What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not today, but tomorrow! It is game time! My grapes are set to arrive tomorrow morning. These will be 200 lbs. of Syrah grapes from Horse Heaven Hills! I am psyched.
I'm psyched for ya! Saturday morning crush sounds pretty great. Good luck. Finally get to put that customized press to use

Good luck, Paul! Finished pressing our Pinot Noir and Cab Franc this morning. All the hard work is done for the season. :db

Oh, yay! Old emojis are back!!!

How did we do today? We crushed it!
A good time was had by all. We went through a few thousand pounds pretty quickly. The crush was held at the home of a member of the Wisconsin Vintner's Association, and he and his wife were very gracious. More importantly, he had all the toys! He had a wonderful outbuilding where we did the crus, which was filled with tools galore (a 70's Camaro under restoration, a CNC milling machine, a nice welding table, you know, the usual stuff). He also had a beautiful stainless steel crusher/destemmer that made quick work of the grapes. To move it around, of course we used his skid steer. The usual, you know. :)

There were ~30 of us there, and we all found our role. Despite the rain, I traded my cushy "inside job" breaking down lugs for a cushy "outside job" tending buckets. The "outside" crew somehow found the corkscrew and opened up a number of wines before the "inside" crew caught on. After the crush, we retired inside for Sloppy Joes, which was a nice touch.

The grapes appear to be very high Brix. All early reports are north of 27, some ranging up to 30. Lessee if I can manage to post pix.

Attachments

• DSCN0734.jpg
    DSCN0734.jpg
    577.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0735.jpg
    DSCN0735.jpg
    678.2 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0738.jpg
    DSCN0738.jpg
    745.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0739.jpg
    DSCN0739.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN0740.jpg
    DSCN0740.jpg
    954.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0742.jpg
    DSCN0742.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 33
There were ~30 of us there, and we all found our role. Despite the rain, I traded my cushy "inside job" breaking down lugs for a cushy "outside job" tending buckets. The "outside" crew somehow found the corkscrew and opened up a number of wines before the "inside" crew caught on. After the crush, we retired inside for Sloppy Joes, which was a nice touch.

I can see YOU taking the lead in finding the corkscrew

How did we do today? We crushed it!
A good time was had by all. We went through a few thousand pounds pretty quickly.
The grapes appear to be very high Brix. All early reports are north of 27, some ranging up to 30. Lessee if I can manage to post pix.

Looks like a pretty good day, nice to have mechanical advantage for the heavy lifting. So what did you end up taking home to make your wine from?

I can see YOU taking the lead in finding the corkscrew

Well, I was not the first. There were a couple of young bucks who have partnered up and jumped into winemaking with both feet recently. They readily admit to being, uhhhh, enthusiastic samplers every time they do anything wine related. However, I will admit to being quick on the Swiss Army knife corkscrew once theirs was opened. :D

Looks like a pretty good day, nice to have mechanical advantage for the heavy lifting. So what did you end up taking home to make your wine from?

Yeah, I suppose I didn't provide all the deets. I brought home 200 lbs of Horse Heaven Hills Syrah. In a later shipment, I am getting a juice bucket of Ancient Lakes AVA Viognier.

Okay, our grapes clocked in at 27.4 Brix, and pH of 3.8 or so. TA reports (by others) were in the 5.2 to 6.5 range.

Yesterday, I added some Lallezyme EX and bentonite. This morning, I added some FT Tannin Rouge. I chose to water back my must to 24.5 Brix today. I am in the process of rehydrating the D254 for the inoculation. Houston, we have liftoff! Will pitch shortly.

4 day weekend sooooooo Started on 50lbs of Ho-Made Snausage! The first 10lb test batch is history. Probably gave 1/3 of it away to family. This time making a 60/40 blend of Beef/Pork. Just finished cutting up all the meat. Had to do it in two batches. 4 hours from start to finish. Got it all mixed up and seasoned. Now to let it sit and meld covered in the fridge for a day before grinding.

"Scouting for Food" this morning: picking up canned goods w/ Cub Scouts. We'll be going door to door with temps hovering around 20. Brrr! I hope I'm one of the lucky parents that gets to drive the car and follow while the kids fill it up.

Yesterday, Dad and I emptied the barrels of the 2016 Lanza Cab and Syrah. Added some oak cubes to each. Then we sampled those, as well as the Zin and Petite Sirah. All 4 are excellent. We'll do some blending trials in about 4 weeks, then blend and bottle between Christmas and New Years.

Barrels were filled back up with a Citric/KMeta solution. In a month or so, the first of the 2017s will go in, once MLF is done and they've cleared a tad more.

"Scouting for Food" this morning: picking up canned goods w/ Cub Scouts. We'll be going door to door with temps hovering around 20. Brrr! I hope I'm one of the lucky parents that gets to drive the car and follow while the kids fill it up.

Yesterday, Dad and I emptied the barrels of the 2016 Lanza Cab and Syrah. Added some oak cubes to each. Then we sampled those, as well as the Zin and Petite Sirah. All 4 are excellent. We'll do some blending trials in about 4 weeks, then blend and bottle between Christmas and New Years.

Barrels were filled back up with a Citric/KMeta solution. In a month or so, the first of the 2017s will go in, once MLF is done and they've cleared a tad more.

I have some sulfur sticks if you want to burn and save the oak.

Off to drop my daughter off at the school for her Field Hockey game, they are in the State tournament right now. I think they need to win 3 more games to win the whole enchilada. Then a quick text and heading for @jgmann67's place for some carboy tipping! Then need to get back and do an off the back of the truck pork roast in the dutch oven for dinner.

My wife and I, plus three other winemaking couples are heading to Cancun for a week long, stir on the beach, all - inclusive vacation. Turns out to be the Inaguaral International Flight for Southwest from St. Louis. They had a party at the gate, free drinks on the flight, free internet in the air. Having a great time and we haven't even gotten out of Missouri, yet.

Latest posts

Back