What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wifey was out eating dinner on the front porch, weather around here is pre-fall like for another day, then the 90s come back for next week. She said the yellow jackets were pestering her pretty bad, I've noticed quite a few of them when I'm grilling, so I knew I had a nest somewhere nearby.

Stood on the porch and looked at the drop-off towards the neighbors, a normal place for ground yellow jacket nests. I need to weed wack this weekend, so I like to check out my area before wacking, as the last three or so years I've found nests by braille. Not nice when you have epi-pens in the house because of your bee sting allergy.

Low and behold, noticed some bees streaking into the concrete wall that supports the front porch concrete pad. Have a few cracks I've been meaning to fix, they were in there. Guessing only a few hundred bees in this one, so it just got going. Just happened to have 1/2 a bottle of carpenter bee/ground bee spray with a nice long nozzle like a can of WD-40. Stuck it in the hole and sprayed. Had to quickly get out of the general area as the hole errupted, most just tumbling out to the ground (it was about 2' up the wall).

Just happy I found them before they found me. Normally will only get one nest in the yard, but the last few years I've had several at a time. At least I feel good weed wacking on that side of the house and won't be going to bed with 20+ stings on my legs/arms etc (and my wife waking me up several times overnight to make sure I'm still breathing).

Edit: well, no activity this morning for my nest, but less than 15 feet away in the neighbors yard I see another one, this one has tons of activity so a much larger ground nest.

Last edited:
The other day, while parked at the recycling center, I could not start my truck. Nope, not the battery or the starter -- I could not turn the key. I messed with it for about 5 minutes, then got it to turn. YAYYY! I get to go home.

I looked it up -- ignition switch. I wonder what it costs, and how much labor will be??? So I go to the Fountain of Misguided Knowledge (YouTube) and look for ignition switch for "1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5". Sure enough, there are numerous videos claiming to teach changing the ignition switch.

Watched the first one -- 6 minute video, from opening up the dash panel to closing it back up. Ok, looks easy enough ... which is a less deadly version of "hold my beer and watch this!" So I watched another one -- this one is 5 minutes. Same thing, plus it includes a link on Amazon for the switch that fits my truck.

Amazon asks make-n-model, and confirms the unit fits my truck. $27 and it will be delivered tomorrow (which is today). Cool. Let's see how this works in reality.

Disconnect the battery. Pull 4 bolts and a screw. Lower the dash panel (hood release cable still attached). Put the key on Accessory and push a pin on the bottom of the switch, then pull. It popped out. Put the key in the new one on Accessory, push in until it clicks. Reinstall the panel and connect the battery. Start the truck -- it works!

It seriously took 5 minutes. I'm honestly astounded. Note: I do woodworking, wiring, plumbing, etc., but other than basic maintenance, don't work on vehicles. I 'spose that needs to change.

The other day, while parked at the recycling center, I could not start my truck. Nope, not the battery or the starter -- I could not turn the key. I messed with it for about 5 minutes, then got it to turn. YAYYY! I get to go home.

I looked it up -- ignition switch. I wonder what it costs, and how much labor will be??? So I go to the Fountain of Misguided Knowledge (YouTube) and look for ignition switch for "1998 Toyota Tacoma SR5". Sure enough, there are numerous videos claiming to teach changing the ignition switch.

Watched the first one -- 6 minute video, from opening up the dash panel to closing it back up. Ok, looks easy enough ... which is a less deadly version of "hold my beer and watch this!" So I watched another one -- this one is 5 minutes. Same thing, plus it includes a link on Amazon for the switch that fits my truck.

Amazon asks make-n-model, and confirms the unit fits my truck. $27 and it will be delivered tomorrow (which is today). Cool. Let's see how this works in reality.

Disconnect the battery. Pull 4 bolts and a screw. Lower the dash panel (hood release cable still attached). Put the key on Accessory and push a pin on the bottom of the switch, then pull. It popped out. Put the key in the new one on Accessory, push in until it clicks. Reinstall the panel and connect the battery. Start the truck -- it works!

It seriously took 5 minutes. I'm honestly astounded. Note: I do woodworking, wiring, plumbing, etc., but other than basic maintenance, don't work on vehicles. I 'spose that needs to change.
Google says that wound be about a $350 job at a dealership. You saved enough to buy a few wine kits!! :)

Wifey was out eating dinner on the front porch, weather around here is pre-fall like for another day, then the 90s come back for next week. She said the yellow jackets were pestering her pretty bad, I've noticed quite a few of them when I'm grilling, so I knew I had a nest somewhere nearby.

Stood on the porch and looked at the drop-off towards the neighbors, a normal place for ground yellow jacket nests. I need to weed wack this weekend, so I like to check out my area before wacking, as the last three or so years I've found nests by braille. Not nice when you have epi-pens in the house because of your bee sting allergy.

Low and behold, noticed some bees streaking into the concrete wall that supports the front porch concrete pad. Have a few cracks I've been meaning to fix, they were in there. Guessing only a few hundred bees in this one, so it just got going. Just happened to have 1/2 a bottle of carpenter bee/ground bee spray with a nice long nozzle like a can of WD-40. Stuck it in the hole and sprayed. Had to quickly get out of the general area as the hole errupted, most just tumbling out to the ground (it was about 2' up the wall).

Just happy I found them before they found me. Normally will only get one nest in the yard, but the last few years I've had several at a time. At least I feel good weed wacking on that side of the house and won't be going to bed with 20+ stings on my legs/arms etc (and my wife waking me up several times overnight to make sure I'm still breathing).

Edit: well, no activity this morning for my nest, but less than 15 feet away in the neighbors yard I see another one, this one has tons of activity so a much larger ground nest.
I usually find one. This year three so far.

I accidentally found one nest. I must have tripped their perimeter alarms because I was stung 10+ times. Interestingly, they came at me like bullets - all the stings were on the front of my legs between my knees and ankles. Crazy mean little SOB's.

If you have leftover hot peppers cut them in half and smoke them for a few hours then dehydrate and grind. It makes the most amazing chipotle seasoning!!
Oh God yes!
In the past I canned, lacto feremented, and dehydrated. This year I added smoking. Better than any store bought!

Here's something for you - red okra. Forget the green stuff, this grows better and best of all they don't get stemmy. Even a large pod is still tender and tasty. I've been grilling them, skewer several, cover them in Trader Joe's Chile Lime or similar. Then on the grill for 4 min per side. Really excellent and almost better than deep fried (I am from the South).

I've never heard of red okra, but love the green okra. In season, every store in the Raleigh area has locally grown. I'll look for red now.
I've not seen it in the store, not saying it isn't there though. We have a garden and tried the red this year and it's been great. It turns back green as soon as you start cooking it.

Latest posts

Back