What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am your guy. First rule. Do NOT enter TX until October unless you love heat and humidity ......... :rdo

On the way home we drove with the windows up and the vent on, no A/C. He asked what was up and I said he had to get used to the stifling heat that he'll have to deal with in TX in September (possibly late August). Went on a site and showed him the temperatures for the next 10 days, makes our warm spells look like late winter weather!

My Mom emailed me and said the same thing. My parents started dating when they were stationed in San Marcos, she said like many things in Texas, the heat is hotter and the bugs grow bigger than anywhere else she has been. She turns 84 today, Happy Birthday Mom!

Last edited:
I try and avoid TX at all cost between May through September. My Dad passed in mid August of last year and I had no choice obviously. It was like a wet sauna.......

October is just starting to cool off. Its not bad there from October through April. The only time its not humid is when a cool front blows through and pushes out all the humidity that comes up from the gulf. That last about 2-3 days max and then its back.

Average humidity is probably like 80%. That is actually dry compared to Houston at 90-100%! LOL

Does your son suffer from celiac disease? If so do they have GF options on food these days?

On the way home we drove with the windows up and the vent on, no A/C. He asked what was up and I said he had to get used to the stifling heat that he'll have to deal with in TX in September (possibly late August). Went on a site and showed him the temperatures for the next 10 days, makes our warm spells look like late winter weather!

My Mom emailed me and said the same thing. My parents started dating when they were stationed in San Marcos, she said like many things in Texas, the heat is hotter and the bugs grow bigger than anywhere else she has been. She turns 84 today, Happy Birthday Mom!

Does your son suffer from celiac disease? If so do they have GF options on food these days?

No, that is the younger son, T1 diabetes and Celiac, he has no chance of getting in the military. Wouldn't be surprised if just having Celiac alone keeps you out. He wants to be a sports medicine MD. Need to win that lottery to pay for school.

Racking wine. T-storm just hit, about 3/4 inch of rain in 10 minutes, and it is still going strong. Temp dropped about 15 degrees in 5 minutes.

Edit: got 1.26 inches of rain, which was much needed. Racked the Zin batch (8 gallons) and the Syrah from this Spring (6 gallons + 4 L bottle). Added 8 Xoakers to the Syrah batch, American Med+. Cooled sample was good but had some funkiness to it, expected at 2 mos old.

Last edited:
I've heard somewhere that, in terms of difficult ages, 4th grade girls and kindergarten boys are the hardest to deal with. Well I've currently got both under my care for the night. (6 yr old nephew spending the weekend).
With my honey out for a while, and this storm just about starting, it looks like I'm about to have myself a long night.
Running out to move some tools that were in the back of my truck as the rain started , my little helper spilled a 5lb tin of little buttonhead metal stud screws everywhere. Deep breath.
Earlier I attempted watching "ordinary people" but somehow nickleodeon keeps ending up on the tv. Seems like every inch of the house is a mess. So far we've had long talks about littering, sharing, keeping hands to yourself, and telling the truth vs tattle tailing.
As I recall, during my childhood we never relied on our parents to keep us entertained. Just to keep us in line. I'm losing my mind. I told mom not to worry and that "I got this". I lied. Is 7:00 too early for bedtime??? If the power goes out I may have a nervous breakdown.
Currently writing this post as I'm hiding during hide n seek. I bargained for hide n seek to be followed by "Operation clean the house before mom gets home". I genuinely thought i was going to be able to bottle some wine tonight too. Deep breath.

A few weeks back, I added some Tartaric acid to the Viognier. Some of it fell out of solution, so I racked today - one last time in prep for bottling. Had a half glass to taste and I love it. Will let it sit for a week or two just to see if anything settles out, then bottle time. :db

Went to my very first auction today. At almost 60 I can crowd that of my list of haven't ever done that things. Had a great time, bought looks like new Pack and Play for when the grandkids are here (portable crib) and a neat looking 4 gallon crock plus some other things. My wife wants to go back next week, they are having an estate sale. Who knows might be some wine stuff.

A few weeks back, I added some Tartaric acid to the Viognier. Some of it fell out of solution, so I racked today - one last time in prep for bottling. Had a half glass to taste and I love it. Will let it sit for a week or two just to see if anything settles out, then bottle time. :db

I'm about to do my first tweak. Adding wine tannin to a cheap Malbec kit per your recommendation. May also add some tartaric to a Pinot Noir that had a TA of 5.7 and maybe bend the straps for the press.

This morning, I said 'ah, screw it' and decided to bottle the LR Vermentino and the 2016 California Viognier. Sipping the remnants of the Vermentino with my lunch now - very nice. Tonight, we are going to the minor league Potomac Nationals game with the kids' cub scout pack. After the game, kids get to run the bases and we have fireworks; after which we get to camp out on the field. :db

If I have a little time this afternoon, I'll get the LR Cabernet Sauvignon Rose started.

Can someone help me please or get me somewhere where I can do the calc myself. I have a cheap Malbec kit. 5 gallons with a Ph of 3.2 and TA of 5.3. I would like to get the TA to around 7. The one calculator I found says 23g of tartaric. Does this seem right. Per everyones recommendation I was only going to use half.

Can someone help me please or get me somewhere where I can do the calc myself. I have a cheap Malbec kit. 5 gallons with a Ph of 3.2 and TA of 5.3. I would like to get the TA to around 7. The one calculator I found says 23g of tartaric. Does this seem right. Per everyones recommendation I was only going to use half.

This is a kit, right? Why do you want to adjust? If you add tartaric, that will bring your pH even lower. Does it taste flat? I don't recall it seeming flat when I was over there.

Latest posts

Back