What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At an IT conference this week in Vegas. Tonight is the wrapup party.
Blink 182 playing for us this year, along with the Bleachers. Should be a good time!
Gotta get up at 3am though to catch my flight home tomorrow, so can't party too late.

Mrs Boatboy and I are both off today. I went for a pre-dawn run, then got the kiddos off to school. Got caught up on some shredding (fun, eh?) and rifled through a few work emails. Getting ready to head out for a lunch date. :db

Mrs Boatboy and I are both off today. I went for a pre-dawn run, then got the kiddos off to school. Got caught up on some shredding (fun, eh?) and rifled through a few work emails. Getting ready to head out for a lunch date. :db

I cut back on my runs this time of year. With the humidity, the heat index is still mid 90's at 5:00 am. I'm only running around 3 miles until cooler weather. I signed up today for the Savannah Bridge Run in December. I have a few months to get in shape. I hear it's pretty tough.

I cut back on my runs this time of year. With the humidity, the heat index is still mid 90's at 5:00 am. I'm only running around 3 miles until cooler weather. I signed up today for the Savannah Bridge Run in December. I have a few months to get in shape. I hear it's pretty tough.

I hadn't run in 3 weeks before today. Been very lazy. Gorgeous morning for a run though. I stayed in the neighborhood. 60F and breezy. And with so many irrigation systems running, I had a cooling mist blowing around me for much of it. Barely broke a sweat. :)

I'm a little frustrated with myself. This time a year ago, I was just about peaking prior to the Army 10 Miler in early Oct. Amazing what a year can do.

Putting Dad to work this morning, tidying the winery and bottling the LR 3 Country Cabernet.

Edit: we racked and stabilized the WW Cab Merlot as well.

Last edited:
Making an extract beer (Whiskey Barrel Stout) and starting an Eclipse Nebbilo wine kit. My wife should know better than to leave me alone on a long weekend.

Although since she wasn't here to be my cellar rat, I did have a minor mishap with the beer. Turned my head at just the wrong time and a minor boil over. I am sure I will never hear the end of that.

Racked three wines today (so far) with the AIO. Thinking of bottling a Chardonnay kit tonight. Raining on an off around these parts, in the low 50's so may change dinner plans to a meatloaf with ho-made mac'n'cheese to use the oven and warm up the house. Something not right about changing over to the heat setting on the heat pump in early September. Maybe October, but never in September.

Cleaned a case of beer bottles and two cases of wine bottles, more soaking in some oxiclean. Did the weeks grocery shopping since my wife got called into work. She had signed up for this weekend and since they very rarely call them in, thought nothing of it, until the phone range at 7 am this morning. So much for our planned breakfast outing. Also finished pressure washing the back half of the house. Now plan on deep frying some chicken fingers and fish for dinner. I'm sure I'll drink a beer or two to keep myself honest. Have my first attempt at a fantasy football draft tonight. The 11 yr old football guru is "reserved" to help me out. This should be interesting, to say the least.

Love FFB! Been playing for ~10 years now. Mrs IB has actually won more 1st place trophy's than me by far. Its kinda ruined football in some ways as you care more about how your individual players do than who actually won the game......

If you have access to the NFL Redzone channel you will love it as they show all the scoring drives for every game and every team all day long on Sunday's. Redzone is on from 10:00AM to 6:00PM on Sundays at our house. You can watch it on your smartphone or tablet as well! :r

We just do "auto draft" So who you get is up to luck but you can rate players you want higher than others stacking the deck so to speak more in your favor if that player is available and its your pick.

Have my first attempt at a fantasy football draft tonight. The 11 yr old football guru is "reserved" to help me out. This should be interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:
Killer weekend, Friday I picked the last of my cabernet, total of 84lbs from 4 vines, afterwards the temps hit 110 so I hid out in the winehouse just puttering and cleaning up more for crush. Saturday we drove up to Paso Robles to the Vina Robles Winery and saw Chicago. At the last minute we decided to take the 101 up the coast to enjoy the drive and hopefully cooler weather, not taking into consideration that it was a 3 day weekend and everyone else in Southern California had the same idea. One of our major freeways was also shut down due to a fire in the burbank area so what should have been a 3.5 hour drive turned into about 6 hours. Chicago still sounds great and played from 8:00 to 11:00 in 90 degree temperatures with only a 15 min. break. Our seats were about 7 rows back in the blue section, and the Cabernet was really good. Sunday got up early and blasted home (3 hours down the 5 Fwy), a little more winery clean up and BBQ'd a Cowboy Ribeye, reverse seared that was pretty good. Monday I found a little wine rack that I fitted into the antique shelf in the corner, put my 2015 bottles on the rack and my 2016 up in the loft. Completely ready for Crush just waiting on grapes. Whew!!!!! Now for 3 days in the office to rest up and get ready for the next weekend.
Mike

Cabernet.JPG

VinaRobles.JPG

WineRack.JPG

Love FFB! Been playing for ~10 years now. Mrs IB has actually won more 1st place trophy's than me by far. Its kinda ruined football in some ways as you care more about how your individual players do than who actually won the game......

If you have access to the NFL Redzone channel you will love it as they show all the scoring drives for every game and every team all day long on Sunday's. Redzone is on from 10:00AM to 6:00PM on Sundays at our house. You can watch it on your smartphone or tablet as well! :r

We just do "auto draft" So who you get is up to luck but you can rate players you want higher than others stacking the deck so to speak more in your favor if that player is available and its your pick.
Ducked down in the basement as we just experienced hail and were under a tornado warning. Didn't know where that came from. Glad I pressure washed the West side of the house yesterday so that the storm could plaster leaves and other debris all over it....

The draft was a blast! Lot's of trash talking between people I really don't know (except for two of them I work with). My Son (he's 12 not 11, my bad) really enjoyed the time we spent together. Though there was lot's of waiting between picks since we had #9 of 10. So it would be two quick picks and then a 10-15 minute wait since a bunch of them did the auto draft, which went the full 1 minute 30 seconds before picking. The "draft analyzer" said we had the strongest first 8 picks, then the second to weakest next 8. Oh well, time well spent with my youngest Son. He'll be missing his older brother here in a months time, so this is a great way to spend time with Dad. I could see us entering a league and each of us having a team and trying to outsmart one another.

Just what I needed, another reason to sit in front of a computer screen!

On monday i picked 3 lugs of concord grapes. We made Jam and juice with 2 of the lugs.
the 3rd I decided to try making concord wine. Brix was low at 17 so I'll be sweetening it up.
I'm not sure the wine will turn out, lots of grapes had been bitten by bird/wasps and were open. I tried picking out most of them but I'm sure I missed a lot.
It's all crushed and sitting in a pail now, 20L with skins. I'll add yeast tonight.

I also added another shelf in our cellar for our canned goods, and moved my one wine rack as a result. Pretty full now.

20170906_065727.jpg

Went down to Nats park to watch the team clinch the NL East championship. Beautiful day with my beautiful wife. Had a chance to see @mainshipfred and his wife while we were there. Now getting ready to throw some tri tip on the grill.

Did a little work with wood sunday, my wife found 4 brackets and asked if I could use them somewhere - I just happened to have a couple of 38" shelves I pulled from cabinet last weekend so up they went on the wall behind my work area. My wine making partner dropped off a neutral barrel his old group just retired this year that I plan to use to oak my wine. I broke it down and plan on grinding about 1/8" from the inside stave surface, clean up the outside lightly then rip into 3/4" strips. I think if I then cut them into 18" lengths they should fit into my carboys and just barely stick up into the neck so I can reach them to pull them anytime I want. I'm hoping I can give the refreshed wood a toasting in my gas grill but we'll see if that works or not. Ended up with 30 staves so now I need to design something to use them for like wine glass holders or ????? stuff.
Mike

Shelfs.jpg

Staves.jpg

Ducked down in the basement as we just experienced hail and were under a tornado warning. Didn't know where that came from. Glad I pressure washed the West side of the house yesterday so that the storm could plaster leaves and other debris all over it....

The draft was a blast! Lot's of trash talking between people I really don't know (except for two of them I work with). My Son (he's 12 not 11, my bad) really enjoyed the time we spent together. Though there was lot's of waiting between picks since we had #9 of 10. So it would be two quick picks and then a 10-15 minute wait since a bunch of them did the auto draft, which went the full 1 minute 30 seconds before picking. The "draft analyzer" said we had the strongest first 8 picks, then the second to weakest next 8. Oh well, time well spent with my youngest Son. He'll be missing his older brother here in a months time, so this is a great way to spend time with Dad. I could see us entering a league and each of us having a team and trying to outsmart one another.

Just what I needed, another reason to sit in front of a computer screen!

Love the fantasy football. I've been playing with the same 12 guys for about 10 yrs now. (Best I ever did was 2nd place) Draft day we do in person. Some guys it's the only day of the year I see them. Tons of greasy food, trash talkin and catching up.
Afterwards we stand in front of our giant draft board, compare teams and try and see who had the best draft and who had the worst draft. Mike is right, where you don't care what team wins, just how your players perform. But I don't let that ever get in the way of watching our Eagles.
Normally on opening Sunday some of us will watch football all day long. But I had priorities this year with my crush on Saturday, Sunday was spent tending to the wine, checking levels, additives, pitching yeast, and cleaning and reorganizing. Which was just fine by me. Good luck

Today I processed 105kg of Muscat Citron. I did according to the white scheme: crushing, applying metabisulphite 120 mg / kg, pressing metabisulphite into juice 80 mg / l. It turned out 60L juice. In a barrel of juice threw a plastic bottle of ice and put it in the cellar. Tomorrow I'll take the sludge off and bring in the yeast.

IMG_3230.JPG

IMG_3231.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

2.jpg

Latest posts

Back