What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a kit, right? Why do you want to adjust? If you add tartaric, that will bring your pH even lower. Does it taste flat? I don't recall it seeming flat when I was over there.

It's pretty weak but I think I'm having a problem with my meter. Getting really inconsistant readings. I'm holding off doing anything until I hear back from Vinmetrica.

It's pretty weak but I think I'm having a problem with my meter. Getting really inconsistant readings. I'm holding off doing anything until I hear back from Vinmetrica.

Get some 4.01 and 7.01 standards so you can verify/calibrate.

This is why I think my meter or probe is bad. Did 3 tests on the same wine with the following results.

1. Ph 3.24 titrant used 4.70ml TA 9.4g/l
2. Ph 3.17 titrant used 2.85ml TA 5.7g/l
3. Ph 3.15 titrant used 4.00ml TA 8.0g/l

Your pH readings are very close, +\- .05, your TA readings look funky though. Assuming your pH readings are accurate (I think they are), your problem may be more related to your consistency in measuring your 5ml titration sample, which vary A bit more, and that difference is doubled when you multiply by 2 to get your TA. To get accurate and consistent TA's, measuring your wine sample, DI water addition, and titrant should be as accurate as possible. You should be using the measuring tube below that came with the Pro.

IMG_0883.jpg

FYI, you can also get some pH 3.0 solution. Even though you can't calibrate with it on most meters it is a really nice check since it is pretty close to the range of some of the more acidic white wines. Also test your Sodium Hydroxide solution using this: http://www.piwine.com/potassium-acid-phthalate-n10-solution.html , it has really helped me with my TA testing since the sodium hydroxide solution can loose a lot of strength pretty quickly upon opening (and being exposed to CO2).

For doing measurements on your own, try the trusted and true FermCalc. http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/ If they didn't offer that calculator I probably would have quit making wine some time ago.

I am going to bike down to the lakefront and go sailing!

It was an absolutely gorgeous day on the big lake today. Temps in the mid-70s, low dewpoint, not a cloud in the sky.

Then, the bike trip back takes me past a riverside biergarten in a county park, and, well, I was thirsty and hungry and all.... :r

I got home and bought a huge pork shoulder for $0.99/lb, and butchered into two pieces. One will be a simple slow roast on the grill for tonight. The bigger piece will be made into jerk pork some other day.

These are not my pix, but give a good idea of conditions.

39528847_J_24.jpg

hubbard%2Bpark%2Bbeer%2Bgarden%2Bpretzel.JPG

Up EARLY, packed and off the field by 6:45. Then to IHOP for breakfast (and coffee) by 7:30. Got home, unloaded, cleaned up some gear and put everything away, then went off for a 4 mile run (I'm guessing the IHOP coffee had some extra caffeine, otherwise I'm not sure where the energy came from). Got back, cleaned up and had lunch. Then made lunch for the kids and went downstairs to mix up the Passport Cabernet Sauvignon Rose and got a starter going. Then gave #2 child a bath and went back downstairs to pitch the yeast. Now I'm getting ready to sit on my arse for the rest of the day and watch the Nats game. I suspect there may be a nap in my future.

A couple snaps from last night below. A great game that we won 4-1; followed by fireworks, kids running the bases, then camping out in the outfield. They played a movie on the Jumobtron, which kept everyone up past midnight. But what a fun time.

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

Need to go back to work to rest up after this weekend. Mrs IB decided it was "deep cleaning" time. I hate "deep cleaning" time! LOL Washing windows, cleaning out all the dust and gunk that has collected in things, rebuilding a window screen that one of the dogs decided to turn into an "emergency exit", trimming trees, shrubs, cleaning up the side yard that seems to collect old pots and stuff you have been meaning to take to the dump. Today it was install a new kitchen faucet. The old one was a Costco $99 special that lasted 12 years but started to leak a few months ago unless you left it in just the right position. The new one was an Amazon special that looks like a $300 faucet but only cost <$100. Looks nice, we will see how well it holds up.

We have exactly 2 more house payments and the house is paid off! 15 year loan was the smartest move we ever did.

Looking at doing a kitchen remodel, new windows, new stucco very soon!

51Z56Bb2TfL._SL1001_.jpg

Today it was install a new kitchen faucet.

Looking at doing a kitchen remodel, new windows, new stucco very soon!

Wow, talk about "scope creep"!! :)

It took us ~15 years of living in the house to finally decide to remodel the kitchen. (I did this by myself a few years ago, basically because I couldn't bring myself to sign the project over to anyone!) Anyway, it is so nice to have a decent kitchen instead of the crappy one we lived with for the first 15 years. Best of luck if/when you go for it.

There are not a whole lot of new houses in LA. Just no land to build on. It's all owned by the USFS, DOE or Indian Pueblo land. Our house was built in 1974 IIRC and was in great condition when we purchased it. We have remodeled both bathrooms (ourselves) and tiled the whole house. We purchased all new appliances when we bought and we just purchased all new SS last year. I could probably pull it off myself as we are seriously looking at cabinets from IKEA. You can save a boatload of $$$$, just have to drive to IKEA as they do not ship and closest one is Denver IIRC. We want new manufactured counter tops as well (pro install on that). Problem is Mrs IB wants to "open" up" the kitchen and you know what that means... $$$$$

Our kitchen is in a great place for parties, kind of the center of the house surrounded by dining area, living room, den but it has a low ceiling that has a false drop so it makes the kitchen seem smaller than it is. Want to push it back and remove the drop. Perhaps add a big skylight. Then she wants to remove a column that I think is load bearing so even more $$$$$.........

Wow, talk about "scope creep"!! :)

It took us ~15 years of living in the house to finally decide to remodel the kitchen. (I did this by myself a few years ago, basically because I couldn't bring myself to sign the project over to anyone!) Anyway, it is so nice to have a decent kitchen instead of the crappy one we lived with for the first 15 years. Best of luck if/when you go for it.

Tit has a low ceiling that has a false drop so it makes the kitchen seem smaller than it is.

I HATE that! We had these soffits sticking out above the cabinets that loomed into the kitchen space. I was so happy to take a sledgehammer to those!

There are not a whole lot of new houses in LA. Just no land to build on. It's all owned by the USFS, DOE or Indian Pueblo land.

Plus, you have that small matter of well-loved Vitis plants in the yard!

I could probably pull it off myself as we are seriously looking at cabinets from IKEA. You can save a boatload of $$$$, just have to drive to IKEA as they do not ship and closest one is Denver IIRC.

If you decide to go that route, you may want to look into cabinets from Scherr's ( http://www.scherrs.com ). This is custom furniture, custom-designed to the 1/8", but it is flat-packed and shipped like Ikea. Moreover, you can get particle board OR plywood carcasses (I went with plywood), and dovetail hardwood drawer boxes. Probably costs ~1.5x or 2x Ikea, however, but it was worth it in our case to maximize functionality and aesthetics.

We want new manufactured counter tops as well (pro install on that).

Not for everyone, but I wound up putting in soapstone countertops, mostly because i just like them, but also because I could do the fabrication and installation myself. As you probably know, you can cut soapstone with carbide woodworking tools, so I could do it myself (~$1300 shipped, plus a lot of work).

Problem is Mrs IB wants to "open" up" the kitchen and you know what that means... $$$$$

Yes, I do know what you mean. I got lucky, and was able to "open up" the kitchen just by expanding a doorway on one non-loadbearing wall from ~32" to 47". That may not sound like much, but it completely changed the character of the kitchen, from "closed off from" the dining room to "open up to" that room. (Okay, I decided to attach a few of pictures to show that.)

Good luck!

CIMG1060.JPG.jpg

CIMG1118.JPG.jpg

CIMG1273.JPG.jpg

CIMG2160.JPG.jpg

CIMG2305.JPG.jpg

After remodeling a rental for the last 3 days, I took the day off. Church, breakfast with my love, picked up and spread 46 bags of mulch, gravelled 30 foot of driveway and a parking area, sorted Christmas stuff with my sweetie to trash, Salvation Army and keep and then finally.......

Blended 10% Viognier into my Chardonnay from last year, cleaned and tasted a little. I do love a day off :ib

IMG_4490.jpg

After remodeling a rental for the last 3 days, I took the day off. Church, breakfast with my love, picked up and spread 46 bags of mulch, gravelled 30 foot of driveway and a parking area, sorted Christmas stuff with my sweetie to trash, Salvation Army and keep and then finally.......

Blended 10% Viognier into my Chardonnay from last year, cleaned and tasted a little. I do love a day off :ib

Be sure and let us know when you get one! :)

Watching the All-Star game. But after last night's home run derby, I'm sure it'll be a yawn-fest.

Latest posts

Back