years wine and again it had a fizz to it. I am concerned about this years wine. I have twice the amount going right now. I fermented the carboys in a 70-75 degree room for 2 weeks, then I moved the carboys to a room that stays around 60 degrees. Now I am starting to be concerned that when I bottle this batch I might experience the same carbonation problem. Is storing the carboys at 60 degrees going to let the yeast finish itself off?

I also wondered about the corks themselves adding food or yeast. I did put them on a tray and baked them for about an hour at 300F in an attempt to kill anything that might be riding on them.

Hey heavy metal! 60 degrees is not really warm enough to finish the fermentation. You should keep it warmer than that 70-75 is probably ideal. Also cold will not nessesarily kill the yest to stop fermentation. You should get a hydrometer and wait until the SG is the same for 3 days in a row and then you know the fermentation is complete. Then you can move into the cooler temps. 2 weeks may not be enough to finish fermentation. Also this being a red wine did you degass it? If not that would cause the corks to pop out. Also you should use K-meta on your corks to kill anything on them. I have never heard of putting them in the oven. I see you are from Saratoga I was in your neck of the woods this weekend. My family is in Diamond Point (just North of Lake George) and I still come up a few times a year to include Christmas.

Brian- thanks for the advice. What are your thoughts on moving the carboys upstairs into the warmer temps now that they have been stored at 60 degrees for 2+ months now? Would there be any living yeast left to keep the fermentation going at this point? Also, I really never let my house get above 67-69 degrees, is that going to be enough heat to do anything?

I did de-gas the carboys last year by vigorously stirring them repeatedly with an oak dowel. Some bottles had no gas at all 10 months later, and others did?

I have spent many summers at a lakeside house in Diamond Point, as well as pretty much growing up on Lake George in the summers. It is a beautiful lake and a great place to be. If you ever get the chance try to be on the lake for Log Bay day(last Monday in July), just dont bring the Misses(but do bring bead necklaces)!

Yes I would move the carboys upstaris to get them as warm as possible. 67-68 should be good and wait until the fermentation stops before moving them to the cold. Once fermentation has stopped and you have degassed and stabalized the wine 60 deg should be good but I would be careful about temp changes. So in the spring when the temp starts to rise I would put them somewhere where they can stay at a constant temp. Degassing is tough sometimes and if the wine is to cold you probably won't get all the gas out. Idealy the wine should be mid 70s to get all the gas out and it is still would be hard with a dowel. I see you don't make much wine and I am sure you don't want to spend much but if I were you I would spend a little and get a mityvac about $40.00 at harbor freight and sometimes you can find one cheaper on ebay or Amazon. It is a brake bleeder pump. You plug it into your carboy bung and degass. It is very simple and does a great job and you will not have a gas problem after that. If you still think you might have problems or are not sure it is best to post the recipe you used for your wine and the steps you took and the Specific gravity readings you got along the way. It might help us help you faster and not have to ask you so many questions. I am cool with helping I just want to make sure I give you the right info and not lead you astray..

As far as Log Bay day.. I have heard about it but have never made it there. I am retired Army and then I retired to PA and I come up for Americade and the week of Labor day and a day or so for Christmas and that is about all I get to come up. But is sounds like fun if I ever get the chance.

Latest posts

Back