What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got socked with snow today, and blowing, gusty winds made shoveling pretty pointless. (I did it anyway, and will have to do it again in the morning. :m )

After the Stupor Bowl, I racked my CC Showcase Amarone from primary to secondary.

we got hit with snow again too.We shoveled out before the game and will have to do it again in the morning.

Congrats Raelene, well deserved I'm sure.

Today I racked 12 gallons of Fredonia, 11 Gallons of Concord and 6 gallons of Reisling in anticipation of placing outside next weekend for cold stabilization. I had to add some grapeskin extract to the Concord to get rid of the Orange color. I think I'll be trying somewhere other than Presque Isle in 2015 for my Concord. The flavor is good but the orange color just kills me...

I got all of the construction done on my two bookcases, now the all important finishing begins. Sand, fill, sand fill and sand some more. The pattern (from Norm Abram) calls for the inside of the bookcases and the shelves to be painted. I used oak plywood and red oak for trim and I am somewhat reluctant to cover that with paint. We'll see.

100_0773.jpg

100_0774.jpg

Rocky that is beautiful. Oak is hard to paint and stain is so much prettier. I am just finishing up a oak counter top to cover my front loading washer and dryer. I like to use poplar trim if I'm going to paint it.

Rocky, great job looks fantastic. I also vote stain especially when the wood is of a good quality it's a shame to cover it with paint. :br

I know what you are all saying about painting the plywood. The wood I used was A2 (that is what Home Depot had in stock) so for the "inside" and the underside of the shelves, I made sure to used Side 2. I used Side A for the exterior and top of shelves. The stiles and rail and the shelf fronts are red oak and the crown and trim pieces (I think) are white oak. I am using a very dark stain to match other furniture in the room. The way Norm shows his in the book is with a colonial green paint on the inside and the shelves. It makes a nice appearance and frankly, the Side 2 wood is a marked contrast from Side A. I think what I may do is stain the inside and if I don't like the results, paint it. It is much easier to go in that direction than the other way around. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

Throwing out my first batch of Skeeter Pee. I'm having a heck of a time trying to regulate the heat in my primary bucket. I've used a aquarium heater with a circulating pump, I now have tried a brew belt with a temperature control. I think my problem is that I am leaving the lid on.. not tight... just on. Building too much heat at the top. I will start a new batch after I mock it up with just water and cheesecloth for a covering (so I'm not holding the heat in) :ft

I know what you are all saying about painting the plywood. The wood I used was A2 (that is what Home Depot had in stock) so for the "inside" and the underside of the shelves, I made sure to used Side 2. I used Side A for the exterior and top of shelves. The stiles and rail and the shelf fronts are red oak and the crown and trim pieces (I think) are white oak. I am using a very dark stain to match other furniture in the room. The way Norm shows his in the book is with a colonial green paint on the inside and the shelves. It makes a nice appearance and frankly, the Side 2 wood is a marked contrast from Side A. I think what I may do is stain the inside and if I don't like the results, paint it. It is much easier to go in that direction than the other way around. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

It's always good to have a plan B but I think you'll be suprised with how much the stain will hide especially a dark stain although it will be difficult to match something existing. All depends on how the wood takes the stain especially when you have different types of wood they may not all look the same. I myself am partial to Golden Oak. Like that old gal in the commercial says. " I put that $h1t on everything". :)

Today I started 5 gallons of must from a recipe I've been working on for several weeks. I'll post the recipe on my Gussman Threads once I bottle. So far it looks like a successful blend and the SG and PA came out higher than expected. Only time will tell or Not Tell. :HB

what a great idea Dan! I never would have thought of having wood put on top of my washer and dryer. Can you post a pic when done? You might have added another item on to hubby's to do list ;)

what a great idea Dan! I never would have thought of having wood put on top of my washer and dryer. Can you post a pic when done? You might have added another item on to hubby's to do list ;)

The wood is 3/4" oak plywood. I added oak molding on the two exposed edges. I use honey oak stain and five coats of sealer on it. I put rubber bumpers on the bottom so it sits about 1/4" of the washer and dryer. I cut out the area for the hoses and access to the shut offs so it fits tight against the wall and nothing can fall behind them.

001.jpg

Had a meeting in Chicago today. About an hour before I started driving home, it started snowing! I hit the road at rush hour, so the 90-mile trip took about 3 hours. Boo-hoo.

I got home, cooked a quick meal, and started guzzling Menage a Trois Midnight.

Back