What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IIRC, this would be your first spring in this house, right?

Technically, our third. Settled in April, 2015, moved in May. The yard was pretty well prepped and ready to go by the previous owner in the preceding fall, so I didn't do a thing the first year. Last year, I kinda let it go a bit and am paying for it now. But I like the results. The world looks very nice with a fresh coat of mulch. ;) And I've always loved the dark mulch - it really makes things pop. We'll have a wealth of flowers and butterflies in a few weeks.

Back out in a few. Just waiting for the kids to get up so I can say 'good morning'. And its our youngest's birthday, so I should probably wish him a happy birthday as well. Hopefully, I'm done by 1:00 and can catch a nap before they get home from school. :sl

Last edited:
Technically, our third. Settled in April, 2015, moved in May.

Yikes! Time flies! Mea culpa.

I think of my house as pretty danged old. It was built in 1929 — that’s ancient history, right? But, it occurred to me the other day that we have been in this house for ~20 years. And, that turns out to be well over 20% of my house’s lifetime. So, I have owned this house for a pretty good fraction of the time that anyone has owned it. Huh, who would’ve thought?!

Got the Vermentino and Blueberry Hard Lemonade racked from secondary and stabilized, then foiled and labeled the Winery Series Amarone. A little lawn mowing and chilling later this afternoon after a few busy days. Was up in Baltimore yesterday for my niece's 1st Communion, then back home and entertaining sister in law, niece, nephew and mother in law.

After dinner I wanted to go for a quick trip to the local Weis market and my daughter volunteered to chauffeur me as she is accumulating hours so she can take her drivers test in mid-June. Nice ride, pretty scenery, I'm listening to the radio and all of a sudden in slow motion, sort of like a dream, we are driving off the edge of the road on a hairpin turn downhill into rocks used to build up the berm of the road (three pound each type rocks). She tried backing up, I finally convinced her to drive forward and slowly turn the wheel towards the macadam. An older driver in a truck stopped to see if we needed help (good intentions). He saw the setup (young woman with old man in passengers seat) and realized he needed to get some distance between us and him. No flat tires, just the right front tire rubs when turned sharply left onto the plastic protection underneath (I think something popped out, just not willing to rip up my back on our rock driveway to check out, I'll check it at work tomorrow). So much for an evening drive. I was very composed, checked the underwear-no stains, but now have a beer with a wine chaser sitting here at the computer. So much for not drinking during the week.

That'll teach me not to run out of coffee!

Last edited:
Today, I fired one of my engineers. One of those days, I guess worse for him, but it doesn't feel that way. A lovely thunderstorm has come over the mountains and a gentle rain is falling. A glass of 2012 Cab Sauv helps restore the soul.

Just saw this Craig, sorry to hear. Are we still on for tomorrow?

Yes we are on. Only shook up the driving instructor, not the car. I drove to work through a monsoon today and the car acted normal (no foul language or anything, it was in a pretty good mood, but then again it's a Friday and it will be hauling juice buckets and grapes tomorrow). Aiming to leave up here between 8:30 and 8:45 am, which should put us in their parking lot at 9:45 to 10 am. Will text if late (or super early, my wife is excited to spend the day with her husband, a rarity with four children). Knowing my wife she will be doing a wine sampling, so that will keep us there for a while (and makes to trip back to Hanover for lunch rather amusing for me).

I had to drive to Richmond today about 1 1/2 hours in it going 20 mph on I 95. Boatboy Jim just told me a friend of his is in a Jazz Band and playing at one of our local wineries. Probably want to head back around noon or so. That should be enough time for you to get tired of me. Looking forward to meeting you and see you then.

Baseball was rained out, then our afternoon babysitter turned into an evening babysitter and then no babysitter at all. I took advantage of the free time and held 'rack-a-palooza'. Racked 7 batches total - All 4 2016 Chileans, plus the blueberry hard lemonade, 2016 CA Viognier, and guava. Gave the Chileans another does of Nobelese and topped up SO2. Got some steaks in the hot tub and will finish them on a screaming hot cast iron pan in a little while. Now trying to decide what liquid refreshment to serve w/ the steak.

PS: last night, we watched "A Dog's Purpose". A real tear-jerker, but a great movie. Really made me miss our Golden Retriever.

Had a nice but brief meet up with Ceeaton at Harford. Destemmed and crushed a lug of grapes added the juice (Syrah) and put it in my wine closet at 59#. I did add k-meta although that seems to be controversial. I want to keep it in there for an extended maceration, maybe 3-5 days. I'm trying to follow the Maloney Winery procedure for his Cab Sauvs. He also ferments for 25-35 days on the skins. Any comments on his procedures or what yeast to use for this long of a fermentation?

P.S. I also bought a 6.5 gallon Hungarian barrel.

I did, you so highly recommended it. I did a tasting and although I'm not really a fan of floural wines it was pretty good. Really bought it for my wife. Would have bought more but I already spent too much on the juice, barrel and some misc stuff. Plus Craig gave me 3 bottles.

That's to offset your costs and keep you coming back!

My wife did a tasting while mainshipfred was purchasing his barrel, then she did another tasting with him later (made Teresa earn her keep). Needless to say she had a non-alcoholic iced tea with lunch, and was half asleep by the time we got home.

Back