What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kim, hope your health issues are resolved and a thing of the past. You've got to stick around an make sure those grand kids are brought up right, with a lot of lovin' from grandma!

Welcome back!

Moving day approaching quickly for Mom and Dad. Went over and got 'the good stuff' to store in my wine fridge while they wait for their new place to be done. Gonna be tempting. :i Here's a sampling...

Wow, there are some nice older vintages in that set! I'll keep them safe for you if you don't have room, please, please, pretty please! Promise I won't "tip" them as I drink them...

I spent Friday, saturday and sunday making final adjustments on my 16 cab and pinot noir. Numbers were all good, just had to do final racking and get correct S02 so it's ready to bottle next Sunday. 43 Gallons is by far the most I've (we've) tried to do at once, should be fun. Cleaned up the Winehouse, ordered 32 cases of Burgandy bottles (minimum order amount, I only need about half that right now). Picking them up today. Can't wait for next weekend.....
mike

IMG_3881.JPG

IMG_3884.JPG

Holy Cow! :sh:sh:sh

Took a little 5 day trip with the fam, parents, siblings and spouses, to Puerto Vallarta, not a kid in sight!! View from the deck with with the city across the bay, absolutely beautiful here. Full time concierge, chef, bartender, and housekeeper, I could get used to this....

Wifey and kids abandoned me last night to go to our cabin up in @bkisel 's neck of the woods, so I'm home alone. Younger brother came over last night (into this morning, like 1:30 am, ouch), then came over to help me pressure wash my front porch, which I haven't done since I bought the house (in 1993). Made a dramatic difference. Hope the "boss" likes it.

Made a boli and looking forwared to some football tonight as I sleep in the chair with a big glass of red wine.

8-26-17_pressure-washer.JPG

Some cousins and friends and I do one or two weddings a year, grilling steak and other meat. Just for friends and family. We're just paid in steak and beer, it's a fun night out.
Did one wedding tonight. Forgot to take a picture with both grills loaded with steaks, but you get the idea.
There are two of the big grills, we usually do some chicken first, then the steaks. Charcoal with oak sticks (from tobacco farms) for heat.

The photo with the few steaks on it is after we're done cooking for everyone else, we cook ours.

20170826_180529.jpg

20170826_173214.jpg

20170826_164243.jpg

@ceeaton glad y'all didn't get stung, now get some silicone caulk and close up those open hole ends!!

TXWineDuo

QUOTE=ceeaton;658638]To my surprise, about 10 wasps flew out of the bottom of the aluminum support for the rotator (bottom of image). No biggie, I didn't get stung, but I'm allergic to bee stings (have two EPI pens in the closet). I've been "desensitized" as a kid, but don't really want to test it out (especially with a few wasps). I calmly moved down the ladder in a quick fashion, making sure I didn't place my had upon a wasp (which were mostly around my arm pits and head). Meanwhile my son, who was on the roof, slowly backed off, he didn't get stung either.

Wondered why they didn't make a nest in the porch vinyl as they usually do. Guess they found a better home. Tonight my son will take a can of spray up and apply it down through the pipe. Hopefully we can bring the antenna down tomorrow and make some repairs (have a smaller one waiting in the wings to put up in it's absence).

I think I need another beer![/QUOTE]

About half of our walls have no insulation so three days ago Friday we had cellulose insulation blown in through the exterior side of the walls. The process left the exterior of the house looking like a fifty cal. machine gun had taken aim on it. Two of those walls take the majority of the sun in the afternoon and we were looking forward to seeing the difference once they finished. Excitedly we started up the AC unit..... which decided at that moment to die and blow only hot air!

In a wildly fortunate set of events I called my AC guy who was just finishing a job a few miles from my house and he showed up within a half an hour. The bad news, the compressor froze up and repairs would cost 2000.00. The good news, a new unit installed would be 5500.00 and at 3:30 it was early enough for him to go pick up the new unit, schedule delivery, hire a crane and help for 8:00am Saturday morn. By 3:00 Sat. afternoon we had AC again and all this happened heading into a weeklong heatwave that would have been unbearable in our little house. The insulation also made a big difference to back half of the house.

NewAC.JPG

Geez, that looks like a commercial AC unit big enough to cool a small office building!

Geez, that looks like a commercial AC unit big enough to cool a small office building!

Jim, look at the picture closely...I see some sort of palm trees in the background. I think it might get a bit warmer there than it does around here (although we get the dreaded high humidity at times).

Edit: that actually resembles a large entertainment console to me...

Last edited:
Saw that just this AM as our SIL texted the forecast for this week. Not a good week to be without AC in SOCAL!

By 3:00 Sat. afternoon we had AC again and all this happened heading into a weeklong heatwave that would have been unbearable in our little house. The insulation also made a big difference to back half of the house.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 6.41.09 PM.png

Latest posts

Back